Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

[B]Faith / Fury Hybrid[/B]

Discussion in 'Amazon' started by XZON, Mar 22, 2005.

1. XZON

XZON IncGamers Member

Faith / Fury Hybrid

Introduction

I have been a bowazon fan ever since Diablo 2 came out. It was my first character in single player as well as softcore ladder season 1. Since then I have built over 20 different bowazons. My first character to kill Diablo clone was an amazon wielding a buriza using guided. I have built WWS straffers, Windforce straffers, Buriza straffers/multi zons, Faith multizons, WF multizons with act 1 faith mercs so on and so on. What motivated me was the fact that bowazons were considered by many to be weak / difficult builds. Getting resists is tough. Major trade offs in damage/AR if going the vitality route. Dealing with immunities was difficult. Extremely item dependent. The only thing the lowly bowazon had going for her was that she was ranged and therefore did not have the same problems with Iron Maiden or Stygian Dolls that other characters had. I have had incredible success with some of my recent builds and perhaps have hit the apex of my ability with bowazon builds. All this and never once had I experimented with the Javelin tree. The time had finally come.

The Build

After reading through the guides I decided to go Max Lightening Fury for cows -n- crowds, Charged Strike for boss’s and at lease one synergy. Now it was time to decide how to handle Lightening Immunes and even worse…Lightening and Physical Immunes. I did not like any of the options offered in the other builds (poison is just not for me) and I needed to be able to handle all areas of the game solo. Since this build would be working much closer to the enemies than my previous builds, I figured that resists and life would be far more important than ever before. I figured a bow on switch would be best as this was what I was used to anyway but this build would have much less dex than I was used to. Heck, my previous bowazons were 450+ Dex builds and I still kept a demon limb on switch. How would I hit anything? That’s when it hit me. Faith has ITD and since it has fanaticism, lower ias requirements to hit a decent shooting speed. PERFECT.

Gear

I tend to let my gear determine my stat/skill point placements so this is where I started. Since this was primarily a Lightening zon, I would focus on +skill items but make sure that I had the necessary leech to survive.

Helm – Shako w/ 15% ias jewel – (mf, life, mana, +2 all skills) sweet
    Armor – COH (resists, life leech, +2 skills) perfect
    Shield – Spirit (cheap and +2 skills. Great other mods)
    Boots – War travelers (mf, frw and damage boost. Great boots)
    Gloves – crafted +2 bow skills, knockback, 20% ias (I will explain why bow skills later)
    Belt – Thundergods Vigor (light absorb, +3 LF and STR)
    Amulet – Cats eye (frw, dex, 20% ias)
    Ring – Ravenfrost – (dex, can not be frozen)
    Ring – manald heal (our mana leech)
    Weapon – upped titans (mine ethereal 190% but any will do)
    Switch – Faith GMB (mine has +2 bow skills,+2 all skills, level 14 fanaticism)
    Annihilus charm

Ok. Let’s see what we have here. In javelin mode we have +9 to passive skills and +11 to javelin skills. In bow mode we have +7 to passive skills and +11 to bow skills. We have life and mana leech covered. We have 55% ias which will net an 8/2 strafe with faith GMB. We have knockback. We can absorb lightening which is always a bonus and we cannot be frozen. Our resists look pretty strong.

Our damage for strafe will be a bit low without fortitude or a lot of dex but let’s be real, we are building a Lightening based zon with a very fast strafe as back up. My strafe damage with this build is 1,850 without any merc auras. Respectable to say the least (ask any WWS straffer).

Stats

Str – Enough for Gear. Highest Req will be spirit @ 163 I believe. You will get a big boost from your items so work backwards.

Dex – Enough for Gear. Highest is Upped titans @ around 159. Same as above.

Vit – The rest. Keep your life high and you don’t die. Simple as that.

Skills

Javelin
    LF – max (crowd control when close together)
    CS – max (boss skill)
    LS – max (another great crowd skill when enemies are spread out)
    60 total in javelin tree

Bow
    Magic arrow – 1 (level 12 with + skills. For the rare PI/LI)
    Multi – 1
    Guided – 1
    Strafe – 1 (level 12 with + skills. Main switch skill)
    That’s right. Only 4 points in bow tree. Outstanding.

Passive
    (I carry 1 passive skiller which = +8 in bow mode and +10 in jav mode.

Critical strike – 1 (9 in bow mode = 54%)
    Penetrate – 1
    Pierce – to taste (I have 9 which gives (19) 84% in jav and (17) 82% in bow
    D/A/E 1,1,1 = 49,57,49 in javelin mode
    Inner site – 1
    Slow missles – 1
    Decoy – 1
    Valk – 1 (level 11 if cast in jav mode)

18 total skill points in passive tree

82 total skill points. This is achieved at level 71. Remaining skill points can be spent in valk, pierce, magic arrow or another synergy for Charged Strike.

Charms

I carry 3 Javelin Skillers with + life & 1 passive with life. I also carry a bunch of 20 life sc’s with resist second mods and 1 x 15% resist all GC with life. In general this is the best place for this amazon to get additional resists / life. The Javelin charms are just overkill.

Merc

I never bothered to level a merc to help me. Did not even need to. If I had to choose, I would probably go holy freeze. You could Go might merc and get concentration from a runeword. This would substantially increase your strafe damage but I have never felt the need. I am in the process of leveling a Holy freeze merc at the moment just for the hell of it.

Recap

Basically spending hard skill points in the bow or passive tree does not increase damage substantially for bowazons. When making bowazons we are forced to spend these points here as our equipment is geared to leeching, damage and speed. Bowazons benefit very little from +skills. Now javazons are similar to many other builds in that +skills directly affects damage output. This build takes advantage of the +skills to increase our damage while maintaining high attack speed and maintaining high passives.

The build is not all that expensive besides Faith GMB and Chains of Honor. Faith is a must but Vipermagi could replace COH. I sometimes use a rare circlet with dual 7 or 8% leech, +2 amazon skills and 8% resist all with a 15% jewel in it. Then I throw on an SOJ. I use the +2 bow skills gloves to save skill points in magic arrow and strafe. You could always wear +2 Javelin crafted gloves and spend a couple extra points in the bow tree. I choose Thundergods Vigor over razortail as I have so much + passive skills that the light absorb is a better value. The strafe damage coupled with COH (ed% to demons) and knockback makes Chaos Runs very doable.

I am at level ** with this zon and have spent at least 10 additional skill points in a 3rd synergy for CS. Cows are a joke with level 37 lightening fury. Baal and Diablo go down very quickly from level 34 Charged strike. Most builds have 1 or more areas of the game that cause them difficulty. I can honestly say that with this build, I have yet to come across one.

Hope you enjoy this build as much as I have.

2. DudSpud

DudSpud IncGamers Member

Certainly an impressive build. I wonder what your final stats/life/mana came out to be - please post. I am also curious as to your strategy: do you play her more ranged with strafe/MA/LF and only melee with CS and fringe-hitting LS. CoH sounds great, but I would be nervous to mix it up without some great def, strong merc and valk. If mostly played as a ranger, what do you think of going with a full bow skill rather than LS? Also, did you level up as a Jabber or a weak Strafer?

Also, a couple of nits - your skill total is wrong - you left out the javalin pre-req's and CA. And the max str you need is 156/185/219 depending on the shield you made Spirit in (CoH may have affected this...).

All in all, a sweet build - I'd love to try her out.

Drop of the Anni, Faith, CoH, and Shako at *DudSpud, and I'll let you know.:D

DudSpud

3. XZON

XZON IncGamers Member

Wrote the guide from memory. Monarch for spirit so 156. Thanks for noticing the missing couple skill points for prereqs. Probably why at ** I only have about 10 in the 3rd synergy.

life is arounf 1400 but will check later. Mana is somewhere between 350 and 500. Again will check. Leveled as CS/straffer. I have almost every low and mid item so I was totally tweeked the whole way. Helps keep you safe and minimize wasted stat/skill points. I think I used 8 different bows on the way up including a godly rare matriarchal bow available at 42.

Current play depends on area. In a lot of areas I actually use lightening strike. Chaos sanc as a straffer with CS for 2 of the seal boss's and diablo. LF for tightly packed areas, Strafe for corrodors, LF for baals minions, CS for all bosses/superuniques. As long as I can't get IM'd, I wanna go mix it up. 59% dodge, a bit of block and 1400 life keeps you safe enough for CS to take down all of listers bunch before you have a problem.

A major requirement of this build is faith for the ITD/fanaticism. If you have that bow, you probably can scrounge up most of the other gear with the exception of Chains of Honor.

4. XZON

XZON IncGamers Member

Just checked actual stats:

Level 87

All with gear.
    (Jav / Bow)

Str 176 / 156
    Dex 288 / 268
    Vit 295 / 273
    Energy 36 / 36
    Life 1609 / 1543
    Mana 512 / 413
    Resists 75,75,85,75 both modes

Damage
    Magic arrow = 628-2411
    Strafe = 495-1950
    Charged strike = 665-1316 Physical and 1-4111 x 9 light
    LF = 742-1516 physical and 1-2928 x 38 light

Chance to Block = 73%

Naked
    Str 85
    Dex 203 (forgot, I went max block here)
    Vit 222
    Energy 15

Skills
    inner 1
    slow 1
    decoy 1
    valke 1
    D/A/E 2/2/2
    Critical 2
    Penetrate 1
    Pierce 7 (80 & 82%)
    Magic 1
    Multi 1
    Guided 1
    Strafe 1
    Jab 1
    Poison Jav 1
    Plague Jav 1
    Lightening Fury 20
    Lightening Strike 20
    Charged strike 20
    Power strike 5 (synergy)
    Lightening bolt 5 (synergy)

Actually was pretty close from memory except for the max block.

5. XZON

XZON IncGamers Member

Faith / Fury Hybrid revised

Made corrections & added my final stats / damage @ level 87.

Introduction

I have been a bowazon fan ever since Diablo 2 came out. It was my first character in single player as well as softcore ladder season 1. Since then I have built over 20 different bowazons. My first character to kill Diablo clone was an amazon wielding a buriza using guided. I have built WWS straffers, Windforce straffers, Buriza straffers/multi zons, Faith multizons, WF multizons with act 1 faith mercs so on and so on. What motivated me was the fact that bowazons were considered by many to be weak / difficult builds. Getting resists is tough. Major trade offs in damage/AR if going the vitality route. Dealing with immunities was difficult. Extremely item dependent. The only thing the lowly bowazon had going for her was that she was ranged and therefore did not have the same problems with Iron Maiden or Stygian Dolls that other characters had. I have had incredible success with some of my recent builds and perhaps have hit the apex of my ability with bowazon builds. All this and never once had I experimented with the Javelin tree. The time had finally come.

The Build

After reading through the guides I decided to go Max Lightening Fury for cows -n- crowds, Charged Strike for boss’s and at lease one synergy. Now it was time to decide how to handle Lightening Immunes and even worse…Lightening and Physical Immunes. I did not like any of the options offered in the other builds (poison is just not for me) and I needed to be able to handle all areas of the game solo. Since this build would be working much closer to the enemies than my previous builds, I figured that resists and life would be far more important than ever before. I figured a bow on switch would be best as this was what I was used to anyway but this build would have much less dex than I was used to. Heck, my previous bowazons were 450+ Dex builds and I still kept a demon limb on switch. How would I hit anything? That’s when it hit me. Faith has ITD and since it has fanaticism, lower ias requirements to hit a decent shooting speed. PERFECT.

Gear

I tend to let my gear determine my stat/skill point placements so this is where I started. Since this was primarily a Lightening zon, I would focus on +skill items but make sure that I had the necessary leech to survive.

Helm – Shako w/ 15% ias jewel – (mf, life, mana, +2 all skills) sweet
    Armor – COH (resists, life leech, +2 skills) perfect
    Shield – Spirit (cheap and +2 skills. Great other mods)
    Boots – War travelers (mf, frw and damage boost. Great boots)
    Gloves – crafted +2 bow skills, knockback, 20% ias (I will explain why bow skills later)
    Belt – Thundergods Vigor (light absorb, +3 LF and STR)
    Amulet – Cats eye (frw, dex, 20% ias)
    Ring – Ravenfrost – (dex, can not be frozen)
    Ring – manald heal (our mana leech)
    Weapon – upped titans (mine ethereal 190% but any will do)
    Switch – Faith GMB (mine has +2 bow skills,+2 all skills, level 14 fanaticism)
    Annihilus charm

Ok. Let’s see what we have here. In javelin mode we have +9 to passive skills and +11 to javelin skills. In bow mode we have +7 to passive skills and +11 to bow skills. We have life and mana leech covered. We have 55% ias which will net an 8/2 strafe with faith GMB. We have knockback. We can absorb lightening which is always a bonus and we cannot be frozen. Our resists look pretty strong.

Our damage for strafe will be a bit low without fortitude or a lot of dex but let’s be real, we are building a Lightening based zon with a very fast strafe as back up. My strafe damage with this build is 1,950 without any merc auras. Respectable to say the least (ask any WWS straffer).

Stats

Str – Enough for Gear. Highest Req will be spirit monarch @ 156. You will get a big boost from your items so work backwards.

Dex – Enough for max block. I am at 203 naked, 288 in jav mode.

Vit – The rest. Keep your life high and you don’t die. Simple as that.

Skills

Javelin
    Jab – 1
    Poison Jav – 1 (prereq)
    Plague Jav – 1 (prereq)
    Power Strike – 1 (prereq & synergy)
    Lightening Bolt – 1 (prereq & synergy)
    LF – max (crowd control when close together)
    CS – max (boss skill)
    LS – max (another great crowd skill when enemies are spread out)
    65 total in javelin tree

Bow
    Magic arrow – 1 (level 12 with + skills. For the rare PI/LI)
    Multi – 1
    Guided – 1
    Strafe – 1 (level 12 with + skills. Main switch skill)
    That’s right. Only 4 points in bow tree. Outstanding.

Passive
    (I carry 1 passive skiller which = +8 in bow mode and +10 in jav mode.

Critical strike – 1 (9 in bow mode = 54%)
    Penetrate – 1
    Pierce – to taste (I have 9 which gives (19) 84% in jav and (17) 82% in bow
    D/A/E 1,1,1 = 49,57,49 in javelin mode
    Inner site – 1
    Slow missles – 1
    Decoy – 1
    Valk – 1 (level 11 if cast in jav mode)

18 total skill points in passive tree

87 total skill points. This is achieved at level 76. Remaining skill points can be spent in valk, pierce, magic arrow, D/A/E or another synergy for Charged Strike.

My final stats @ level 87

Naked / Javelin / Bow
    Str 85 / 176 / 156
    Dex 203 / 288 / 268
    Vit 222 / 295 / 273
    Energy 15 / 36 / 36
    Life xx / 1609 / 1543
    Mana xx / 512 / 413
    Resists 75,75,85,75 in bow and jav
    Chance to Block 73%

My damage @ level 87

Magic arrow = 628-2411
    Strafe = 495-1950
    Cstrike = 655-1316 physical and 1-4111 x 9 light
    Lfury = 742-1516 physical and 1-2928 x 38 light

My skills same as above except extra 1 in D/A/E and 8 extra points in Synergies for CS. Pierce is only 7 but next 2 points will bring to 9 as listed above.

Charms

I carry 3 Javelin Skillers with + life & 1 passive with life. I also carry a bunch of 20 life sc’s with resist second mods and 1 x 15% resist all GC with life. In general this is the best place for this amazon to get additional resists / life. The Javelin charms are just overkill.

Merc

I never bothered to level a merc to help me. Did not even need to. If I had to choose, I would probably go holy freeze. You could Go might merc and get concentration from a runeword. This would substantially increase your strafe damage but I have never felt the need. I am in the process of leveling a Holy freeze merc at the moment just for the hell of it.

Recap

Basically spending hard skill points in the bow or passive tree does not increase damage substantially for bowazons. When making bowazons we are forced to spend these points here as our equipment is geared to leeching, damage and speed. Bowazons benefit very little from +skills. Now javazons are similar to many other builds in that +skills directly affects damage output. This build takes advantage of the +skills to increase our damage while maintaining high attack speed and maintaining high passives.

The build is not all that expensive besides Faith GMB and Chains of Honor. Faith is a must but Vipermagi could replace COH. I sometimes use a rare circlet with dual 7 or 8% leech, +2 amazon skills and 8% resist all with a 15% jewel in it. Then I throw on an SOJ. I use the +2 bow skills gloves to save skill points in magic arrow and strafe. You could always wear +2 Javelin crafted gloves and spend a couple extra points in the bow tree. I choose Thundergods Vigor over razortail as I have so much + passive skills that the light absorb is a better value. The strafe damage coupled with COH (ed% to demons) and knockback makes Chaos Runs very doable.

I am at level 87 with this zon and have spent at least 10 additional skill points in a 3rd synergy for CS. Cows are a joke with level 37 lightening fury. Baal and Diablo go down very quickly from level 34 Charged strike. Most builds have 1 or more areas of the game that cause them difficulty. I can honestly say that with this build, I have yet to come across one.

Hope you enjoy this build as much as I have.

6. DudSpud

DudSpud IncGamers Member

Thanks for the tips - I thought you would be using LS alot but wasn't sure because I have only seen it used. And melee makes more sense with max block, possible with all of the life from charms and of course 50+% D/A. I think I might try my own version next - I am slowly turning into a Spearie.

The guide looks better as you fleshed it out, but... one last nit, I promise - Cold arrow is a pre-req for guided/strafe.

DudSpud

7. XZON

XZON IncGamers Member

You are correct. Just checked all the skill points and there is one there. Missed it. I'm pretty sure that you won't find anything else there. I use LS a lot in open area's. I really do play mostly like a javazon. If I see knights or LI then I go Strafe. If I run into a couple baddies, I will just run up to them & CS them. LS left click, Fury or CS on right. Magic arrow on left, Strafe on right. The 75% block & 49/59/49 with 1600 life makes meele pretty safe. Overall damage is pretty close to a full lighening build but with a very good method of dealing with immunities. With a little gear switch, you have a pure light build. The strafe part of this build is actually pretty strong. Figure 1,200 average damage at 8/2 with knockback. You could definately play this as a straffer if you get a better meat shield (pump a few more into valk and develop a merc). Would probably kill at about the same rate as an upped WWS. Max resists and 1500 life in bow mode is like a hardcore WWS straffer.

8. XZON

XZON IncGamers Member

Over 100 views and no opinions/questions/suggestions???

Tell me what you think. Tell me something you would do different. Tell me it stinks. Tell me something :)

9. DudSpud

DudSpud IncGamers Member

I think that many people who would have commented blew their rhetorical wad on Euro-Crash's Faith hybrid. The builds both have Titan's and Faith, but to me are quite different. His is primairly multi, which is a different mentality than Strafe. Also different is that yours is really an elemental melee build with a ranged back-up, while his is all ranged. Thus you scrimped on bow points to get some killer lightning attacks. This forced you to get as much +skills items as you could and still remain viable. I actually think that +skills on a Zon is underrated beacuse of the power of the passive evade skills, pierce, and penetrate, not to mention your actual attack skills. Then again, who doesn't want more skill points...

Strafers, for one, because after slvl 6, you are maxed on the number of arrows you can fire, and in your build at slvl 12 you are firing a minimum of 5, and then only at LI's. This is where I think the best idea of your build lies, using a physical attack that doesn't require being maxed out as a secondary skill. Each point only gives you 5% more damage - worth it for the pure strafer, but not here.

Oh, and speaking of skills, I can make an earth-shattering suggestion that will make your build truly uber - get MA to 13 so it costs no mana.

One other suggestion I would give is Insight. I know you didn't do too much with Mercs, but LF eats mana - perhaps with this and SoJ, you could drop the Manald and get +1 skills. And for the real rich, Infinity for the conviction aura to break many LI's and soften up all the rest. Pride for concentration would be nice, and certainly increase his damage, but if strafe is mostly a secondary skill, and most of your damage is lightning, this seems less needed.

Oh, and another suggest from a poorer player such as myself - In you set up you can get up to +13 on Valk when cast by shopping +3 passive gloves, +3 passive circlet, +3 passive ammy, +4 Titans/Spirit - heck, as long as we are switching stuff out - go to +16 (the magic slvl17!) with 2xSoJ/BK and arachnid mesh.

DudSpud

10. XZON

XZON IncGamers Member

I guess you are right about crashs's build. Both do seem similar when you consider that both require faith to be done rightand both are bow/light hybrids. I just recently fell in love with the light tree but the LI's take forever to kill. When I built a pure light build, I realized how incredible all those +skills worked in the passive tree and then to solve the Immunity problem, I could get away cheap with a bow skill like strafe. With ITD and Fanat, it would have good power/speed without much effort. That damn mana forced me to the manald or dual leech but a good runeword on merc would definately allow the soj. Nice idea. I was also thining a lycanders could work as a poorer build as it has ITD. The damage would be lower and it would be slower but it could work. I will throw one more point in MA since I am at 12 now.

By the way, I am a big fan of faith multi. kills very fast but I wanted to maximize the light tree so could not afford to pump dex and forgo the life. I had little DR and love to go toe to toe with CS. Figured strafe would work well against the small groups of LI's.

11. Dacar92

Dacar92 Community, Amazon, DH Moderator & Inc Clan Officer

I think this little guide deserves to be stuck, too. XZON can you tell me if you have cleaned it up to your desired leveland whether or not you want to add anything to it?

Thanks

12. XZON

XZON IncGamers Member

Thanks Dacar. I made all corrections/revisions & my final stats at level 87. Only thing I missed was the 1 skill point in cold arrow as a prereq. Not worth a rewrite though. Maybe you could clean up that title for me. Tried to bold but it didn't work out.

This build is for all the Javazons out there who got sick of immunities. If you have access to a faith GMB, you can now punch through the entire game without any problems while maintaining that incredible lightening damage that we all love.

Some may be able to achieve a bit more light damage going pure but this gives a back up in strafe that can compete with pure bowazons.

13. Dacar92

Dacar92 Community, Amazon, DH Moderator & Inc Clan Officer

Can you add a gear guide for those who either don't have the runes for Faith or play single player? This would be like a 2nd tier gear setup. Maybe even add an ideal gear guide to use as you level up.

14. XZON

XZON IncGamers Member

Sure. I'll work on it over the next day or so.

15. Shlongor

Shlongor IncGamers Member

Bowazons havn't been a weak build since the bow bug. Don't know what game you're playing ;)

16. durianking

durianking IncGamers Member

Xzon . Thank you .

Have wanted and had a headache tryin' to read up how to build an Enjoyable character that could take care of himself/herself in NM ... maaybe even rush someone sometime ...

Gonna try this out tonight .
    Thanks a mil , XZON !^^

17. XZON

XZON IncGamers Member

She will more than take care of herself. Heck, you could rush people in hell with her. Play as pure light zon till hell. That's when the LI's start to pop up on a regular basis. This is when you be needing strafe/magic arrow periodically.

18. Euro-Crash

Euro-Crash IncGamers Member

XZON this is nice. You are right about the ability rush people. NM is a joke with both your guide and my own. Hell is even somewhat enjoyable. How are the rushes going with this style?

I am having good fun playing the opposite side of the coin. I recently added a BER rune to my Merc's Reaper's Toll....it absolutely rocks. If anything I would include a short section on mercenary selection as I feel a well-equipped mercenary is an integral part of a PvM build.

If you haven't tried a BER'd Reaper's Toll, I think you should.

19. XZON

XZON IncGamers Member

Thanks Crash. I haven't been playing it at all lately. Just hardcore now and very little at that. Overall, the Light tree is very strong compared to the bow side. Overall damage is definately way higher than anything that a bowazon can come up with. As a group killer, it's tough to beat a strong faith multi zon though. Anywhere there are no light immunes, my high damage LF with 38 bolts should clean things up even in large games very quickly. The bow side could use some help when LI's are around. Maybe for rushing, I would use a might merc for some extra punch. I am gonna make some adjustments for a lower end gear build. I am thinking a goldstrike arch bow as if shaeled, it would have 70% ias and only need 50 more for 9/2. Since it has decent damage and a hefty increase to AR, I think it could work. This version would definately require a decent merc so I would add that also. What this build really needs is a minimun of 9/2 strafe with a boost in AR from the bow to work correctly. I went over all the other bows and this seems to be the only one that fits the build. I will make a revision in a few days when I have it all figured out.

20. itsPizzarific

itsPizzarific Banned

eaglehorn could be used to replace faith i guess, it has itd and some nice damage as well.

nice guide btw. :wink2:

im thinking of starting a hybrid after reading yours and euro's guide, i think it will follow the lightning tree more like yours, but use multi like crash's

im also thinking of trying an a1 merc with faith, and using wf myself.

and finally, should i use fort or coh? my res will be terrible but i want nice damage as well. meh. i will probably use sanctuary as my shield though.