Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Avoiding merc death :)

Discussion in 'Newcomer Forum' started by oOmpie, Nov 8, 2006.

1. oOmpie

oOmpie IncGamers Member

Avoiding merc death :)

Hi all,

my pretty unusual build has entered Act5 and the 80 lvl region and I am having some trouble keeping my mercy alive :badteeth:

Yesterday was an extremely lucky day and got me an Ist and a Mal rune, which about tenfolds the value on all my characters in one single day, haha :)
    This opened up some possibilities to keep my mercy alive some more, although nothing fancy yet. What would be the way to go for me?

My build is a support necro:
    Clay Golem for tanking purposes and the rest is all Amp and CE. all the curses and bone armor plus synergies are there to keep me alive and control crowds for my merc. (I still have about 25 unused skill points by the way :p)

I have abandoned this character for some time, since I found out that on normal and nightmare people are playing a lot of pubbies, but in hell all I can find are trading games. I recently went back to it because I wanted it to make it through hell and hopefully find some games in the future where I can help some melee-chars out when it comes to dealing damage :)
    Been playing 8players solo for all of hell.

My NM Act 2 merc is equipped with a rare wire fleece (about 900 def), an insight war scythe (have an insight colossus voulge, but he can't wear it yet :badteeth:) and Guillaume's Face. And he dies... rather quickly...
    As soon as 1 creature dies it is game over for pretty much all monsters on screen, but well... they don't always die quickly enough...

I have been trying to get Andy's Visage to be able to equip the CV Insight for some time, but the Crushing Blow would be sorely missed against bosses...
    Now with my recent luck I was kind of looking into some of the more powerful runewords and Chains Of Honor (+20 str) seems a pretty good solution for my problems, although it will require another HR.

Finally my questions:
    - Is this merc actually the right one for this character? The Might is not that great since he is alone and the lack of strength is holding him back big time... Are fo rinstance Act5 mercs better as monster killers?
    - Which runewords should I aim for on the merc? Fortitude seems nice, but I need the strength of Chains of Honor. OR another merc altogether...
    - Should I ditch the Insight CV and invest in an eth Insight CV? Or perhaps an Insight CA?

Any ideas???

Thanx in advance (also for your patience if you made it til the end of the text :p)!

2. LorveN

LorveN D3 Off Topic Moderator

It was long indeed! :tongue:

-To use might or not, well... Might means higher damage for your merc, making it easier for him to get the first kill, making you able to pop corpses.
    Not sure if you really need might though, since you also you amp, and the first monster should go down quick anyways. You could always try using a defiance merc so he gets higher defense, and hopefully lives longer.
    Those two auras are those I'd recommend. No matter what, do not pick Holyfreeze merc, since corpses that shatter can not be exploded.

-As for the armor... You can basically pick whatever keeps him alive. The main thing you will want on a merc to keep him alive is good def, good resists (mercs always get decent resists on their own), and a bunch of lifeleech.
    Sure, fortitude is nice, but CoH is safer with its huge res and even a tiny bit of lifeleech. If you use coh, you can skip lifeleech on your helm instead. Stone is another good armor, which gives huge resists and fhr, but it has no lifeleech. Good examples of helms are Andys visage (lifesteal, str, but -30%fireres to take care of), crown of thieves (lifesteal), and vampire gaze (lifesteal and %dr is always handy) Guillaumes face isn't really the best helm, so I'd start with switching it out for something with lifesteal, since that probably is the single greatest reason to why he dies.

-CV or CA, doesnt matter that much since you'll do most of the killing anyways, you only need him to get the reaction started. If you can get your hands on an eth CV, do the socketquest and remake the insight. 50% more damage for free is never wrong.
    However, the biggest issue should be keeping him alive and safe, CE is a killer!

Hope this helps at least a bit. I didn't manage to keep it short either :azn:

3. oOmpie

oOmpie IncGamers Member

Thanx! Will start looking into those options...

No need to keep it short ;) the more information I have the better, imho!

4. krischan

krischan Europe Trade Moderator

Your merc doesn't deal enough damage and he doesn't have any life leech. Get a Crown of Thieves or Tal's mask for leech and Griswold's armor with 3 IAS jewels and you will have a >900 def armor with +20 str and 45%IAS. He should be able to wear that CV then. When he's L83, get Andariel's Visage with Ral which adds even more str, as well as IAS and leech, so you can exchange the armor if necessary.

All these items can be bought for pgems, with Andariel's Visage being the most expensive one... perhaps 10 pgems if you aren't too picky. Try to get one with as much leech as possible.

5. oOmpie

oOmpie IncGamers Member

Hmm, people were trying to make me cough up at least Pul for an Andy's (nowhere near perfect stats)... gheh...

I'll start working on the griswold's and crown of thieves though and after that start working on a decent runeword armor. Thx!

6. krischan

krischan Europe Trade Moderator

Pul for a low Andy's is a little expensive IMO. Either find your own one or insist on getting one with 10%LL for that price.

7. oOmpie

oOmpie IncGamers Member

Thx for your tips!

8. Megafusion

Megafusion IncGamers Member

waht lvl 80 place u go to??? frigid highlands??

9. SirDooFuss

SirDooFuss IncGamers Member

Andy's is nice to have, but you'll see a big improvement with either a vamp gaze, tal's mask, crown of thieves or stealskull. Tals mask is definitely the cheapest of the group.

If you can do without the extra mana from Insight, you might consider an Obedience runeword. That one has some really nice mods including Str, Crushing Blow, 370% enhanced damage and enchants itself on top of all that. The runes are fairly cheap too.

On a side note, it's quite refreshing to see someone actually concerned about the health of their merc!:smiley:

10. hookserdoo

hookserdoo IncGamers Member

Others pretty well nailed the helms: Crown of Thieves, Steelskull, Vamp Gaze and Tal's Mask are all good options. A couple of as-yet un-mentioned armors include Duress and Duriel's Shell. Each would give your merc some added resists. Duress supplies nice crushing blow, OW and FHR among its mods, although it requires an UM. Duriel's Shell is great for the Cannot be Frozen mod ~ and since you are in Act 5 where all manner of baddies spew cold attacks, your merc will thank you.

11. johnomally

johnomally IncGamers Member

i just gotta add another merc armor to the list, lion heart, its rarely mentioned these days with newer runewords being far more powerful but i think its a good armor for mid lvl characs and mercs with a big life//res boost and some much needed str for ur merc. the only downside of this armor is its low def (no +% edef added) and afaik vitality doesnt effect mercs. even so lionheart is a very cheap and effective armor.