Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

back up attack for strafe

Discussion in 'Amazon' started by bluedragoon, Mar 31, 2005.

1. bluedragoon

bluedragoon IncGamers Member

back up attack for strafe

hi, i was thinking of making a strafer, but was wandering if i needed a backup attack, for bosses or phys immunes. I was thinking of maxing strafe, pierce, d/a/e to a respectable lvl and valk to lvl 17 with items. that will be something like 40-50 points max, and what then ???
    I was thinking of charged strike, with a titans or thunderstroke with storm on switch, cause i would have max block probably OR maybe freezing arrow or so, but i really need some advice so thnx in advance

2. Chimaira

Chimaira IncGamers Member

I'm no expert but since no one else is replying...

I think that Lightning Fury would be very cool since it only requires 20 points to deal decent damage, but that's a crap skill against bosses:(

Freezing Arrow would be the lazy player's approach since you can still use your bow...that's probably what I would do...

Charged strike is probably your best bet, since it is capable of dealing massive damage to single targets..Although it'll probably need a couple of points to be effective.

Do you really need a backup attack for bosses...isn't STrafe okay at killing bosses...might not be the best skill around but it shouldn't take too long. After a bit of consideration I think Lightning Fury is best, you don't need to be close to monsters to use it. I think that Stormshield would be too heavy...seems a waste to spend 156 str for a shield that's going on your secondary switch...Maybe Moser's or Gerkes Sanctuary, instead..

Hope this helps a bit..

3. Dacar92

Dacar92 Community, Amazon, DH Moderator & Inc Clan Officer

I would also use FA as a back up attack. As a matter of fact, if it is maxed out, and you spend a few points in CA for a synergy, you may find it does more damage than strafe. But it is rather mana intensive and those pesky cold immunes will still need to be strafed.

4. XZON

XZON IncGamers Member

If not using a WWS then 20 points in magic arrow. Nothing is immune to it & if using a WF, it will kill every PI very quickly. Strafe is fine for boss's. Try to reach 9/2 minimum. If you want to freeze stuff, use 1 in frozen arrow and wear some items/charms to increase freeze length.

5. DudSpud

DudSpud IncGamers Member

I have used both FA and LF as back-ups. I like both, and I am not really sure which is safer - FA freezes but LF kills so darn fast. And agree with Chimaira that the strenght for SS is counter productive. If you were going to get the strength anyway, then use a spirit monarch. You should play ranged, so no PDR really needed, but the + skills really adds to the LF damage. If you want Strafe/LF/ChStr, then, well, OK, but my experience has been that trying to be both melee and ranged spreads the build thin.

I also have used Magic arrow as back up, but only because WWS gives an slvl 20 MA. The idea is that it converts physical to magic, 20% at slvl 20. Since you build a strafer to do physical damage, this sounds like a neat idea. Even neater, if you were spending the points to get it, would be to put 20 in Cold or Fire arrow. They also covert physical to elemental, but a higher % (40?).

Oh, and you left out Penetrate - strafe has no AR bonus and the AR bonus all arrow is bugged so that it does not work.

Right now I am using strafe/LF, so that is my recommendation. Next month - who knows.

Good luck,
    DudSpud

6. Chimaira

Sorry if I'm being dense, but what does this mean??

7. DudSpud

DudSpud IncGamers Member

My understanding is if the AS says an arrow skill grants an AR bonus, even though such bonus shows up on the LCS, it does not actually apply to the arrows when fired. I'll dig up RTB's post - here.

I don't know why I trust the goblin, but everyone else on this forum seems to, and I have never been able to contradict him/her, so I believe. I'll check the AB Tech forum and see if they have anything on it... here.

DudSpud

8. superdave

superdave IncGamers Member

the bug does exist...any zon skill based a/r bonus will show but it does not apply...that is why penetrate is so important when you are building a single tree zon like fa for example...found this out the hard way and was only able to save her by investing large in charms

9. bluedragoon

yes i will offcourse have atleast one point in it for prereq and maybe some more if i need. I just dont understand the magic arrow, why not FA, it just converts the dmg wright ? FA freezes and it can do some nice dmg, i had it on switch for my lfer and it worked quite nice.But can someone please tell me why MA is so nice ?

10. Chimaira

For one Magic Arrow doesn't cost any mana at higher levels...also not many magic immunes around. I don't really see the appeal either...But I also love Freezing Arrow.

11. XZON

XZON IncGamers Member

I will explaine. To kill PI's using freezing arrow uses tons of mana. PI and CI are not all that rare. I do not believe there is anything which is PI and MI. Besides cold immunities, there are plenty of monsters that have high resistance to cold and Physical immunity. Very few monsters have high resistance to magic. When I use a level 25 magic arrow on a High life PI, they die very quickly. PI gostly things die from 1-3 magic arrows every time. Magic arrow also requires zero mana.

level 25 freezing arrow 465-477 cold damage (21 mana)
    level 25 magic arrow 25% of 3,000 (conservative) = 750 magic damage (0 mana)

If critical or deadly strike occur on this arrow = 1500 magic damage

If enemy is demon and you wear laying of hands and CoH add on another approx 500 magic damage.

(these are average damage for my WF zon, not max)

There are plenty of situations where Freezing comes in handy but if I could only have one non Physical damage skill to use, I would choose Magic arrow.

12. DudSpud

DudSpud IncGamers Member

What I like to do is check the chance to hit for several different monsters and put points in it to get at least 70% - but more is better. The only reason I wait is if there is a pressing need for points elsewhere, and if so, I usually level up somewhere, as the chance to hit increases the higher your level compared to the monsters' level.
    What XZON said. I became impressed with the efficacy of MA when using the Witchwild String (WWS) bow, which gives an slvl20 MA. You build the strafer for physical damage, so converting it to magical seemed to make sense for PI's. Pick up a WWS and give it a try

I am also toying with maxing Cold Arrow or Fire Arrow, because it converts more damage to elemental (41% at slvl20, 51% at slvl25). When I go with FA, I usually leave FA at slvl13, then start dumping points into CA as at this level, it gives as much damage boost as hard points in FA. If low on mana against a PI, it could be a nice alternative to FA against single monsters.

Still, I think it is mainly a style difference, though I seem to encounter PI/CI more than PI/MI...

DudSpud

13. YogiRat

YogiRat IncGamers Member

another vote for MA here

The only place I run across PI/MIs often is in the Ancient Tunnels. The zombies there are all MI and their bosses are often PI. But this place is tiny and there isn't any reason to go there unless you are MFing. At lvl13 MA is free, I switch to it to fight mana drain monsters or just let my mana recover.

14. bluedragoon

wws shoot magic arrows instead of normal arrows if i understand correctly??? Is it enough then to have that on switch against PI's and mayb dump some points in other skills, like........

fill in the blanc please :D

15. Chimaira

The usual suspects are Freezing arrow and Lightning Fury...

16. ladydraxis

ladydraxis IncGamers Member

Yes, having wws on your weapon switch to kill PI monsters would work fine (even better if you UP the bow). Be aware that it only shoots magic arrows when you use the plain attack.

17. bluedragoon

i think im going wit an upped wws on switch then, to get some extra points in penetrate/pierce/DS/A/E/D and those babys

18. XZON

XZON IncGamers Member

That's the thing. If you are straffing, that's 20 points. Let's say that leaves you with 75 other points. If you have any +skills at all, you will hit heavy diminishing returns before you've used up even 55 of those points. If your primary bow is WF or Faith, then your physical damage is so much higher than a WWS that it makes more sense to Pump 20 into magic arrow and use it as your left click on your primary weapon. Plus with WWS you can only have level 20 magic arrow max (normal attack). If you have +5 to all skills, you can have level 25 magic arrow with placing skill points. You will also have an extra 5 to all passives. You will have many skill points to spare . I will not say however that WWS on switch for the MA is a bad idea especially if you have zero +skills.

19. FlitzZ

FlitzZ IncGamers Member

I just made a Strafer and she's wearin just the stuff I found along the way.
    She now is lvl 46 and using goldstrike arch.

With no + skills, and strafe at lvl 20 she's doing about 400 - 450 dmg...
    seems a bit low, even if its (uber?) fast.. it seems like slow killing.
    At this point just a few points in CS and Penetrate.

What dmg are most of you doing with strafe ? Should I aim for more +skills of more +dex items ?
    I read the strafe guide, but there's no dmg there .. :)

20. XZON

XZON IncGamers Member

Yes that is low. As a straffer, you should target 9/2 breakpoint which is 120% ias total I believe (50 from bow and 70 from other places). Pierce is very important and will speed up killing. Dex should be pumped to increase damage. Gear that does ED to demons like laying of hands helps a lot. +skills gear means little to a straffer. The extra 5% is minimal (= to 5 dex points). That bow can also be upgraded on ladder which will also increase damage (don't do it yet as you probably will not be able to equip due to minimum level req). It's not fair to compare damage numbers from strafe. My straffers probably are around 4,000 max or more but this is with WF and top end gear. Also get yourself and act 2 might merc from NM. This will also help a lot. Hope this helps.