Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Barb build w/ IK Set viable in HC ??

Discussion in 'Hardcore' started by rpgforumsnet, Feb 18, 2004.

1. rpgforumsnet

rpgforumsnet IncGamers Member

Barb build w/ IK Set viable in HC ??

I always heard that the set is not good because of the maul not having uber high dmg and the fact that you can't use a shield.

However the set bonus on the maul is very impressive (I think)

Adds 211-397 Fire Damage (2 items)
    Adds 7-477 Lightning Damage (3 Items)
    Adds 127-364 Cold Damage, 6 sec. Duration (Normal) (4 Items)
    +204 Poison Damage Over 6 Seconds (5 Items)
    Adds 250-361 Magic Damage (Complete Set)

I have never built a barb either in SC or HC so I'm clueless.

Is IK barb viable in HC hell ? Or it sucks given that you have access to most elite uniques?

And what build is most suited to use this set? WW/Berserk/Concentrate?

2. repoarto

repoarto IncGamers Member

My experience with barbs in 1.10 tells that you should build zerker :)

with some to warcry, enemies are stunned while you crush some sense to them.

whirlwind ... if monsters not stunned.. in nm & hell those oblivions will make you slaughter yourself in middle of ww.

Im building zerker whos going to use granfather and shield(not sure what shield) im happy if i get at least 50% block.

Its not too late to put points in dex, so im listening advises between vita/dex.. hehe stormshield would be optional shield but whistans or spike thorn(with shael) would do the trick also.

3. tpiercymtv

tpiercymtv IncGamers Member

IK barb zerk is totally viable. I have on and he OWNZZZZZ. The only problems he has is Ranged Champs and some other champs...but thats it. He can wack Lister and co, Baal, Diablo is easy. Do not max warcry the pluses from the IK set is more than enough. It is hard getting him to lvl 76 tho, it's kinda slow. If you want a build check out my guide, although get your str high enough with pluses from set to wear the armour. My zerker was build around Angelic ring and ammy, and raven this combined with the set gives you plenty ar that you don't need a drop of dex leaving all those points for vitality. Right now my zerker has 4000 life and maxed resists. The only thing to be wary is FE Lister, Amp and Might or Amp and Fan. Amp and Fan Lister...well remake ....You need to play smart tho and use your crys, Howl, Taunt, Battle Cry, and warcy. Oh btw he does max 6.3k at very fast attack ....owns bosses man....and no I disagree no shield no block does not mean you are dead.....it just means you kill faster ;-)
    link to guide: http://forums.rpgforums.net//showthread.php?t=135489

4. BtK-radth

BtK-radth IncGamers Member

i have a lvl 87 ik baba.
    maxed ww, bo, shout, mace mastery.
    tears pit to pieces.
    i generally conc in baal runs, or zerk if knights are around, but zerking is rare.
    i do 4.1k ww, 4.6k conc, and 4.6k zerk
    no block and no def = death, so i would not advise zerk, even wit warcry, cause thats is slow and ranged attacks will **** you.
    and rep, if u make s/s baba, max block.

5. Sip

Sip Banned

well, you dont have to listen to me but...

I dont think having block is really needed anymore. Your defence, high life and dr will be more than enough to make you invincible to melee attacks. Its not melee that kills you (usually), Its mostly those crazy elemental attacks. Although fanat/might packs can be a problem, those are easily avoided. I wouldnt be afraid to make a zerker, concer or ww'er since they all seem to be affective. The set bonuses on IK are really amazing anyway. And if you are still worried about having no block...keep in mind that there are alot of builds that carry shields yet have no block. (my sorc for example). And my barbs block isnt exactly 75% either.

So basically, If you have a full Ik set, the choice is up to you. I reckon the most practical skill would be Whirlwind though (being able to hit many targets, still deal damage and leech large amounts of life/mana without being hurt too bad). I noticed that only being able to attack one target at a time can be really annoying, especially when you are surrounded and getting nowhere.

If you go with a Defiance merc and max shout, your defence will be amazing though D:

6. rpgforumsnet

OK, no block that is, 4k life should probably negate the need of blocking.

I just read your guide, great stuff.

Now some question - (again I never play barb so I have no idea...)

1) Berserk is immue to IM? How so ? I know that if you are using a bow and got IM'ed, you can't shoot. Is that the case for berserk also? Or it's just that you are dealing 70% magical dmg and the 30% physical dmg returned to you doesn't hurt as much?

2) Regarding the merc - I know if you are using the IK set / berserk, you are dealing a lot of magical dmg (which might merc doesn't do any good). But how much increase in overall dmg do you gain if you use might merc ? (let's say you do 4k berserk dmg).

I'm definitely going to build one soon - sounds like fun and I always love to have barb joining the party for BO. Now I can be likable just like the other barb ;-)

7. tpiercymtv

Well thanks for the comment on my guide.

The first point. Zerk is immune to IM cuz it converts all of your damage to magic damage. Now this is a good and a bad thing. Good your immune to IM as long as you have the mana for the attack (mana burn can wreck this immunity, and change your zerk to a normal attack, which will prolly kill ya) but if you keep an eye on the mana bulb it's all good. The bad about zerk is that it doesn't leech at all, so you gotta drink to get mana or life. With angelic tho...it converts 20% dam to mana so i dont run into mana problems unless mana burn bosses or things like that.

Second point:
    The cold mage is soo helpful esp in HC. Before you get to the IK set you will be killin quite slow. Blood tree is normal attack speed. This gives monsters quite alot of time to wack your "naked=0 defense" body. Having this merc freeze monsters makes this soo much more easier. I also notice that most other people get Might mercs so you will get the aura too then. Right now without might I'm doing 6.5k damage and that doesn't include all the IK bonus. So I'd rather go defence than offense, you don't really need anymore killing power than a zerker IK baba. The Damage boost from might is pretty hefty I think it adds like 1.5k dam more from my 6.5 but I'll have to check on that, eventhough I don't think the might merc is worth it. Your cold mage is Immune to IM too....Might merc is not..

A side note, when you get up really high lvl (85+) you will want to do the baal runs and having a zerker means your not scared of that place because of IM. Don't get me wrong it's still nasty but at least you will be able to deal with it.

8. HelzCaretaker

HelzCaretaker IncGamers Member

my preference for 2 handed barbs is to go ww. Right now I have a warpiker and he does great. Like 5.4k ww with might 7k zerk with 1 pt invested. My basic idea is simple, base stats needed to wear the gear. Max bo/shout/mastery/ww rest into iron skin and nat resist. Ik set is good for ww with that 40% crushing blow from ik maul, all u need is 30% ias into maul for the last ww break pt. While venturing in areas with im simply keep zerk on left click and something else on right click I mostly just run thru 2 and 3 ws b4 getting to throne. Ik maul is a very nice set, imo the best 1.10 set with all the individual set piece bonuses. WW is also a very nice leecher since you hit multiple enemies your life stays up at full no need for pots.

Hope this helps you out.

9. STINGER

STINGER IncGamers Member

Good God man dont use Bloodtree Stump get a freaking steel or go Hammer/mace with shield until you are ready for the set.

Steel upgrded to MArt with a Shael smokes NM, you can equip the set before leaving NM if you wish! Right now due to making to many freaking characters I am depleted on some things so my guy is use a Ward and Unique Battl hammer on switch for masty spots and using Steel when the elements arent flaying around like mad like in Act 2 with all the scarabs.

10. TheDarkSide

TheDarkSide Clan Officer - US East Hardcore

Having just completed the Ik set Id have to say it is most impressive . I use WW most of the time and Zerk when knights are around . Id also have to say that this set makes a WW barb much easier to play due to the nice mods . Does incredible damage , dual leech , mf if ya topaz the hat and socket the armor , and looks sweet too . I refuse to solo with this character anymore - Id hate to think the wraith Id take out on my computer if I was to die and not get a loot ...

11. STINGER

STINGER IncGamers Member

I personally see a Zerker being built differently IMO.

Shout Maxed is near worthless say 90% of the time, lvl 1 Shout with +skills gives a decent Bonus with good armor and with the synergy in time from BO lasts very long. If you refresh BO/Shout as one did in 1.09 you will keep Shout on. Yes in public you need to be responsible and not shout away better shout!

Those points not used in shout can allow you to get a Higher Warcry, maybe add to Concentrate for even more effective use, higher NR maybe and there are more possibilities like maxing mastery.

Overall your guide isnt bad I just see how it could be more diverse. Howl is very usefull, but a max Warcry is a thing of beauty!

BTW, my IK set Barb I am working on now ll be the good ole cookie cutter WW barb except for now I am running a 1 point Mastery. I intend on saving all those mastery points to see how he performs in Act 5 Hell with low mastery and WW. If that proves to work out well then I will apply those points to Zerk!

Once again, dont forget about your friend the Steel Driver

12. ch33s3 m4st3r

ch33s3 m4st3r IncGamers Member

if youve never made a barb before id suggest making a sc barb, with less expensive gear to get a feel for barbs

ive built 2 ik barbs, the best build is

max ww
    max mace mastery
    max bo
    rest of your points spread in iron skin and shout
    points in pre reqs and natural res, increased speed, zerk, conc, battle command, etc

13. Vizjerei

Vizjerei IncGamers Member

One of my freind use a barb with the full IK set on HC, he´s atm. lvl 77 and completed Hell alone, only with some WPs from his pala, and ofc. with his pala as backup"loot"

His skills are: 20conc, 20BO, 20Mace Masterie, 20Bash, 1zerk(For immune), 1shout, 1ww and 1 with the warcrie there scares the monsters away, when it get to critical

14. Cleglaw_Himself

Cleglaw_Himself IncGamers Member

A sc barb? What's that?
    Does anyone here still play sc?

I usually just try builds and if I die, try a new one, or try different tactic.

And this IK build sounds nice, I have everything but the boots (and armour of course). Always wanted to make a mace barb.

15. tpiercymtv

Well I totally agree with the steeldriver thing, but at the time I didn't have the runes to upgrade a steel, or a steel for that matter. About not maxing shout...I have to disagree it is VERY useful when you switch to conc (for killing champs) or just today I used it in act 3 against all of those flayers. I was waay to scared to zerk them, cuz there were too many and if the cry wore off well I'd be dead. Conc kills quite slow compared to zerk (esp cuz I didn't put many points in it) and having the extra defense is very nice. It is also usefull when you enter an area to howl...against those nasty ranged it's stops them from hitting you before you get them under the influence of howl. Maxing mastery still doesnt do the damage as the syn for howl....

16. terrymanning

terrymanning IncGamers Member

What would you socket the maul with? Assuming a WW build?

TM

17. Frenzied Bovine

Frenzied Bovine IncGamers Member

Dual Shael or dual xxxx/15%IAS.

18. terrymanning

terrymanning IncGamers Member

Is the next reachable breakpoint 60% ias? The base weapon speed is 10 and there is a 40% IAS modifier on already. That produces -30. So two SHAEL runes would yield -70 and two xx/15s would yield -60. Is this right? In version 1.10, does your WW speed only use weapon IAS like in 1.09? Please let me know. Thanks!

TM

19. TheDarkSide

TheDarkSide Clan Officer - US East Hardcore

You are correct . Weapon speed only affects WW breakpoints . And it is -60 .

20. rpgforumsnet

OK, I started this barb with my friend 2 days ago and got him up to 63 now. My friend went Zerk, so I built mine w/ WW instead.

That steeldriver is cool. After seeing stinker's post, I got lucky and meph lend me one for use. I immediately upgraded and shael'ed it and it served me well from lvl30 to 52 till nm act3. I have a ribcracker on switch for boss killing and it's definitely more effective than the steel.

Later in nm w/ more than 4 ppl I don't seem to throw enough punch, so I upgrade the quarter staff to Stalagmite (shael'ed as well). With 2xx-4xx dmg, 70% IAS and 65% crushing blow (gore rider) it's definitely kicking serious butt. Although the %ed of my ribcracker is far way from perfect, I'd say the pul and lem are still well spent. Too bad I can't ww all the way to WS3 and the throne.

Can't wait to outfit my barb with the IK set. And the good thing is that mace mastery works with steel, ribcracker and IK maul so I'm having a very smooth ride to lvl75.

BTW thanks for the angelic ring/ammy tip. Without them I can't hit nothing w/ WW (do I have to stick with it even using IK?).
    With enchant I have 16k AR - gotta love the cracking sound whirlwinding with my staff :)