Latest Diablo 3 News
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Back in the day...

Discussion in 'Classic' started by danbus, Oct 23, 2006.

1. danbus

danbus Diabloii.Net Member

Back in the day...

I was just thinking about the good ole days of when D2 was the IT game to play. I played this game back in high school (5 years ago) religiously. So many things have changed from then.

Back in the day...

1. Clegs were considered BM for ANY pvp encounter. However it was fun to see 2 slowed barbs ww it out.

2. Howltusk was also considered BM.

3. The average D2 classic player could name 75% of the duped items by name and stats (soul scratch - exec, imp blow - mart, rune dart - rune bow (my fav), dire carapace - ornate, rune slippers - light plate boots (i think) and so on.

4. Maphack was a must and wasn't considered BM, even for MF runs. I personally used for MF runs and seeing how many sockets items had.

5. Duels lasted between 1-5 mins. Those with godly items, duels lasted as long as you wanted it to.

6. You couldn't buy mana pot and starting with a caster meant that every mana pot was saved for the boss (unless you had no req SOJs).

7. You could gain massive amounts of xp in hell cows at lvl 1.

8. You could name a few wealthy people who played D2 classic by name (lee, bubba sparxxxx).

9. Just about everyone got rich when the dupe program was leaked during 1.08.

Those are just a few things I can remember of my experiences playing then and now.

What about you?

2. Sgraffite

Sgraffite Diabloii.Net Member

You couldn't walk through your minions or mercenaries. I remember this as my friend and I both made necros and when we got to Act2 sewers we kept getting stuck. His screen would show me in front of him, and my screen would show him in front of me so neither of us could move!

Also only characters who used bows needed dex.

I skipped the whole map hack phenomenon as when I first played it either didn't exist or wasn't well known, and when I started playing again it was banned.

3. Creon

Creon Diabloii.Net Member

Yeah, I'm pretty sure maphack didn't even exist until 1.08. And there have been several times that dupe methods got out big time. You're probably thinking of the one in 1.09.

4. goomba

goomba Diabloii.Net Member

on NL, the d Cara, impblow, pstar, sshanks, and soul scratch are still heavily sought after, and talked about. perhaps more so now, as people let their accounts expire...

5. KoalaBearThirtyThree

KoalaBearThirtyThree Diabloii.Net Member

Maphack always was, and always will be, cheating. If it weren't cheating, Blizzard wouldn't ban people using it, and the maps in the game would be revealed from the beginning.

Anyway.... some things I remembered... I never played much PvP...

* Multishot (and strafe to some degree) ruled for bowazons. I am not into PvP so the duelers may also fondly remember guided arrow...

* Lance-wielding WW barbs ruled. I remember many games where, even a newbie barb, will just waltz through hordes of monsters that other chars and other build types were struggling against. Obviously the modern day Hammerdins are more powerful (when you compare the relative difficulty of other classes against immune monsters) but I always feel that the old-school WW barb was the most dominant ever at a given point in the game. Combined with Leap Attack, a WW barb was the #1 build ever IMO...

* Before the dupers and cheaters started ruling... monster drops were worse from I recall (not as easy as now) and this made it hard to find some stuff... leech rings were valuable... some uniques, like silks, were popular... SOJs were obviously popular (but the ring gambling order was found and it sort of ruined it)...

* More playing styles were viable (can finish hell Diablo)... You saw a lot more diversity in hell before (now only a few styles get past act2/hell)...

* Playing mostly paladins, my fondest memory, is using blessed hammer. People on this forum were probably the first ones to realize the power of BH. Many people never realized that hammerdins were the most powerful paladin even back then. Zealots and missionaries were powerful but hammerdins were more powerful.... but you had mana problems with hammerdins back then (I actually remember using meditation because mana was a big problem)...

* It could just be me, but I seem to feel that lightning enchanted monsters did more damage beefore. I'm not really sure but I always feared those blobs of lightning charges before but nowadays they are not that bad. This could just be me though (playing experience?)... not sure if it actually changed...

* life/mana leech ruled for melee types (now they are almost useless IMO)...

* anyone on these forums would remember Jarulf & others revealing so many interesting things about the game... I think the most groundbreaking discovery was the unique item order (i.e. needed nagel and manald, and if SOJ didn't exist, that was the next unique ring)...

6. goomba

both are very much still an integral part of play with my mf/WW baba, as well as my bowazon.

I'm guessing you are referring however, to the typical BO-Barb, that gains EXP by chasing din's around CS's, and only puts an actual weapon on in PVP games, and instead prefers AR gloves/rings/ with +min/max dmg?

7. KoalaBearThirtyThree

It can make a difference for WW barbs (since they do big damage) but I find them to be of little benefit otherwise. My strafer amazon, which I consider unviable and hence a failure so maybe it's a reflection of my char than the style, didn't benefit much from leech. All my melee paladins don't have much leech (except my martyr but that's just to balance out the loss). I find the leech nerf in hell to render it almost useless. I would instead have 20% more resist than, say, 3% leech.

Anyway that's just my opinion. I know others like leech a lot but I just don't value it much anymore...

8. goomba

my still unfinished strafer uses one dual leach ring. now, understand she is the fred'glass cannon build, so if she gets hit, she's dead regardless.

however, the mana leach is a must so as to not have to pot every volley. even if she has a high level BO on her, the mana use is otherwise insane, but that too may be my style of play - she's so fragile, that she MUST fire volley after volley to keep the hoards off of her in hell.

9. zaxien

zaxien Diabloii.Net Member

9/5 rings you got rich off of
    NO javazons except cowers
    smite was viable
    group duels lasted damn near forever b/c of leech

10. Creon

Creon Diabloii.Net Member

Rare items being the undisputed kings of items at high levels, but unique items getting great use on new characters.

... With the exception of a couple things like Tarn and Iceblink (REMEMBER ICEBLINK?!), of course.

11. KoalaBearThirtyThree

Iceblink was my favourite armour... my zealot (paladin) couldn't live without it :) ... It was also powerful for bowazons from what I recall...

12. danbus

Speaking of Iceblink, I cant seem to find anyone who has it. I'm not sure if it worked for ranged attacks though.

13. Akukami

Akukami Diabloii.Net Member

No, it won't.

- Akukami

14. WarlockCC

WarlockCC Diablo Classic Moderator

I haven't tested it in 1.10. I'll pillage it off one of my chars and test it on a zon to see.
    The cold damge should at least work on ranged attacks, don't know about the freeze +3 though. I can't even remember if it used to in 1.09

15. Akukami

Akukami Diabloii.Net Member

I believed it worked until 1.09. After that, it was nerfed. :cry:

- Akukami

16. danbus

Oh oh...how about when hydra sorcs were around...and they would dump about 4-5 hydras, tp back to town, then hostile?

Never happened to me, but I heard it's been done.