Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Back, monsters! Back I say!!

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by Kung Poo, Feb 7, 2004.

1. Kung Poo

Kung Poo IncGamers Member

Back, monsters! Back I say!!

Ok, don't know how many times I've posted this in the daily and no one's responded, so here's a shiny new thread just for my question. :D

For any of you shockadins out there, what was/is your endgame gear? Here's the reason I'm asking. Mine is currently clvl 70, in NM Act V (up to the last WP). He can kill just about anything in one zeal, maybe two, possibly three for champions or boss packs. Killing power is NO problem (~5800-6000 damage per hit). Also, my resists are all maxed and doin just fine, with a delightful 85% to lightning.

However, I'm STILL getting my butt smeared all over the ground, and it's started to really grate on my nerves. I'm wearing the full Disciple set, a Manald, a rare for resists and LL (4%), a Baranar's Star, a 3 socket Heraldic shield w/3 PDiamionds (for a grand total of 100% resist all), and a Harly Crest w/ a PTopaz. My merc has a Kelpie Snare, a Shaft, and a Vamp Gaze (he's holy freeze, by the way).

I always have holy shield on, and right now I have my 75% block goin strong. So how is it that I'm getting creamed here? Claw vipers are my new worst enemy (the ones that shoot bone spears). I don't really want to invest in defiance or anything, because that takes away from my holy shock aura, which is what gives me such wonderful killing power. Also, my holy freeze merc is great, and the slowing of enemies is very important. A defiance merc just wouldn't do.

Also, if I get rid of any of my Disciple stuff, poof, there goes 2 to all skills, 100 to mana, and 50% to my resists (which I'll need coming up in Hell). Argh!

A little help or advice would be wonderful. Thanks.

~K_P

2. LprMan

LprMan IncGamers Member

How much defense you have now? And how much hp? If you are hit too often, then you should try to get as much life as possible or try to get more def. Wearing off the Disciple set isn't a problem, just make Smoke armor, which gives you those 50% allres. If you don't have Lum rune for that, I can donate one :)

edit: I can alos give you my old 1.09 pally resist shield. I guess t has better defense than your and it has 110% allres (I hope I remember correctly)

edit2: and for me it also seems that you have too low life leech. Socket your Barana with Amn

3. Kung Poo

Kung Poo IncGamers Member

The Amn thing is probably a good idea. Also, I have a Lum (just got it from NM Hellforge, actually), so thanks anyway for the offer.

Correction to what I said earlier... my new worst enemy is the freakin oblivion knights in the WSK!!! I've died like 3 times in 10 minutes to IM. At least with the Claw Vipers I have a chance to escape. With these guys, they cast it on me in mid-zeal. I have no chance whatsoever of living through it. Apparently my only choice is to be a pacifist around them and simply not attack. Oh joy of joys!!!

/end rant

~K_P

4. LprMan

LprMan IncGamers Member

Sometimes I feel that even 20% life leech is too low on hell difficulty, leeching is so badly nerfed :( So try to get as much ll as you can, you will never have too much

And those oblivion knights...I have killed all my melee chars countless times when they cast IM on them. There is not much you can do then. Quite often I lure those doom knights away from them and kill them first. I have also noticed that when you are in melee range to oblivion knight, they always cast decrepify. I think that is one of those little pieces of information which will be extremely useful sometimes

5. Lord of terroR

Lord of terroR Banned

get charge

6. Nightfish

Nightfish IncGamers Member

I would have replied but I know nothing about Shockadins. :teeth: One thing that I'd suggest is trying a delirium helm. Those curses might help you to die less often. And as you hit very often they should trigger frequently. I was planning to use one on my paladin but something came up... :lol:

7. LprMan

LprMan IncGamers Member

But everyone doesn't have those runes

8. Vorbiss

Vorbiss IncGamers Member

Try crescent moon phase/zerker, should be 1000 times better than banana for shockadin... :) Also, how many HP's do you have? What's your def/AR?
    This can help us greatly determine the reason why you get killed so often, because otherwise everything looks fine(max res, max block)... :scratch:

9. Nightfish

Yeah, probably right. Though K_P mentioned enough high level gear to suggest that he might also have a decent cache of runes. Failing all else there's always NF's endless supply of stuff. :wink2: I doubt I'll go back to softcore (and even should I go back, I most likely won't need my runes) so I can see myself donating a complete delirium tiara to him.

10. wildjinn

wildjinn IncGamers Member

There's a trick I heard for IM and zeal with a shockadin. Use an ITD 5-9dmg wand when you're around OK's. You'll keep doing crazy lightning damage, but do practically no physical damage, so you'll stay safe from IM.

I second the Crescent Moon suggestion with Baranar's on switch for LI's. Although super-expensive, it's pretty hot. If you've got the runes, Delirium might be good on your merc, from whom you could grab the Vamp Gaze and have more PDR and dual leech, although the +skills would be hard to make up unless you've got super gear lying around like Andariel's Visage or something. A great Rare Circlet might do you well, though, with +2 pally skills and res all.

Hm. How about these switches:

Laying of Hands -> Laying of Hands
    No change needed. +dmg to demons, IAS is great. Dracul's Grasp for ctc supermegalifeleech might be cool, but then you'd need IAS from elsewhere.

Telling of Beads -> Rare Pally Amulet
    You could go for a +2 pally skills, chromatic amulet and get some skills and res back there. Or Mara's, but that's expensive.

Dark Adherent -> Lionheart Armor
    It's cheap and has +all res and other great bonuses on it, and with Holy Shield, you'll have good defense. Duriel's might be better, with CBF, Res, Life, and Str. Smoke is also good for res.

Rite of Passage -> Gore Riders
    Gore Riders are pretty sweet, but not super-defensive. Nat's boots would be good defensive boots with 40% FR/W and added res.

Credendum -> String of Ears
    For now, it'd work well with life leech, PDR. Tgod's would be super-excellent if you have it for lit absorb, life, str.

If you want some of this gear, IM me and I'll be glad to help you out with what i've got...you so us a great service by entertainment with your wonderful writing, so it'd be the least I could do in return. :)

11. Mammon

Mammon IncGamers Member

My Tesladin just made Champion last night, and I ran in to the exact same problems you described...

5000-6000 damage with AR around 2100ish for me.
    LVL 76 using a shael'd earthshaker, rattlecage, +1 pally ammy w/94 life, rhyme royal shield w/+25 resist to start and a bunch of rare stuff.
    Merc is using an Honor Lance with Stealskull and Rockfleece.

I got owned by oblivion kniggets, completely massacred.
    I'm currently getting my arse handed to me by bloody quill rats in Act I Hell.
    Mind you I play on players 8 all the time and untwinked for the most part.
    I also haven't invested a single point in Holy Shield with a blocking % around 70.

I find the biggest change I have to get my head around is not to wade in like I used to.

Doing that kind of damage I was able to wade in against Minions with no problem.. But doing that will catch up to you so fast it's not funny.

I don't know if there's really anything to 'do' for it... I think being a melee character now is just inherently dangerous, and if you don't have 'primo' gear...you have to play a bit more cautiously then you ever did before...

just my 2 cents.

12. strijdje

strijdje IncGamers Member

with the gear u described i would suggest a amount of FHR for you... in that way u should be able to block alot more.. IMO u should pump your vit more and change your equip... the dis set is nice and all but if you want to survive hell in 1.10 then u really need some better stuff, the equipment wildjinn described should suit u ok...
    hope my advice helped a bit

robin

13. Nightfish

The disciple set not being good enough for hell? You've gotta be kidding. o_O Seriously, the disciple set is a lot better than the equipment all of my HC chars that got through hell had.

14. strijdje

strijdje IncGamers Member

well i wasnt saying it is bad, i mean, my hc amazone on the HC ladder on bnet wears it too, but i was just saying that if u have better equipment, use it... i personnaly like the dis set too, high life, bonus too res etc but there are always things that are better right?
    robin

15. Nightfish

Yeah, usually there's something better available. Unless you are wearing chains of honor and are swinging a botd zerker there is something better. But you made it sound like he was going in with a cracked sash and not much besides that when you said

"...but if you want to survive hell in 1.10 then u really need some better stuff...".

That's just not true. The disciple is perfectly fine for beating the game. I think if I had to I could beat the game in hardcore with 7 "disciples", one of each character class.

Btw, iirc the whole point of the pally was to use the disciple set that K_P managed to complete. (might be wrong here, though, and it was actually me who wanted to have a char that uses the disciple and not K_P :teeth: )

16. wildjinn

wildjinn IncGamers Member

aah. well, scratch my post, then. :xmad:

17. Oblivion

Oblivion IncGamers Member

Why would IM kill you if you have HS doing a lot of physical damage...just wondering

18. Crazy Runner Guy

Crazy Runner Guy IncGamers Member

When you are cursed by IM, even a small amount of damage dealt turns into deadly returns do to the % multiplier on IM.

crg

19. Zarhrezz

Zarhrezz IncGamers Member

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, But I believe that since IM targets a player in this case, the damage returned suffers the "PvP" penalty.

20. Shade

Shade IncGamers Member

Due to the amount of damage returned, I'd say that's not the case...

Perhaps switch to a Short Sword (or similar very low damage weapon) for OKs, especially since most of your damage as a Shockadin should be coming from Shock? It'll be less damage than the Baranar's, but less to you also :)