Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

backup for poison necro?

Discussion in 'Classic' started by KoalaBearThirtyThree, Oct 19, 2006.

1. KoalaBearThirtyThree

KoalaBearThirtyThree IncGamers Member

backup for poison necro?

What's a good backup skill for a pure poison necro? I'm building one like this:

20 poison nova (main attack)
    20 poison explosion (synergy)
    20 backup??

I looked at bone spear or bone spirit but I'm nto sure they will do enough damage. So I'm thinking corpse explosion. That should be viable huh?

Also, is it possible to play with 1 point (or at least few points, with +skills items) in golem and no other minions? Can an iron or fire golem survive around 20 seconds in act3/hell? If a low skill golem isn't viable, how about mid-skill (slvl 10ish) bone wall?

2. WarlockCC

WarlockCC Diablo Classic Moderator

You could get a solid Bone Armor so you can run into groups of monsters without fear of instantly dying.
    On my poison necro I maxed both synergies of poison nova and took 1 point in revives to get a meatshield. Fearlessone has written a very nice and complete guide which is linked in the last sticky.

3. KoalaBearThirtyThree

The guide you mentioned has no backup attack. I guess I can go without a backup attack since only a few non-key monsters are poison immune. I may have to go without a backup...

I finally got poison nova with my char and its damage is very low. I wasn't going to max both synergies but I think I might have to. My current plan is:

20 poison nova
    20 poison explosion
    20 poison dagger (max last)
    1 Lower Resist (main curse; backup curse: decreptify)
    1 revive

str: 25 (might have to raise to around 40)
    dex: 45 (don't ask :) )
    vitality: 100 to 150
    energy: 100 to 150

key equip: wormskull, Jade Tan Do dagger (if unfeasible then a +2 rare wand)
    other equip (goal: +mana, resists): rare +mana/resist rings/boots/belt/armour

I think bone armour is useless without putting many poitns into so I'm going to skip that...

I think revives are a good idea and probably the best option. I guess I'll go with slvl 1 (plus hopefully more iwht items) revive...

4. WarlockCC

WarlockCC Diablo Classic Moderator

CE is allways a winner. So just go with your gut feeling and max CE. :)

5. ElDrunko

ElDrunko IncGamers Member

Lower resist does not lower poison resists. Also, you would have more than enough points to max bone armor.

20 nova
    20 explosion
    20 dagger
    20 bone armor
    then throw some into a curse that you like.

6. KoalaBearThirtyThree

Did someone say corpse explosion? Hey did you play pre-expansion? :)

The problem with CE will be trying to draw monsters near a body (unless I go really high level CE). I'm going to defer my decision until I hit hell (not for a while). Unlike a lot of other immunes, poison immune monsters can usually be skipped (for the most part) so we'll see...

7. KoalaBearThirtyThree

Lower Resist works on poison (check it out on Chaos Sanc: http://battle.net/diablo2exp/skills/necromancer-curses.shtml#lowerresist) . Perhaps you meant to say it doesn't work on poison immunes? (actually it works on them too but the effect is so small to be meaningless on the toughest poison immunes).

We'll see but I don't really know if bone armour will really be that useful. Since I usually don't play my chars past clvl 80, I won't have enough points to make bone amour useful. We'll see...

8. ElDrunko

ElDrunko IncGamers Member

Ohhhh, nonono, I was thinking about Conviction. Disregard what I said about lower resist. You also have to remember about +skill quests such as Den, Sewers and Izzy. That totals up to 12 points which you could use for bone armor.

9. DiabloAvenger

DiabloAvenger IncGamers Member

the syngergies for bone armor gives bone armor more defense then putting points in bone armor itself so u should just get lvl 1 bone armor and max bone wall

10. KoalaBearThirtyThree

I finally hit hell difficulty. Unfortunately, the way the game is structured now, most of what happens pre-hell difficulty is almsot useless. I don't enjoy nightmare anymore because I keep looking forward to hell to see if the build is viable at all. It's almost like the first two difficulties are a waste of time...Couple of thoughts playing necro for the first time post-expansion...

Poison isn't as strong as I thought. It looks like poison duration is cut in hell (like cold duration). Either that or monsters have high poison duration reduction.... The poison damage is also not that great (although it's sufficient in 1 player games--at least for act1/hell). The bad thing is that even if I put points into the second synergy (one is already maxed), it won't raise damage that much.

One thing that I was unsure about but am right on is the fact that slvl 1 golem is actually strong (I use fire golem mostly). I won't know for sure until act3 but I think I might be able to live with level 1 golem (if I ever switch to a wand, it'll be more like slvl 3 or something). I'm not going to put points into Revive until the golem dies too quickly.

The bone armour idea is not worth it for my char. Bone armour just gives, what, something like 200 hit points at slvl 20ish? That's nothing and useless IMO. I think it can work, as suggest by DiabloAvenger, if I went for bone wall but it would be a waste to put so many points into wall if I didn't go for wall.

I decided to go with corpse explosion. I thought that would be more fun. I have it at slvl 5ish and will probably take it up to 8 or so. But skill points are becoming valuable now so I might instead put points into Lower Resist curse. I still haven't put points into revive but I'll see as I progress through hell...

11. Akukami

Akukami IncGamers Member

Perhaps you can try a few into Revive?

- Akukami

12. Fearlessone

Fearlessone IncGamers Member

You're wrong about low level bone armor being so useless - its worth it for just about any necro. With some nice +skills, if you get 150-200 points of melee protection, that is one good solid hit from a hell monster. You will prob have only about 1000 life if this is a solo (no BO) char.

One point in revive +skills is an adequate meatshield. If you want a backup skill, strong revives + amp can take out almost anything before reheal wipes out your dmg. Lead poison immunes back into the corpse field and blow them sky high. Other party members make a good 'backup skill'. Fire golems have the most life, but a clay golem can slow its opponent and thus survive longer. Either one will last a convenient amount of time, except against strong mobs, there you will just have to cast, recast, recast: I do it all the time while poisoning and it works.

I've never heard of reduced poison duration mods on a monster, its possible, but they seem to have 2 sec of 'green-ness'. Alot of monsters have high pois res in hell, you can break the immunities on most skellies and maggot young, but not on adult maggots. Venom lords are awful.

The poison necro's finest days are in late nightmare, after about lvl 45 or so, when he is going full tilt into his synergies. If you choose to play in parties in Hell, the curse-poison-CE is a powerful option that makes you one of the stronger members of the party. Such a necro can easily cut the kill time in half, even with a hammerdin in the group.

Prisons and bonewalls usually work in Hell (except for lightning bosses and really strong mobs) even with a lvl 1 bonewall/prison. Just keep casting them.

Sounds like you havent put any points down the tree into lower resist yet. I would get it to -50ish% with +skills. Since the avg monster in hell has about 40% poison resist, you will just about double your damage. With a wormskull, soj, +2 ammy and +2 wand and silks i get 8 points in everything.

13. KoalaBearThirtyThree

Still not sold on the bone armour idea. The opportunity cost is way too high for something that needs 20 points to give yo u200 life. Imagine putting 20 points into some of hte golem skills (better resist, life, etc) or Lower Resist or something. I'm going to play with low hit points (basically 2 hit deaths) with this char.

I'm leaving the revives idea open (leaving a few skill points unallocated) in case I need it. So far I just re-cast my fire golem (slvl 1).

I could be mistaken with poison reduction but have to play around al ot more. I just found that a lot of the monsters in act1/hell seem to lose hteir poison colour pretty quickly. It could just be me.. need to test it more...

I agree.. but one funny thing... Poison necro may be good in late act4/nightmare but he will have problems against the poison demons. Ironically, these demons are poison immune in nightamre but not in hell :)

Curses really help allies (they are probably more helpful than paladin auras--and I thought I would never say that) but the poison necro's damage is not impressive to me so far. He's ok (not horrible; not as dissapointing as a strafer (bowazon)) but he isn't as good as I thought he would be. Single and two player games are fine (so far in act1/hell) but party games are boring. It's almost like I"m doing no killing and just helping with curses. I don't think the problem is necessarily the damage but the fact that poison is slow. When a WW barb or even a one-tree sorc can kill monsters with a few hits, the pnova just looks like it is doing no damage. I know pnova helps but still...

I have like slvl 1 Lower Resist (I think it's actually 2 with items) which is my main curse. But I tend to cast decreptify a lot though. I haven't maxed poison dagger (2nd synergy) and am instead thinking of putting those points into Lower Resist.

So far this build isn't as impressive as I thought it would be... but he's fun and unique... it's also a different playing style (I run around a lot compared to my traditional paladin builds or others)...