Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Back from vacation and chars are expired...

Discussion in 'Diablo 2 Community Forum' started by compres, Aug 31, 2006.

1. compres

compres IncGamers Member

Back from vacation and chars are expired...

Very niiice.

Is there anything for me to do other than lament? I though the expiration time was like 3 months, I am not sure it took me that long but one thing's for sure, they all gone.

If someone knows what to do please let me know.

2. IntelligentX

IntelligentX IncGamers Member

I have a experience that even it shows "Character expired" but I still can open that character and open games with him. You may want to ensure if your characters are really expired.
    But if it is really expired, I think you cannot do anything now.

3. Xenon[XoA]

Xenon[XoA] Banned

Have you tried logging in on them? Sometimes it says they've expired, but they haven't actually. If they are truly expired, then only option is to delete them to make room for new chars.

4. compres

compres IncGamers Member

Thabks gyus. Just tryed that with some of them, and they wont log in. Seems like I'm out of luck.

I always hated this policy. I don't always have the means or time to keep chars alive all the time.

Blizzard should get rid of this annoying feature specially considering how long it takes someone to equip good characters. I don't even want to start recalling what I had on those chars.

5. IntelligentX

IntelligentX IncGamers Member

Maybe that's the price for free online gaming? :rolleyes:

6. Dawnmaster

Dawnmaster IncGamers Member

Meh, if you don't have the time to come online a few minutes every 10 days (if you're using mules until they're permed) or 3 months (for playing chars) then why on earth do you owe the game? To play a char once per year?

7. Evrae Altana

Evrae Altana IncGamers Member

It only takes a few minutes to refresh chars, unless you have like a few dozen mule accounts.

8. Merick

Merick IncGamers Member

Maybe if you write them a check for the huge amounts of data it would require to store every characters if none of them ever expired.
    If you're away you always could have asked a trustworthy member of the forums to refresh them for you.

9. GreyGhost

GreyGhost Banned

I work for Blizzard. Give me your password and I will restore them for you.

... And the winner is ... Psychic Toad!

10. Frosty_The_Snowman

Frosty_The_Snowman IncGamers Member

Did you update your system's date recently ? The expiration message is based on your local datetime. However, if your chars are really expired, then even changing the system's date won't fix the thing.

My advise : just try to modify your system's date (1 month earlier, 2 months earlier, and so on) until the expiration message disappears, then try to open your chars.

If it still fails, then I'm afraid you've lost your chars for good :hanky:...

11. compres

compres IncGamers Member

Hey guys don't be unreasonable. I already said I was out in vacation, and I have those same chars for years so I did indeed made sure they did not expire over the time I played with them. However this time I did not make sure and lost them all.

You can defend blizzard all you want but you guys should know how hard it is to get started in such a game and stuff that were gained sometimes through hard work and other times through luck, should not get deleted like that IMO.

Now I understand they want to get rid of customers from a game that no longer give them any profit and I don't blame them. However I will keep this in mind when they offer me diablo 3 for example. If I read "Free Online Play" I will remember it's only good free online as long as the game is new and selling well. And by good I mean good based on my personal taste.

12. compres

compres IncGamers Member

Ohh and shes tried all of the suggestion and have to thank you all. I still have a single char(a Javazon) so guess I did not loose by best char. Let me know if you guys wan't to play later :)

13. Inokis

Inokis IncGamers Member

I let my characters expire on occasion so that I can start over. If it wasn't intentional on your part I can see why you're a bit upset, but it isn't difficult to start over.

as far ast the clock date goes, that is only cosmetic. That is a simple way for blizz to sync diablo to your computer, however the character date expiration is stored on the server. The computer date in no way impacts the characters.

14. compres

compres IncGamers Member

Guess I will start to play on east ladder since I have nothing left in regular realm LOL. Anyone here give me a hand on ladder?