Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Barb Axes

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by robdylan, Jun 14, 2005.

1. robdylan

robdylan IncGamers Member

Barb Axes

Hi

Simple question - can a barb dual-wield 2-handed axes? I know axes aren't a popular choice, but I recently found both Hellslayer and Ethereal Edge and reckon they would be pretty fun to use in combination

2. sunbearie

sunbearie IncGamers Member

:confused:
    Unfortunately, no. The only 2-H weapons barbs can dual-wield are swords.

3. robdylan

robdylan IncGamers Member

Drat. That sucks.

I guess if you're going 2-handed, these would be better suited to a WW druid?

4. ahcw

ahcw IncGamers Member

Yeah it's true and I still to this day do not understand why Blizzard went through all the effort to make so many nice two handed wpns and then make the breakpoints for the two classes most geared to use them (barbs/druids) so hard to reach. Honestly there are not that many choices out there when you want to hit the last WW bp or a 5 frame fury and it really annoys me :rant:

5. Shakes

Shakes IncGamers Member

Because that's good game design. If you want to gain a benefit, you should be required to make tradeoffs. Getting the fastest speed should require sacrificing damage per hit, like it (usually) does. Sure it's sometimes annoying, but if everything was easy, there'd be no point in playing.

6. ahcw

ahcw IncGamers Member

I never said make the game easier and yadda yadda. All I meant was that Blizz made all these wpns and the majority of them are useless. Not only are the bp's extremely hard to hit, but (like lemming just said) only on-wpn ias matters so it's narrowed down again. If they had the bp's like a pally does, then you could use a slower wpn and make some gear sacrifices to make it a reasonable speed.

edit: Although obvious I just wanted to point out that this is almost completely geared towards barbs and druids.

7. Shakes

Shakes IncGamers Member

I wouldn't say they're useless: Fury and WW aren't the only skills in the game, or even the only skills for those classes. They're just two of the most popular ones. :)

I suspect with whirlwind it's a bit of unintended consequences anyway. After not even taking weapon speed into account in 1.06 and lower, they felt the need to balance it out. Since everyone was using high range high damage poles that tend to have slow base speed, they felt the easiest way was to only include on weapon speed. I doubt the overall effect was considered that much, since having people use a weapon that wasn't a big stick for WW was an improvement to start with. To that end it worked well, pole barbs are still around, but nowhere near the vast majority that they used to be.

I don't know about 1.10, but it was certainly possible to have a usable whirler who didn't hit the last breakpoint in 1.09. Is that no longer the case?

8. ahcw

ahcw IncGamers Member

I understand that, but they are pretty much the main skills that use two-handed wpns (also include maul for werebears). I mean sure there are chargers and other rare 2 handed builds, but shifting druids and WW barbs are the primary candidates for the big hurty sticks.

You can probably do alright if you hit the second bp, but any less and you'll have a hard time surviving hell.

I think we've hijacked this thread enough as it is, so lets just stop now.

9. sunbearie

sunbearie IncGamers Member

Just to point out something,

The breakpoints for a sorc wielding a 2H axe are pretty fast too IIRC.

10. essojay

essojay IncGamers Member

Yeah,one would think lacking a shield is already a tradeoff.

11. Nightfish

Nightfish IncGamers Member

I would think sacrifcing half my damage for a shield is the bigger tradeoff ;)

As for all these 2 h weapons... They're certainly far from useless. It's just that you will usually have one that pwns all the others. Like my upgraded ribcracker owns pretty much all the other 2h weapons I have. Still, if you want to use them you can certainly get a pat/mat/guardian out of them. And not just a decent one, a good one at that.

12. ahcw

ahcw IncGamers Member

Make a WW barb with a Cranium Basher then, or a Hellslayer, or some other absolutely amazing wpn that has been bitten by the "slow as hell" bug.

13. Nightfish

I'm pretty sure I didn't say "build the most stupid build you can around your weapon" ;) How about we make that a berserker instead? Or an avenger? Or a conc barb? Or an enchantress? Or a Werebear?

14. ahcw

ahcw IncGamers Member

Haha, you crack me up NF :)

I understand you point (except werebear, they have shockwave, but lack of ias will still hurt them) I'm just saying that it's really annoying having to choose between only 5 or 6 wpns if I want to attack at the speed that I want to. I think if they had more oias possibilities (for shifters and WWer's) then I'd be a little less upset.

15. Nightfish

Well, I dunno about whirlwind but my fury druid was just fine with his ribcracker at 6 fpa. Stuff died really fast even above p1.

16. ahcw

ahcw IncGamers Member

Well that's cuz ribcracker is one of the 1337 wpns that we all use :)

Oh, and that can hit 5fpa if you shael it I believe.

17. Nightfish

It could, but I had an ED jool in it from before. Didn't feel like taking it out again.

18. Shakes

Shakes IncGamers Member

As George Carlin says about people who say their needs aren't being met: "Drop some of your needs!" ;)

If you insist on playing fast attacking whirlers, then things are going to look useless. But I think it's a bit silly to say "the weapons are useless if you try to use them in ways they're useless for". I think you have to accept that if you limit yourself to a small number of build choices, the game is going to limit you to a small number of good weapon choices. Kind of like when you play an iron barb, the game limits you to using a high def armour if you want your character to be really effective. This doesn't mean low defense armours are useless, just they're not designed for a certain build.

19. Gohanman

Gohanman IncGamers Member

Have you tried 4 fpa fury? I find going back to anything else painfully slow.

20. Nightfish

I'm not really that interested in attack speed, what matters to me is kill speed. ;) And even that's not all. Ya, maybe there's some weapons that attack and kill faster but I really dun care. I just need a character that can plow his way through hell at reasonable speed using the items I want to use. I don't need to squeeze every last point of damage / FPA out of my char to be happy.