Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Baranor's Huntings Guide ... a question

Discussion in 'Hardcore' started by Syxx, Mar 22, 2004.

1. Syxx

Syxx IncGamers Member

Baranor's Huntings Guide ... a question

Hi Baranor,

Enjoyed reading your guide, but I have a question, which I coudn't ask as your posting is now locked... (damn thread hijackers)

My personal preference is speedmetal, but if you like Bach, put that on....

Why Bach ?
    Any particular Bach peices ?
    Does it actually increase the chance of a kill ?
    Is Mozart any good ?
    Wouldn't his 9th symphany be more appropriate ? (Clockwork Orange theme)

Disclaimer : This is my attempt to lighten the mood after a couple of days heavy PK / AntiPK activity.

Regards
    Syxx

2. Stimm

Stimm IncGamers Member

If youve actually listened to any of the big 4s works . Bach , Beethoven , Moazrt or Wagner alot of them conjure up alot of emotion. In fact id say about 95% of people have heard a work by one of these composers and not even realized it and probably enjoyed it alot.

If youve ever seen "Apocalypse Now" most specifically the beach attack youd know exactly what i mean. If anyone is truly interested i can dig up some good examples.

As for your one question "Does it actually increase the chance of a kill?" no of course not but it will get some adrenalin flowing which is always a good thing

3. Mn_Swe2

Mn_Swe2 IncGamers Member

I think your hunting style WILL be affected by the music you choose.

Compare it to when you are driving. According to all expertise you should be listening to classical music when driving because it makes you more relaxed, calm and overall a better driver.

Listening to speed metal on the other hand will make you a more aggressive driver, more willing to take risks et.c. a.k.a. a bad driver.

They have even made experiments playing classical music from outdoor loudspeakers in a aggressive/violent area of one major city in Europe (don't remeber which one) where they noticed that the crime rate dropped drastically in that area (robbings, violence et.c.).

Translate this to hunting/duelling and I think it will affect your playstyle :)

If Barry listens to speedmetal I'm not at all surprised that he rather frequently looses his chars to lvl 80's et.c., all pumped up by that adrenaline from the music.

Listening to classic's is the way to go if you want a long-lived dueller/hunter :)

/Magnus

4. Baranor

Baranor IncGamers Member

Alas Magnus, your observation is incorrect. I loose my chars to level 80's not because I'm pumped up, but because I don't raelly give a **** wheter I live or die with a char. They are just pixels. I have made that final distinction in DII that has also killed my interest: I lost the connection to my characters. That killed my ultimate interest in the game. When I play now its more of a "lets see if this still works" then "lets develop a new char with a new build" kind of attitude. The many deaths of PvP and PvM chars with insanely nice equip have made me totally uninterested in survival. I'm purely there for kicks and giggles. I don't really care wheter I live or die with a cahr, as long as I enjoy myself and fight a good, if somewhat insane fight.

5. Mn_Swe2

Mn_Swe2 IncGamers Member

My mistake for drawing wrong conclusions then :)
    It would be an interesting experience if you did a duell/hunting week only listening to classic music, and see if you can notice something different in your playstyle?

Kicks and giggles, well, that's what life is all about isn't it :)

If I ever will listen to music while playing I'm quite sure it will be some sort of classic piece that would suit me best.

/Magnus

6. CoonerTheRed

CoonerTheRed IncGamers Member

clearly everyone should be pking to the theme from jaws, no?

7. doubleOObubble

doubleOObubble IncGamers Member

Grieg, don't forget about Grieg!

8. Wolfedude

Wolfedude IncGamers Member

Perhaps you might try Ravel's Bolero. I suggest using it in an area where you can have a long buildup before a fast conclusion. You may have to infiltrate a party for a bit to do this but what the hell.

9. Silkweed

Silkweed IncGamers Member

Actually, I thought it was hilarious when Baranor mentioned Bach. As it just so happens, I do actually on occassion listen to some Bach fugues (Toccata and Fugue in D minor anyone?) when I play. I find it gives me more focus. I've also listened to some of the other things people have mentioned in this thread, Beethoven's 9th for instance, although I much prefer the Scherzo because it's faster.

I don't listen to too much Mozart, with the exception of his clarinet concerto (K.622) and his clarinet quintet (K.581). Can you tell I'm a clarinetist?

By far my favourite classical stuff to listen to whilst PKing is Gustav Mahler because his music is simply giant. The Resurrection Symphony and Kindertottenlieder really get me in the mood for some death.

Actually, I think the coolest thing I ever did was listened to some 20th century atonal sacred choral music (translation: songs for voice about God, written in the past 50 years, that often have dissonant notes) while playing with my paladin PK "StAnselm." It was like I was on a crusade. I felt like I was doing the Lord's work, it was so cool.

I also like to listen to anything by Pink Floyd, and my entire collection of albums will often come to a full circle of play during the course of a long MF period.

10. Aerath

Aerath IncGamers Member

Skinny Puppy : Killing Game
    Hypocrisy : Killing Art
    Manowar : Kill with Power / Hail and Kill / Dawn of Battle
    Judas Priest : Painkiller
    Death : Anything really ;)
    Control Denied : The Fragile Art of Existence

Just a few fitting examples

11. Panders

Panders IncGamers Member

I'll throw in a little thing that struck me when thinking about music to listen to whilst pk'ing/hunting.(mind you I've never done so, but eh. If I were to imagine what it would be like, this would be a song I would listen to).

Tool - Triad. The whole song gives me a sense of a predator in a jungle or some such. Very, er, tribal-ish. It's the third part in a group of three songs (Disposition, Reflection, then Triad). Great song in it's own right, but the whole experience of the three songs put together is amazing. At least, IMHO.

12. skaeleen

skaeleen IncGamers Member

If you listen to the end of System Of A Down's Toxicity album, at the end of the last song (Aerials) a few seconds after the song ends it starts playing some freaky nightmarish tribal beat. It sounds at parts like a bunch of blood-crazed barbarians chanting with drum beats and the background and other cool stuff.

Get it on your pc, then crop the aerials song so that it only plays the secret track at the end of it and listen to it OVER and OVER while going through the hours of talking/wasting time in a dueling game before you actually find a duel. Gets you up there man, its gets you up there.

13. Vectom

Vectom WWN Europe Member

I luv your attitude man :yep:

Death says it all...

Vect

14. MoUsE_WiZ

MoUsE_WiZ IncGamers Member

That's exactly what popped into my head upon reading his guide.
    Well Singing in the Rain actually, but same idea. ^_^