Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

BAE's new stealth drone.

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Puck Nutty, Jul 16, 2010.

1. Puck Nutty

Puck Nutty IncGamers Member

BAE's new stealth drone.

http://blastr.com/2010/07/uk-firm-un...medium=twitter

Unmanned, stealthy and BSG looking. No indication if the thing is any good, but I like the KITT/Cylon eye at the front. I wonder if that's for psycological effect, or if it serves some purpose?

It is described as a fighter, carries missiles and bombs and has some sort of AI on board. Of course the nature and capabilities of the AI would be secret, but I wonder what they mean by "AI"?

Anyway, cool design. Hope it diesn't turn out to be a huge boondoggle.

2. Slevinn

Slevinn IncGamers Member

Re: BAE's new stealth drone.

Tells me page isn't found?

3. Amra

Amra IncGamers Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

All your bases.....

4. Tumbleweed

Tumbleweed IncGamers Member

It's the future of warfare. The F35 will most likely become the last manned fighter jet; after that they will switch to remote controlling the entire fleet of bombers and fighter jets, and eventually helicopters.

The AI they're talking about is probably designed to execute standard routines, so that the controller didn't have to micromanage too much. Say, you choose the target, the type of munition and push the "destroy" button, and the drone does the whole calculation of approach route/approach/prepare to fire/fire/verify hit sequence unless manually overridden.

5. llad12

llad12 IncGamers Member

Gort: Klaatu Barada Nikto!

The military-industrial complex rolls on ...

6. nicro tower

nicro tower Diablo: IncGamers Member

So that's why the South Korean Airforce has a Starcraft team! They've been preparing for the future!

7. Puck Nutty

Puck Nutty IncGamers Member

I read somewhere that games like MS Flight Simulator cut down on training time for Air Force pilots. So, if a person with a lot of experience playing that game were to sit in the cockpit of a real plane, they would already know what each display or control does.

So yeah, if you design the drone's GUI to resemble Starcraft's player interface, it would stand to reason that a hardcore Starcraft player would perform better.

8. BobCox2

BobCox2 IncGamers Member

I kind of doubt this will ever replace manned fighters, jamming or hacking the signal to it would seem to take it down cheaply and the reaction time for a remote pilot is going to be worse than a manned one.

9. jmervyn

jmervyn IncGamers Member

I saw this earlier. I just hope it's not as much of a rolling cluster-feck as the Bowman radio system was.
    Often the 'robot wingman' concept is discussed as a preferable alternative. Still, the ability to jam/hack has been shown as pretty limited unless a nation is up against a sophisticated opponent.

10. Tumbleweed

I don't know about that. BobCox might actually have a good point there. High tech systems can be surprisingly vulnerable nowadays; the Iraqi terrorists found a way to intercept the video feeds from US drones using commercially available software that costs $25.

Signal jammers are not that sophisticated a technology. Even the poorest states like Cuba and North Korea can afford it (Cuba's been blocking US radio broadcasts for decades).

11. jmervyn

jmervyn IncGamers Member

Agreed, but Vietnam-era jamming (my favorite was when the crews would replace the 'noise' tape with heavy metal) isn't able to beat newer tech like frequency hopping. If the system is designed properly (and it should be) then the robot should run a "loiter/return to base" routine until it finds a clean frequency or some alternate authenticated signal. Not star in it's own role as The Terminator.

Mind you, it's not that I disagree with your general assertion. I'm ex-Infantry, and a Luddite at heart. Or didn't you hear about the results when the U.S. fought Israel?

12. Thomh

Thomh IncGamers Member

I might be reading impaired, but where is Israel in this? I see two american hombres commanding two teams, where one is losing horribly:) Ok, the defending team is probably Israel, but Van Riper seems to be an american. Please explain.

I`m also drunk, that might explain why I`m this stupid today. Although I probably would have been this stupid tomorrow as well.

13. jmervyn

jmervyn IncGamers Member

It's only a short mention - Van Riper was instructed to base his 'Red Team' country off of Israel since they were the only ones presumed to be able to mount a sufficient challenge to the ALMIGHTY DEPARTMENT OF DEFENSE!!ONE! Van Riper destroyed the 'Blue Team' without needing to resort to technology.
    Your use of the word, "today" is disturbing.

14. Thomh

Thomh IncGamers Member

Ok! I`m done now, as I don`t have much to add:)

Well played, Sir. Well played:)

Last edited: Jul 20, 2010
  15. Tumbleweed

I don't see any such mention, and since the exercise was set in the virtual Persian Gulf, it's unlikely the Red Team was modelled on Israel.

Robotic fighter aircraft could have some interesting advantages. For one, it'd be possible to increase maneuverability and speed beyond the levels a human body can bear, or increase the carrying capacity of the aircraft by eliminating the cockpit completely.

16. jmervyn

jmervyn IncGamers Member

Red Team was indeed modeled on Israel (I'd confirmed it from more than one source) because you're the only technologically capable state in the region. IIRC Jordan is the second, and they're nowhere up to snuff by comparison.
    Both are true - at issue is whether 'situational awareness' can be transplanted efficiently via telepresence. My guess is that it still can't, and won't be until we're able to provide an immersive environment at the remote station.

17. Tumbleweed

Sorry but it doesn't seem right. The tactics used- kamikaze ones- are not something one could expect from Israel, the place is Persian Gulf, the method of signal broadcasting involved mosque minarets...

I think it depends on the type of aircraft and of the mission. A typical bombing raid in Iraq or Afghanistan doesn't require that much situational awareness.

18. Nazdakka

Nazdakka IncGamers Member

I've seen the same article in a few places. If I remember right they assumed that the Iranian military was of roughly equal power to the Israeli one.

19. jmervyn

jmervyn IncGamers Member

Well, it's not like you're going to bite the hand that feeds you (much) either. Remember, these exercises are supposed to be a worse case than reality would be, since it helps those involved learn. That's why the behavior was so disgusting.
    'power' as in, technological sophistication and certain weapons systems (like the F-14's, I'd bet). I believe they did <not> change the bulk of the Red Team weaponry, and the article mentioned Silkworm missiles. But Iran itself relies on "human wave" attacks which are just moronic on modern battlefields.
    That's why the U.S.A.F. is nearly going begging as regards a mission. They want to be fighter jocks with colored scarves in the Nintendo age.

20. Tumbleweed

Iran relied on "human wave" attacks back in the Iran-Iraq war, but since then they've changed quite a lot. Their army is currently organized as a hybrid type armed force, semi-regular and semi-guerilla, most closely resembling the Hezbollah multiplied by two orders of magnitude (with an air force and a Navy). Many of the battlefield tactics used by the Taliban, Hezbollah and Hamas (motorcycle-mounted RPG teams, ATGM ambushes, Grad multiple missile launchers scaled down for mounting on civilian trucks, etc.) were developed by Iran's Revolutionary Guards.