Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

BabyNinetyNiner - a Zealer way to 99

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by Babyhell, Jun 7, 2019.

1. Babyhell

Babyhell IncGamers Member

BabyNinetyNiner is my second character involved in the UT99er challenge.

He is a Paladin, that i want to play as a Zealer, more probably as a classical Fanazealer.

Here i will try to have some reflexion about gear to hope for during a Patriarch/Guardian journey.

Apart the S/U lottery, the rune mechanics allow a more consistent planning on main gear, and shall therefore be prepared by any player that would like to optimize his/her journeys. As a Paladin fanatic ( :p ), it will at least be useful to myself to set it in place here, as a knowledge basis, in which I may include your ideas and/or given resources.

I will reserve some posts hereafter so I can reorganize things later.

So here I go!

2. Babyhell

Runewords

Bases and sockets introduction
    An item will not get sockets only based upon itself, but also considering its ilvl. Tables are available here.
    Regarding drop areas, socketing breakpoints are ilvl 26 and 41, which correspond to A4 Normal (any place) and A5 WSK 3. Therefore we may already drop some nice 4+os bases in late Normal!

Resources: https://diablo2.diablowiki.net/Sockets
    https://diablo2.diablowiki.net/Area_Level

Rune drops
    One very good way to drop runes consistently is running the Countess, in A1 Black marsh area. She.can drop runes from El to:
    - Ral in normal
    - Io, much rarely up to Ko in NM
    - Ist, much rarely up to Lo in Hell
    https://diablo2.diablowiki.net/The_Countess

Ort max rw
    Helms
    Shields

Ancient's pledge 21
    Massive resistances that are offered by early A5 quest: can be a go to if not planning to use the runes on another runeword early NM (Spirit for example), but can be easily replaced with 3 flawless diamonds. To be made only if it doesn't cost anything on other runeword making.
    Armors
    Stealth 17
    The classical FRW armor that can be farmed at normal Countess. Always nice to speed up things when killing is somehow easy with any setup! Magic damage reduction, FHR and mana regeneration on top if it make it a great choice at start.
    Weapons
    Steel 13
    Sword, axe, mace
    Basically free, can boost start of game tremendously, but may not compete with staff modded scepters at some point.
    Holy thunder 21 (24)
    Scepter - 3os max in normal, have to be in NM for a 4os chance :(
    Level req is due to +3 bonus to Holy shock, but higher rune is Ort. If the possibility to craft this scepter happens, it is really worth it. Due to socket limitation in normal, this cannot be crafted before early nightmare drop at best. Therefore better forget about this one - or for a twinked run.

My strategy proposal
    At Countess, craft a Stealth armor, and during process, save an Eth rune and craft a Steel weapon if possible. Then hope to find/shop a nice 4os scepter, and craft Holy thunder with A5 reward and the saved Eth. If no chance at that time and by then, make some additional countess runs. Use A5 reward to craft an Ancient pledge shield if have already those runes as spare - or craft it as soon as possible, keeping the reward for future runewords.

Shael max rw
    Helms
    Lore 27
    A good helm to start with: + 1skills, 7 damage reduction, 30 lightning res. Additional mana/mpk is bonus for Zealer, but at low lvl it can help with mana leeching/regen.
    Radiance 27
    Can be a more defensive option compared to Lore - even if Lore's lightning res is huge value, but shall be made only if 3os helms only are available.
    Shields
    Rhyme 29
    The crafted Cannot be frozen item. Unvaluable, supported by a nice 25 MF, [email protected], and blocking stats, we have here a contender as shield BiS until a HoZ or Raven drop, or until higher runes runewords can be crafted.
    Armors
    None ?
    Weapons
    Spirit 25
    Sword
    Strength 25
    Any melee weapon
    Honor 27
    Any melee weapon
    Huge stats for that level req, and can be put in a lucky staff modded scepter to maximize effect. Can really be worth a craft to run through Nightmare!

My strategy proposal
    Keep Stealth armor if nothing better has been dropped, and then come two possibilities:
    - go for the Strength or Spirit weapon
    - go for the Honor weapon
    In my opinion Lore is to be crafted, and Rhyme too asap. Going the Honor route requires a more difficult to find base (5os), and get two Sol out of the NM Countess (Lore and Honor one). It should be a matter of time to spend here, and get to a high lvl enough place to hit the necessary ilvl breakpoint to Larzuk/craft socket it, or decide to go this way only if base drops quickly.

Lem max rw
    Helms
    None ?
    Shields
    Splendor Lum 37
    Armors
    Weapons

Lem Treachery armor lvl 43
    Fal Lionheart armor lvl 41
    Lum Smoke armor 37
    Weap Lawbringer lem 43
    Weap Passion lem 43
    More caster oriented, but the additional skill point and defense can be of interest if Raven has been dropped.

MR rw
    Shields
    Sanctuary Mal

HR rw/endgame gear
    Helms
    Dream Jah - for specific build, lots of random stats
    Shields
    Exile Vex Ohm
    Phoenix Vex Vex Lo Jah
    Dream Jah - for specific build, lots of random stats
    Armors
    Fortitude Lo
    (Chain of Honor Ber for better resistances and damage reduction, but I think Fortitude is better overall)
    Weapons
    Death Vex Gul
    Eth sword, axe
    Grief Lo
    Phaseblade
    Breath of the Dying Zod
    Eth Berserker axe
    And the always useful Call to arms Ohm
    Any weapon

Last edited: Jun 14, 2019
  3. Babyhell

Endgame S/U gear targeted

Before entering Hell, some S/U can be targeted in NM with reasonable chances during leveling process. It can be valuable to decide where to make xp progress taking into account desired items.

Set apart the HoZ whom chances are really low, it appears that Mephisto NM is not a really good target for melee characters, at least regarding those end game pieces. It may be interesting to find some alternatives that could "make Mephisto great again" :p

For now, it seems that Diablo NM and Baal NM are somehow good targets to run to get the following items (chances to be detailed later based upon silospen calc):

Guillaume's Diablo/Meph/Baal NM
    SoE Andy Q NM, Diablo/Meph/Baal NM
    LoH Baal NM, Diablo after
    Raven Diablo/Baal NM
    Gore riders Baal NM, Diablo after

HoZ Diablo/Baal NM (low chances): shouldn't be targeted, but can drop eventually when farming for the other items.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2019
  4. Babyhell

The Normal run
    Act 1 is now finished. Andy wasn't really easy, but had been rewardful: a new weapon with some mana leech and a Gorefoot pair of boots at lvl 21 is not bad, given the fact that I had poor normal boots at that time. I'll have to forget about level 2 holy fire aura, but it's not a big deal as weapon damage is higher.

Stealth armor is done, and rune status has to be confirmed, but stashed Tal Tir Ith Eth for sure.
    As shield, a 3os targe (or rondache?) socketed with chipped diamonds giving [email protected] is not bad for now.
    Almost everything has to be worked on currently, drops are not as good as they were with BabyBeasts druid yet. But rune words are allowed, bases are to be found tho.

On next session, he completed his lvl 22 doing Andy runs, hoping some upgrade. This one went under the form of a Bloodfist pair of gloves 18def, always nice, Gorefoot boots, and a 17MF Nagelring.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Some weapon upgrade also before Steel craft:
    [​IMG]

Afterwards the cube was required and he did almost a full level getting it, dropping two Tir on the run.

In the end, decided to craft a Falchion Steel - I didn't do fine maths, so for me at 35ias total the 30% more Zeal attacks shouldn't compensate the about 50% more raw damage.
    [​IMG]

Having dropped no El at that time, went back to Countess for few runs. It was a Ral Tal Eth El sequence, so nice ones stashed for future runewords!

Finally completed the level by testing the weapon in the Stony tomb - nothing interesting has been found there.

Still no death to report :) Act 2 beetles incoming...:eek:

BabyNinetyNiner hit lvl 24 in A2. Got the Staff of Kings questing at /p1, and leveled to 24 in AT in /p7.

Dropped two weapons during this session: first one not close to Steel RW:
    [​IMG]

Second one could have been a contender if it was life leech...
    [​IMG]

Radament dropped a nice rare ring:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And on the way a nice update on merc armor:
    [​IMG]

To be updated/completed!

Last edited: Jun 15, 2019
  5. Babyhell

Reserved.

6. Babyhell

Reserved.

7. T72on1

T72on1 IncGamers Member

Good luck !!

Babyhell likes this.
  8. Ghonn

Ghonn IncGamers Member

You could always use a shield with flawless or perfect diamonds instead of Ancient's Pledge if you don't come across the runes and gain up to +56 all resistances with flawless diamonds only. [email protected] with perfect ones, but it's unlikely you have those before Ral Ort Tal. Higher resists of course come with the expense of dmg to mana and some defence.

Add those to a paladin shield with some base resists and no elemental attacks will harm you in early game. Max resists ain't _that_ big deal in that early phase anyway.

Unless you are fixated to using runewords, of course.

Edit: Damn. Just remembered that 4 sockets in normal might be daydreaming... :(

Babyhell likes this.
  9. Babyhell

@Ghonn I don't remember any time getting a 4os shield in normal. But i'm opening options here, not going full runeword, diamonds are definitely an option :)

10. Luhkoh

Luhkoh IncGamers Member

Nice! Idk why but I've done more low level zealers than other characters. Steel is indeed a great early runeword (in a scimitar) for fast atk speed if you go holy fire. However I prefer 3 ral's in a military pick for the extra fire dmg. And ofc you'll want strength rw for CB for bosses. Probably upgrade to black rw for bosses when you get to NM countess. Holy thunder is usually not achievable untwinked during the part of the game in which it's useful because of the number of sockets.

Before you go to fanaticism and physical dmg, you'll want a decent weapon. I think the way to go id farming nm mephisto till you get any of butchers pupil/fleshrender/headstriker. Then in a1 hell you will DEFINITELY want to upgrade the weapon to elite, so that likely means hell countess for a while for a pul. I think this is far more achievable than scoring a decent base and the runes for oath or something. Anyways I'll look forward to your progress, and hope that's somewhat helpful.

jonnyphive and Babyhell like this.
  11. Babyhell

@Luhkoh Yes, the CB is huge vs bosses, i may save 2os/3os flails asap :)

I guess you're right on Holy thunder... i was more or less thinking that Honor is achievable at about the same time, and that's a huge difference (in cost too, but it may be around NM Countess)

12. Talman

Talman IncGamers Member

Good luck :D

13. Babyhell

14. Jocular

Jocular IncGamers Member

I like it! You're making me want to try swapping my fc/maul 99er for a titan fury wolf :p (honestly will probably end that way, can't imagine I'll do enough dps otherwise)

Babyhell likes this.
  15. srrw

srrw IncGamers Member

Rhyme is endgame until HoZ/Ravenfrost. Ancient's Pledge is awful, just go with PDiamonds shield. Sanctuary is great if you have a CBF source, and really cheap too.

Butcher's Pupil is very end-game worthy weapon until you can farm yourself a Grief.

Enigma -> Fortitude/CoH/whatever. Mobility is MUCH more valuable on the way to 99. If you want to walk it's fine, tho.

Just random thoughts reading through the lines :rolleyes:

<3 Fanazealots

jonnyphive and Babyhell like this.
  16. Babyhell

Agreed! On my mind ancient pledge can be done only in case of spare runes. I'll check Sanctuary too :)

Noted ;) First Lo for Grief for sure!

I will see how the HR drops come ;)

So do I!

17. Babyhell

New resource added to complement socketing one:
    https://diablo2.diablowiki.net/Area_Level

Important note: new socketing breakpoint is ilvl 26, therefore A4 Normal can already drop some nice 4+os bases!

18. Luhkoh

Luhkoh IncGamers Member

@Babyhell normal is hardcoded where it can't DROP an item with more than 3os. Nm can't drop an item with more than 4os, regardless of ilvl. However if the ilvl is appropriate you can get more sockets in the cube (or larzuk).

Babyhell likes this.
  19. Babyhell

@Luhkoh I liked your commentary, but I dislike what you stated...really ? That sucks, some runewords are non doable when playing untwinked then :( I read too fast...there's a way using the cube! Praise be the D God!

Luhkoh likes this.
  20. Luhkoh

Luhkoh IncGamers Member

@Babyhell haha yeah thats why i mentioned kings grace and honor arent usually targets, and those upped nm mephy weapons are usually the way to go. I also dont think those runewords will be better than the 3 uniques i mentioned but am too lazy to run the numbers. I think the order of preference for fanazealot would be upped fleshrender/headstriker/butchers < eth oath rw < eth death rw < grief. Also upped steeldriver and/or ribcracker can be tremendous until the game gets hard enough that you want a shield. Good luck and I'll look forward to seeing what you run with!