Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Baal runner sorceress help needed

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by nazgarok, Sep 14, 2006.

1. nazgarok

nazgarok IncGamers Member

Baal runner sorceress help needed

Hello everyone, I am thinking to build a sorceress to reach level 99 but i need some suggestions. First of all, I have pure blizzard lvl 93 sorceress but i think she is not good enough on baal runs, so i want to build a dual tree. I read about blizzballers and it seems a good idea but the skill allocation is rather difficult. So what would you suggest for skills? Also what equipment should i use? I currently do not have fathom, nightwings, sojs, maras, tal's orb, and high runes(above ist) but own all other equipment good for a sorceress.
    I have some other questions about this build.
    Should i go for max block or is it useless?
    I did some baal runs with my current sorceress and realised that p3 and p8 gives the same exp and p3 does not give 2x exp of p1, why is it like this?(for baal)
    Are diablo runs good for leveling to 99?
    Is ondals wisdom worth to get and use as a switch?(exp bonus)
    Where can i find skill charms easily?(they are really hard to get but there could be a way)
    Aprox. how many baal runs are needed from level 93 to 99?

2. grogs

grogs IncGamers Member

Pure bliz sorc's are able to get to 99 (my 99er is pure bliz), it does take some patience and practice though. Clearing the throne and killing the first 2 waves at /p1 is also necessary.

Both Tweety and DC's 99er are blizballers, their equipment is similar, search for their 99 threads and you'll get some idea of equipment:smiley:

none of the 3 sorceresses that have got to 99 on this forum have had max block.

Baal's exp plateaus out at /p3, running him at higher players settings is useless for exp. (not true for the minions though, always kill them at /p8)

While Diablo and Baal give similar exp at higer levels, Baals minions contribute alot to the overall exp gained per run (yes even at lvl 98).

Maybe, depends on what else you have on switch and the trouble it takes to replace your switch weapon. eg. mine had Bonehew on switch for CE, DC and tweety had CtA on switch.

Look for ilevel 50 GC's, and reroll them.

in the vacinity of 6000 if you don't die.

If you kill the first 2 waves at /p1, then its 3900 runs from 98 - 99.
    If you kill them at /p8 its only 3500 from 98 - 99.
    Around 1000 runs from 97 - 98
    ~ 500 runs from 96 - 97
    ~ 250 runs from 95 - 96
    ~ 100 runs from 94 - 95
    ~ 50 odd from 93 - 94

3. DarkChaos

DarkChaos IncGamers Member

4. nazgarok

thanks for your answers, i think i will start a blizzballer from scratch, since it is not hard to get to lvl93. Also i do not have an ohm rune(for cta) and if i can not find it, i will try ondals for switch.

5. FrostBurn

FrostBurn IncGamers Member

Miladys-Knight was the first to write a guide on the Blizzball. This guide has a more reasonable range of equipment. Full Tal Rasha's set is also an excellent choice for affordability, resists, +life/mana, 50% FCR, and + and - to enemy resistances, which often is overlooked.

The original and basic skill layout is 20/20 in Fireball/Meteor and 20 in Blizzard, slvl 17 CM after +skills, with 20 in either IceBlast or GlacialSpike, depending on whether you want a strong single attack (IB) or longer freezing duration with better crowd control (GS). I strongly recommend the use of Meteor in conjuction with Fireball, contrary to the opinions of many Meteor-haters.

If you wish to know more, either PM me or post here, and I'll offer further advice.

6. nazgarok

Meteor will require 3 more skill points which can be used in blizzards synergies.
    Since blizzard is the main attack, i think maxing firebolt is better, or do you think meteor will help killing the act 2 wave faster?(I am planning to kill them on p8). If that is so, maxing meteor could be better.

7. FrostBurn

If all you're ever going to do is kill the cold mages on /p8, then 20/20 in FBolt/FBall is enough.

If you want to use your Blizzball to actually run areas like the Pits and WSK, then Meteor will make your life much easier against CIs.

It depends on what you want, whether your view is in line with 'those 3 skill points could be used for synergising Blizzard', and whether you are a Meteor-lover or Meteor-hater.

8. nazgarok

I have another question about Ondal's Wisdom. I don't have it yet, so i have to ask someone who knows about this. Do I have to cast the killing spell with ondal's to gain more experience, or is it enough to just switch it when the monsters are about to die?

9. Corrupted

Corrupted IncGamers Member

I'm fairly certain that they have to die while you're wearing it.

10. nazgarok

That's better than casting the final spells with it, thanks for your answer.

11. Corrupted

Corrupted IncGamers Member

That was actually what I meant. :badteeth:

12. MageChick

MageChick IncGamers Member

Ever looked into meteorb? Don't be afraid it's actually more of a fireball-frozen orb build, meteor is kinda a secondary attack. (although meteor is very usefull for baal's minions)

Basic build is something like this

20 Fireball
    20 Meteor
    15+ Fire Mastery
    5+ Firebolt
    20 Frozen Orb
    10+ Cold Mastery (slvl 17 with all your +skill gear)
    Of course you get all the pre-req's along with warmth, teleport, and static.

It's pretty similar to blizzballer but its more fire than cold attack. The main skill is a pretty fast and synergized fireball. FO is there as back up for the fire immunes.

Here's the official guide from the sorc forum.
    http://forums.diabloii.net/showthread.php?t=254070

13. nazgarok

How long does an average baal run takes with this build? The minions at p8 and baal at p3. I plan to reach level 99, so time is really important.

14. jjscud

jjscud IncGamers Member

Both DC's and tweety's well equipped blizzballer were running at about 3.5 minutes. That time is really tough to beat and a blizzballer is probably about the cheapest way to get that time.

15. nazgarok

I currently can run at around 4 minutes but my sorc is pure blizzard (for MF), so I think blizzballer is the best way to go. However, I want to find fathom and sojs or bul-kathos' before I start and I also want to try ondal's, so I have to do some more pindle runs, I hope I'll find fathom in a short time, it has become annoying finding high TC uniques useless for a sorc.

16. MageChick

MageChick IncGamers Member

17. FrostBurn

Meteorbs are not as efficient as Blizzballs for /p8 Baal running. Your FO will take quite a bit of time killing /p8 Minions of Destruction.

Similiar, pure Blizzard sorcs will struggle with the /p8 cold mages of Achmel's wave.

You can go with the unique setup for a Blizzball (as appears to be the case), but you'll probably continue searching for a long time for that Death's Fathom (unless you get really lucky).

18. nazgarok

I just found a rare dimensional shard and got mad.

19. Skinny

Skinny Banned

The difference is that the cold mages are few and weak while Lister&co are like 8 murderous bastards. Blizzball all the way (well, for Baal at least)

20. nazgarok

Also if lister is cold immune, it is possible to take him out of baal's sight easily(very hard to do with the act2 mages) so it makes the runs quicker. Since I plan to equip my merc with kelpie, he can't kill lister easily at /p8.