Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Barb def with Conc.

Discussion in 'Barbarian' started by CyberHawk, Jan 29, 2004.

1. CyberHawk

CyberHawk IncGamers Member

Barb def with Conc.

Well I posted this question in the guide, but since the database seems fried as of late here it goes again.

My def on my barb while concentrate is activated is a little over 13k, he uses

Arreats
    Durial Shell
    GoreRiders
    Highlords ammy
    Laying of Hands
    String
    Ravenfrost
    Manald Ring
    CresentMoon or Doombringer, (I keep switching trying to see whats best)
    Gerkes Pavise

So how do I reach these numbers of 20k def or more like i hear so many do?
    I've maxxed all that need maxing, and have followed the guide pretty much to the letter, but I still cant seem to get past 14k to save my life! So hows it done? Do you see anything in my items that might need changing, without costing a fortune to get?
    Any advice would be helpful...but none the less the barb is doing great in hell, as far as a unreal tank goes..so no complaining there..I would just like to get the awesome def those around me have..thx.

2. Halciet

Halciet IncGamers Member

Are you only hitting 14k while using the skill concentrate? The defense from it only activates while swinging, so you have to have the character statistics gump open when you use the skill to see the defense.

Likewise, the defense on your shield is rather low, as compared to the 500 or so you can get off of Storm; Duriel's is also not the most powerful defensive armor around. I assume you have max shout, conc, and at least a point in ironskin...it could be that you don't have enough +skills to be hitting the high numbers; are you using echoers on the switch?

-Hal

3. CyberHawk

yes 14k while concentrate is active...8100 def when its not...I have no echo items, and Gerkes is like 250 something def I believe, would 200 plus def really make much difference?
    I mean I could go for armor like courpsemourn or Bane when I get the lvl, with like 1200 def..but is it really worth it?
    Yes shout maxed and IS 1 point.

I can see switching around some armor maybe, and perhaps finding a +1 charm on one of my many muels..but i still dont see how I'm gonna hit that 20k number. The shield I'm stuck with, casue its the best i got for this build..unless perhaps Mosers, but thats less def. Noone will let go of there SS, not even for a whole list full of hard to get items I got 4sale!

And 1 more question I got for my weapon...I remember Cresent Moon mentioned as a pretty good sword...but my best 3 swords I got are

Doom
    Cresent Balrog Blade
    and FlameBellow

which would these 3 be the best?

4. All Wheel Drive

All Wheel Drive Banned

Actually all of them disappoint me, cause they're not fast at all... Try a high%ed Lightsabre with some max dmg jewel on it, or try to get a Cruel cb with 2*shael on it. My advice, though...

5. CyberHawk

well Cresent is VeryFast attack speed, and I got a ccb,(max damage of 494w/300ed on it) but Flame still outdid its power, plus Flame and Cresent..well also Doom have stats..which to me make them all better than a ccb...but main qustion is still my def...
    I mean my damage with Cresent at my current state is 2600, with Doom or Flame its around 3200...good enough to leech i guess..but still main question is about def.

I remember Hal saying he did like 8k with his concentratebarb..I can only dream I guess.

6. boigoth

boigoth IncGamers Member

7. Diehard

Diehard IncGamers Member

A few things:

1. Two +3 warcries weapons on your switch will give you a big boost to shout (and BO). Highly recommended. + barb skills items are great as they boost both shout and ironskin.

2. Duriel's Shell doesn't have enough defense. If you play ladder, then upgrade it to a Great Hauberk. Keep in mind that magic/rare shields and armors can have huge defense (max godly sacred armor has something like 1800 def).

3. A defiance merc can give you a nice boost to def.

4. Charms with the "stalwart" prefix can add up to 100 def each.

Yes, that 100-200 def here or there does end up making a difference. If my recollection of the def forumla is correct, with 21 shout, 21 conc, and 2 ironskin (adding in the +1 from BC) your def bonus is:

300% + 40% + 300% = 640%

That means each 1 additional def on an item turns into 7.4 def in battle. That's not even considering skill bonuses from items.

8. Halciet

Halciet IncGamers Member

Yes, a pair of echoers and stormshield/higher defense armor will make a big difference. That 200 extra defense on storm alone should give you, between shout, conc, and ironskin, at least another 1-1.2k defense.

My level 99 barb is wearing almost the exact gear set-up you have, though with enigma, verdungo's, storm, and bk ring. He taps out at 28k defense on swing. You definately need to shop those echoers, and then look into getting some higher-frame armor, or upgrading as others have mentioned. If you wanted to, you could invest your bash points in ironskin instead, though with low end armor, it's not going to add much (hell, even with EXTREMELY hig-defense armor, it usually only adds between 5-7k).

-Hal

9. CyberHawk

well i went and tried some of the highest armor I had, CourpseMourn 1295 def, and whoa, did it make a difference my concentrate swing def went from a 14k to just under 20k..so I caan surely see now that a little goes a long way...I will surely start looking for some echo weapons, and I may go with Bane, since it might help better than Courpse..tho I did have some BlackHades with 45ias alrdy in it...it does ok, makes my speed awesome, def is arounf 17k, but resits suck now...so well see...but thx on the many suggestions.

10. Eisig

Eisig IncGamers Member

Best place to find 2 echoing weaps? Just hit up a vendor or do I have to gamble for them?

Thanks
    -eis

11. Battleseed

Battleseed IncGamers Member

Better question...what are echo weapons? Weapons with + skills on them?

12. Halciet

Halciet IncGamers Member

Man alive, you pulled this one out of the grave, lol. It's been a dead thread for over a month.

Echoing weapons are weapons with the prefix "Echoing" - it gives +3 to warcries.

-Hal

13. Hacker24

Hacker24 IncGamers Member

I know that this question has been asked a million times, but i wanted to know what lvl i have to be to shop a pair.

14. Battleseed

Found this thread when I did a search for "echo" :)
    So I shop at Anya for weapons till I find one or better to gamble for them?
    Thanks for responce Hal

15. Halciet

Halciet IncGamers Member

You just shop for them; i don't know the required level to have them offered on the sell list, but I usually just buy mine from Hell Halbu or Larzuk. They're really cheap, gold-wise, and you should get a pair within a half-hour or so of doing store runs. Don't waste the money gambling for them, the chances of getting them that way are so miniscule that it's ridiculous.

-Hal

16. wind

wind IncGamers Member

You can check Malah as well, she'll also have throwing spears with the echoing prefix. Increases your chances of buying one that way. Sort of funny looking with one echoing sword and the others a spear, but hey, if it does the job why not? Besides, eventually if you look off and on for them, you'll finally have two that match.

17. Battleseed

Thanks for the tips guys.