Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Aw [bleep] !!!!! (Tech help needed.)

Discussion in 'Diablo 2 Community Forum' started by Arokthis, Mar 19, 2005.

1. Arokthis

Arokthis IncGamers Member

Aw [bleep] !!!!! (Tech help needed.)

Problem 1: My hard drive decided to frag itself. I am in the process of getting files off it, but that requires going via DOS and takes f..o..r..e..v..e..r to do, especially when the files are huge. (The mpq's are the worst.)

Problem 2: I can't find my D2 base CD (I have the X disc in hand) or either of the CD-keys. This means I can't install anything on a different computer without help.

----------

Question 1: To speed up the transfer process, what can I just copy straight from the CD's so I don't have to move them via DOS?

Question 2: Will I be able to just insert the X CD and play if I manage to move all the files from all the folders and subfolders to a different hard-drive?

Question 3: If "Nope!" is the answer to #2, is there a way to get my CD-keys out of the files? (Same question/problem as this thread.)

2. Orphan

Orphan IncGamers Member

I must admit, I'm actually a little shocked at the amount of people who seem to lose their CD cases and CD-Keys.

You can most likely get D2Music.MPQ (called D2XMusic.MPQ, but you'll need to rename it once it's in the directory), and D2XTalk.mpq. I'm not sure about D2XVideo, as I think that is appended to the Video MPQ from the D2 Classic installation. Additionally, you might be able to copy off D2EXP.MPQ, because it's size is the same on the CD as it is in the installation directory (for me, anyway).

If you do plan on going down this route, I would probably stop copying what you think you need, and get your new harddrive ready. Try to copy files off the CD and try to see if you could get D2 working. If all else fails, you can access your old harddrive and get what you think it necessary then.

Unfortunatly, I don't believe so. When you install D2, it adds some values to the registry, such as the bnet gateways, and your video informatoin (most of them minor, the game would still look for for them).

The CD-Keys are in the files, but I do not know of a program to let someone find them. You could be able to find them yourself, but your in DOS mode, so you going to have abit of fun.

Alternatively, If you still have the manual, you can send it to Blizzard, but I think it would be easier to just buy another copy

Additionally, you can download TrenShadow's Version switcher , which comes with the DLL files of several versions of the game, which you could take a look at if you seriously want to do try and copy the files from one harddrive to another.

3. MrDoc

MrDoc IncGamers Member

I would change the HD immediately if it's faulty ... i mean, i don't like to use a problematic HD, they give A LOT of troubles.
    Too much wasted time for a piece of hardware that sometimes can't be salvaged.
    When it's a logical/software problem, then fine, try to fix it; but when it's a hardware thing, ouch, good luck :(

And yeah there's a way to recover your cdkey (cd key viewer or something like that), but i'm afraid i'm going to get the modstick for talking about it.

4. Arokthis

Arokthis IncGamers Member

Then send it to me in a PM. PLEASE!!!