Latest Diablo 3 News
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Baal solo runner

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by Corale, Jun 30, 2010.

1. Corale

Corale Diabloii.Net Member

Baal solo runner

Hello guys, long time no play, but here I am at it again :) Spent a couple of days warming up the old chars, and now I want to take my Avenger to patriarch. But one thing I need to ask first, is he a good solo Hell Baal prospect? I need that to get some equipment for my 89 blizzard sorc, namely Tal Rashas armor, as Pindle runs with her are giving good results but so far not that one.

And if an avenger is not the way to go, perhaps I can respec him once I do hell to a more optimal solo Baal runner? I have a decent equipment base to play around with, but far from all top level equipment.

All advice is very welcome.

Thanks!

2. Virtue

Virtue Diabloii.Net Member

Re: Baal solo runner

Well, if you're not in 1.13 (I believe 1.12 was still this way) Hammerdins utterly destroy everything to do with Baal runs. In 1.13 the "Magic Resistant" is actually resistant to the hammers now so the 2nd wave in a pain in the arse. Though you can just drop down the P level and whack them to death then pop the level back up.

3. Hammy

Hammy Diabloii.Net Member

In my opinion, an Avenger is going to have a couple issues with Baal that will make doing more than a few runs frustrating.

1. Decrepify from Baal is going to take a fairly slow attack and make it even slower, so you will have to lead, at the least, the last two waves back out of range.

2. Lister's pack is going to be a problem. Vengeance being interrupable (and slow), you will have a hard time getting hits to connect and get tossed around like a ragdoll.

As far as respeccing, it would depend on your available gear... If you want to avoid the Hammerdin route, you are pretty much stuck with Zeal. Fanaticism requires some pretty stellar gear, especially in the weapon department. Holy Shock is quite good, and cheaper. The cheapest and safest route is Holy Freeze, but it is slow. If you load up on CB and run at P1, your experience should be a fairly good one. With any Zealot, I would say the one mandatory piece of gear is Dracul's.

Having said all that, you are probably much more likely to find Tal's armor from Pindle with your Blizz Sorc in a timely fashion than running WSK/Baal with a Paladin, especially considering MF capacity.

In the end it all boils down to luck, so I wish you all the best!

-Hammy

4. Corale

Alright, cool, I'm 1.13c. Can my blizz sorc do decent Baal runs solo? She has shabby resistances with MF gear (again, need to exchange my 4 topaz chest for tal rasha, but now we are getting circular hehe). I think I could cut some MF, I have ~400 with charms, ~350 without. Perhaps for helmet I can use Kira's Guardian which I have on her when not MFing (which is never nowadays with that char). I did a respec so she is really 100% pure blizzard. I don't have any block % to mention though.

Would that work?

5. Hammy

Hammy Diabloii.Net Member

Some run Baal with a Blizz Sorc, since the only natural cold immunes are the mages in wave two, which your merc can mop up. Clearing the Throne can be tough though, depending on spawns. Like I said, personally I would just run Pindle. It's safer, you can carry more MF, and you can probably kill him ten or more times in the time a Baal run takes.

-Hammy

6. EatSleepDiablo

EatSleepDiablo Diabloii.Net Member

Try it but you will be disappointed. Go to the 99 thread and read how one player did it.

I would recommend Nightfish's guide on WSK. He discusses a number of worthwhile builds.

7. jdkerr

jdkerr Diabloii.Net Member

I didn't see the fishyzon in that guide, which he ends up recommending as a pretty good WSK/Baal runner. Before my restart, that is what I used, and with good results.

I just respeced my Pit strafer into a fishyzon, but I haven't spent any time in the Keep yet.

8. xxnothing

xxnothing Diabloii.Net Member

One way to find out! ;)

My pure blizz sorc runs Baal just fine, but she's clvl 95 and fully decked in Tal's and such. Still have to drop down to /p1 for the second minion wave and tele the merc onto each skeleton, which really slows everything down.

That said, I think I have found every Tal's armor I have running Pindle and LK. Two at least from Pindle and two from random LK boss-packs. Maybe one from Pits and one from WSK, my memory is hazy. None from Baal though! If you're after Tal's armor, I'd say Pindle runs are you're quickest bet.

9. sylecn

sylecn Diabloii.Net Member

Nightfish has mentioned using CE on double Hel Bonehew to speed up the 2nd wave for a blizz sorc. I haven't tried that myself though.

+1
    All Tal's armors I have found come from Pindle.

10. TemplarRoadkill

TemplarRoadkill Diabloii.Net Member

Im runnin Baal atm with my wind druid and i play on /p4 all the way , no probs.. as for pindle running, i never saw the point intill tonight... Pindle dropped me a Crown of age 2os and got a cold 5/-5 facet in the frozen river in the same run! :)

but then again my druid is just 86 and baal havent dropped me ANYTHING worthy.. go figure.. just bit over 200 runs atm

11. maareek

maareek Diabloii.Net Member

A few points: can a Blizz sorc run Baal? Yes. My Blizz sorc could turn in 5 to 5-1/2 minute runs at p1/p3. Nowhere even remotely close to Blova's p8/p3 times, but if you don't have Tal's armor, a Blova is probably unreasonable for you. I wouldn't necessarily say running Baal with Blizzy was much fun, though, with the constant telestomping and the S&Es (I'm known to be fairly obstinate, but I ain't hanging around long enough to telestomp 5 damn OKs before I can even start the waves, thank you very much).

Can a <insert pally build here> run Baal? Depends on your gear, but it's doubtful you can cobble one together that's fast enough and packs enough MF to make it worth your while.

Personally, I spent awhile agreeing with sirpoopsalot's statement that Baal was a good place to find Tal's armor. I mean, Baal has a bit of an affinity for TC84 items (at least proportionally) and has quite good odds of dropping at least rare, so of course he has relatively high odds to drop a Tal's armor. The problem is, most people who don't have a Tal's armor, don't have a character to run Baal effectively to get one. And I would count inefficient Baal runs as a travesty of MF running, just because the waves drop so abysmally.

I've come to look at Baal running for items like this (honestly this is a touch untrue [I actually deem Baal running for items horribly inefficient at all times], but close enough for this example): you have to kill the waves fast enough to not let their worse drop chances outweigh Baal's higher drop chances (I mean those terms in relation to AT/Pindle/Pits, etc. runs) which, honestly, means most builds are out. Beyond that, you have to factor in MF, as well as frequency of death (your char can't find items when they're horizontal, patella in their retina, staring at the sky with their good eye).

That's not to say that you shouldn't run Baal. If you enjoy it, then that's what's important and you should do what you enjoy in your game, but it seems like you're looking for an efficient option for finding a Tal's armor. Baal ain't it. Sorry. Honestly, I'd suggest that you try to rack it from the armor rack in Durance 3 before I'd suggest running Baal for it.

Pindle's boring, and I hate him, but he's a staple run for a reason. I'm fairly sure that a good AT map, ran well, would provide better odds over time than Pindle, but the zombie's a whole lot easier.

Alternatively, if you'd like a long shot, the most Tal's armors I have from a target in the shortest amount of runs is from the Flayer guarding the Gidbinn. I think I finished the quest with 20-30 characters and got one Tal's Guardianship from it.

In the end, I think it all boils down to the ever frustrating and overplayed, "just keep running." It'll drop eventually, regardless of which target you run. Just switch your hopes over to a high rolled Death's Fathom and see if that helps.

12. TheNix

TheNix Diabloii.Net Member

I run Baal with my Fishyzon with relative ease on one /p1, but with better gear, or more patience, I could ramp to up a bit.

13. Corale

Lots of good advice to consider here, I guess the pala is out. Did ~200 Pindle runs today, so off to a good start at least.

A baal runner is something I need anyway as I am at some point aiming for a grail I guess. Also like some of you mention Pindle gets boring after a while, so mixing up the MFing a bit will keep it more interesting, which is not to be underestimated :) It is looking like I might get up a new sorc and spec her for Baal, or get a good javazon running.

Thanks!

Edit: Did some more Pindle and lo and behold, a Templars might with +2 to auras and +211% ED :) Probably my coolest drop ever so far. A bit underwhelmed by the other stats but I guess it is the best defense armor in the game, what do you usually use this armor for? My mercs have too little strength.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2010
  14. potter

potter Diabloii.Net Member

Technically, you don't really need a Baal runner as any lvl85 area can net you your grail. That isn't to say you shouldn't make one. Just do what you like best.

Edit: I don't have a Templar's, but even if I got one, I wouldn't use it on any character/merc unless it was some sort of theme.

15. buckies

buckies Diabloii.Net Member

My Blizzard sorc smashes Baal runs. She's a cookie cutter build of 3 piece tals + Shako + Occy + Spirit Monarch + SoJs + Trangs + Travs.

I do all waves at Players 8, with the exception of wave 2 at players 1, so my merc can kill those skeletons quicker (have to tele away first though to lure them out of Baal's decrp range). Baal is done on players 3.

I'm around the 4:30 min mark to complete runs.

Other main ***** is throne room full of Ghoul lords (i.e. quit out and restart). Oblivion Knights aren't a problem now with no Iron Maiden, and, the harpies die quickly too.

However, as people have mentioned, your character wouldn't efficiently run Baal in its current state to make it worthwhile. AT is a blizz sorcs dream. No cold immunes and anything can drop there. I would invest my MF running into that, and, perhaps migrate to Baal runs once the loot from AT can upgrade your character to the point where she can run him quickly.

Pindle by comparison is a snore, a tight bastard when it comes to drops, and, any character or player can run hiim blindfolded.

16. Corale

Did some Ancient Tunnels a good while back but kept dying. After my respec I have more life though so I'll actually try that too. I'm also doing meph runs for Herald of Zakarum.

Anyway, lots of talk about doing Chaos Sanctuary running nowadays, is that for runes post 1.13 or?

Edit: Also, wich p setting for Ancient Tunnels? 8 I guess? I am warming up with p1 right now. Thanks :)

Last edited: Jul 2, 2010
  17. maareek

maareek Diabloii.Net Member

If you want sets and uniques, you should run AT at p1. Upping the players settings doesn't increase the drops from unique/champion monsters, which are what will be dropping almost all of your good drops.

Chaos Sanctuary runs are more popular because 1.13 got rid of IM. And it's a good run for experience, as well as being good for runes (comparatively).

18. Corale

Great, thanks. I'm doing a full AT run in around 4min30s, from entering game to exiting game. I think I need to get that down a bit, but I have 15 teleports from WP to entrance, and I prefer not to reroll maps because I have an awesome Meph map... Dilemma :)

19. Albatross

Albatross Diabloii.Net Member

Well.. if you don't want to reroll the map you are better off running Pindleskin instead.

Very experienced AT runners have an average time of 45 seconds per run. You only have to kill the bosses down there, nothing else is really important.

You should be killing an average of 5 unique monsters (I count champions as 1/3 of a boss) with an average time of less then a minute (and a half) to be effective in AT.

Edit:

This will help.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K3zHcuxgVvQ

20. Corale

Thanks, I'm down to 2-3 minutes per run, and I think with practice I will land at 2 min solid. I am not opting too much for max speed though, so that is probably fine :)

Hmm, does this go for Pindle as well? He doesn't get more drops from p8? So experience aside, and extra drops from his minions aside, you gain nothing from that. Are the extra minion drops worth it?