Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Baal minions bug?

Discussion in 'Diablo 2 Patch Bug Reports & Suggestions' started by Diab, Mar 20, 2004.

1. Diab

Diab IncGamers Member

Baal minions bug?

I remember reading somewhere in this forum about a baal minions bug. Can anyone explain to me what this is?

I think I have encountered this bug, or it may be a whole different one.

I'm currently leveling and mfing at hell baal with my level 83 hammerdin, mostly in public run games, but sometimes in private games. I noticed that while Lister and his guys are supposed to normally give the most exp out of all the "waves" of attackers, the Balrog-type guys ("Dragons", as I call them :lol: ) give me the most. All other minons give very, very little exp.

I don't think I've ever encountered this with any of my other chars. Has anyone encountered this before?

2. Choogy

Choogy IncGamers Member

I thought there was a certain bug where baal's minions (i.e. waves) would not come and instead baal would continually cast poison, lightning, and decrepify even with no creatures around
    you could get around this one by leaving the area, same as if you were in the worldstone chamber w/ clones

Seemed that the bug happened the most with necro's....

Edit: Also, you seem to get more exp cause there's more balrogs than minions of destruction

3. skilledlord

skilledlord IncGamers Member

i dink choogy is right.

4. Shadow_247

Shadow_247 IncGamers Member

I'd stick with Choogy's second response. And also, keep in mind that because of area scaling, the lister pack and balrog pack are the exact same level (** i believe). Because area scaling does not affect normal, lister gives noticably more xp than balrogs in that difficulty.

The first bug Choogy mentioned is different altogether, and only affects xp in the means of you not getting any. The reason why that bug manifests, and no minions spawn is because the "spawning pads" (where the minions spawn), are blocked, usually by bone wall. Sometimes leaving to town works, but if that doesn't, a new game must be created.

5. Backdoor Bandit

Backdoor Bandit IncGamers Member

Quickly going to Harrogath helps me usually. If not, you just need to create a new game. Frustrating, but that's the way the cookie crumbles :lol:

6. xlodtraderx

xlodtraderx IncGamers Member

you know...diabllico..that is a VERY intresting post. Because i think this proves that my theory is right...hehe. Which is....that monsters give different xp to different types of characters! Seriously...i really think this is true. I lv with my lv 83 lighting fury ama and do eldrich / shenk 8 player games...SLOW lving...very VERY slow lving. Killing speed is very fast. Go with my lv 83 hammardin...EXACT same situations...he lvs VERY fast. And he kills almost the same as the javazon. Go on my lv 82 necro...same thing as javazon. Go on my lv 82 barb...same thing as my hammardin. See a pattern here? I duno...but i really think this is a new feature to provide balance for the characters...?

7. Diab

Diab IncGamers Member

That's interesting, I've had something like that happen to me before. I started by trapasn (which I play melee duirng the first 30 or so levels) and she was leveling very fast by doing Andy runs -- at level 16. Only by the time I was 21, the exp started to come slowly. I don't know why, but I've never had this happen to any of my characters. All of them stopped getting good exp from Andy at level 13 or 14.

Your theory, though, is pretty insane, becasue that would be discrimination against some types of characters.

8. BuddySativa

BuddySativa IncGamers Member

I remember testing experience in 1.10 patch in normal game single player.

I thought the xp would start dropping off from baal runs after lvl 40 or so. But the xp actually went gradually UP after about lvl 45 and there was no drop in xp till about lvl 60. It was quicker to lvl up in normal than nm :)

This may well have been a patch bug as I have not tested in real 1.10.

My Ladder chars - conc barb(91) and wind druid(91) - get around 4.5 to 5.5 million xp for a solo player diablo and baal run, depending on boss packs you meet along the way etc.

Druid(92) now gets about 3 to 4 mill per diablo & baal run.

They both put on xp at the same rate up to lvl 91 and I never noticed any strange xp changes.

I know the xp in foothills and beyond doesn't really kick in till lvl 30.

The general rule I follow is Act1 lvl 1-12, Act2 lvl 13-18, Act3 lvl 19-24, Act4 lvl 25-30 and pick up on Act5 from there.

Could it possibly be due to mercs ??

If your merc level is well below your level (and the monster level) and the merc does the killing, then your xp would be dramatically reduced. If, however, your char is doing the killing then the xp would be 'normal' for the character and you wouldn't see the drop in xp.

If this is in public 8 player games the difference could be even more dramtaic if other players mercs are doing the killing. Your xp would differ considerably depending on who/what/which does the killing and their respective lvls.

The only way to truly measure xp is in solo games where you are not affected by outside influences and can get a more accurate picture of how xp changes.

The only minion pack that gives low xp, in my experience, is the first lot - after that each monster gives about the same xp. Each pack gives different total xp due to the quantity of monsters in it, like Choogy says, and the balrogs are definitely more populous.

It would be very odd for xp to differ based on chacter - especially as it is not a published feature. How can lvling a necro SLOWER than a barb be considered 'balanced' ?? !! - surely it should be the other way round!

PS. tp to town, wait 20 secs and tp back is a good way of getting rid of Baal clone - works 90% time for me.

9. DarkY

DarkY IncGamers Member

i played baalruns without any exp gain.
    all my sorces getting nice exp till lvl 22 in a1 :)
    the last 2 minions waves are best xp
    doing baal NM from lvl 40-50 gives at least 2 lvls a run, the exp bug in beta was fun yes, but not active any more.
    doing baal hell from lvl 60-70 gives 1.98 or 2lvls a run