Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Backup problem

Discussion in 'Newcomer Forum' started by MsKitty, Jan 29, 2004.

1. MsKitty

MsKitty IncGamers Member

Backup problem

I only play solo, not on Battle.net. I have been slowly making up my first real kick-butt MFing sorceress, and managed to get some really good stuff for her (Goldwrap, Chance Guards, *and* a Gull dagger, plus full-Topaz armor and circlet). Since she's level 59 now, I'd hate to lose her or her stuff. So I figured I'd make a back-up of her.

I followed the instructions in the FAQ, but when I went to load up the back-up character to make sure all her stuff was still there, it says the character is invalid.

What did I do wrong?

2. Shade

Shade IncGamers Member

If the file name is the same as the character name and is suffixed .d2s then there shouldn't be a problem... unless the file was corrupted in transit or something.

If the file name and character name are different it won't load in-game.

3. Suryl

Suryl USEast Trading Moderator

Hello MsKitty. I don't play a lot of sp, but when I do backup a char I save a copy of all the files in the save folder that start with that characters name.

There is also a program called ATMA that you can use to mule between singleplayer characters and create stashes of gear. Since it was the gear you were interested in saving.

Look in the singleplayer forum here.
    There is also a thread there just about muling located here.

If you can't find the info you want already posted, just make an introductory thread to say hi (they love those) and ask your question. They are a friendly group and would be glad to help.

4. MsKitty

MsKitty IncGamers Member

I guess that explains it. I changed the character name by one letter, because it wouldn't let me save two files with the exact same name in the same folder.

Is there a way to change the in-game character name to match the one I changed it to? Or is there another way for me to access the back-up character? I really hope I haven't completely screwed this up! :(

5. Shade

Shade IncGamers Member

You can access your backup character by renaming the real character's file to something else, then name the backup the same as the original.

ATMA (see the thread in the Single Player Forum) can rename a character for you too.

6. MsKitty

MsKitty IncGamers Member

Thank you both so much! I used the ATMA program to change her name to the new one I used, and she loads up perfectly!

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!! :D