Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Avenger...with 2handed weapon?

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by atigdng, Apr 19, 2005.

1. atigdng

atigdng IncGamers Member

Avenger...with 2handed weapon?

I have always thought it would be cool to build an avenger and now I am about to start one. But I was thinking of going with a 2handed weapon. Why you say? because of the big + elemental dmg from vengence, and with not using a shield I would be able to max out the synergies.

But I need a little bit of help, I want to know what is an ideal weapon to use? I am not the most knowledgeable player so I was thinking that someone else may know.

Also where or how do I figure the dmg with a weapon and vengence with synergies etc. And does anyone else have an avenger with the 2handed setup? Or is t not a good idea? It looks cool to me just thought I'd give it a try.

2. Derrick1001

Derrick1001 IncGamers Member

I would think it would make things somewhat difficult in hell if you play solo alot. Getting mauled and all. I think your gear besides your weapon is probably very critical as well. You definately want to get max physical resist. Maybe a Freeze merc too? (Defiance merc probably wouldn't help much. Without a shield you're going to get hit.)

Obviously go for something as fast as possible. Veng is pretty slow.

3. NSXdreamer

NSXdreamer IncGamers Member

I have a GF on switch for my avenger, just for the hell of it. Damage is very nice, however lack any defence enhancing skill, you get hit a lot, so it's gonna be a problem if you SP with such a char.

4. Crazy Runner Guy

Crazy Runner Guy IncGamers Member

Step #1: Go to the pally forum and check out their FAQ. In there is a list of Zeal/Smite tables. Pull up the zeal tables, and look under the column of "normal attack without fanatacism." From there, pick how fast you want to swing, base weapon speed and IAS needed to hit your desired speed.
    #2: Go through your stashes, and look for high damaging 2h weapons (rares, uniques, magic, rune, etc.)
    #3: Of your list of candidates, check back to your IAS tables, and determine how fast you could take each weapon. Make your decision, select a new character, then paladin, and after naming him, twink to your heart's delight.

crg

5. atigdng

atigdng IncGamers Member

I was thinking of going the vit, str route and not adding any into dex. I do play solo in hell and have yet to even have a character that has used a shield in hell, but they were all barbarians ( IKconc and frenzy) so there defense is allot more than your average pally.

I guess I'd be curious what the damage difference would be
    RF 15
    RC 15
    RL 15
    V 20
    Conv 20
    Holy shield 5?
    something like that as opposed to?
    Conv 20
    Veng 20
    Rf 20
    RC20
    RL20

6. Radagast

Radagast IncGamers Member

Upped Ribcracker perhaps.

With a defiance merc and high defence gear, as well as the def mods on rib, you might be okay... sorta... *shrugs*

Cheers,
    Radagast

ps - i dig the idea :thumbsup:

7. Asmodeous

Asmodeous IncGamers Member

Immortal king orge maul.

It needs 85% ias to reach a speed of 12 frames, so you only need another 45% - easy. Next break point for 11 frames is 120% ias. Still very doable.

Combine in the gloves, boots and belt for the set bonus's

Adds 211-397 Fire Damage (2 items)
    Adds 7-477 Lightning Damage (3 Items)
    Adds 127-364 Cold Damage, 6 sec. Duration (Normal) (4 Items)

The extra elemental damage is very roughly equivilant to 100% elemental damage extra which is going to be extremely dangerous when combined with a maxxed vengeance, conviction and huge synergies.

For the rest of the items, I'd go with an iased vampire gaze which should fix all your leech needs and give you a total of 80% ias. For armor, either good old shaft stop upgraded, or a gloom armor to try and fix your resistances. gloom will give you good hit recovery. pad out your back pack with resistance charms and hire a might merc for some uber death and destruction!

That was my idea for a two handed avenger when I get around to making him!

8. atigdng

atigdng IncGamers Member

Thanks for all the help, I think I will go ahead and give it a try, I like the idea of using the IK maul too. I have that but may try something else, I'll definitly have some good leaches to combat the heavy mana and lack of life/ defense.

One other question, do you think it is better to max out conviction even with the dimenished returns? I was thinking leave it at 10 or so for a couple more points in salvation for syn.

"With a defiance merc and high defence gear, as well as the def mods on rib, you might be okay... sorta... *shrugs*"

nah I'll be going for OHKO type build so I'd be using a might merc.

...another question, for base weapon spead does that mean just the weapon it self without any of its mods or what? If I use IK maul would that be 10 speed or -30?

9. Asmodeous

Asmodeous IncGamers Member

I just did the damage calculations for the ik avenger.

assuming level 20 vengeance, 16 in each of the synergies and a total of +2 to skills and the base 225 strength to use the maul.

Total damage should be 6415 - 9589 including all physical, vengeance and weapon set bonus from four items.

it would be a lot more if the weapon was socketed with some extra enhanced damage. Even a modest 60% extra should see the max damage up around 11 kay.

For comparison, a perfect upgraded rib cracker would show 7209 - 10,284 total damage.
    But the rib cracker is a frame slower and one socket less but your free to choose any boots, belt and gloves.

Hmmm, tough call between them both really.

there is no diminishing returns with conviction. Level 25 is where it is ideal, -150% elemental resistances. A lot of monsters have a resistance of 50% in hell. You definitely max out conviction, first usually before vengeance due to the scaling mana cost of vengeance.

I dont know what you mean about weapon speed either. the ogre maul is a base 10 speed weapon which needs 80% ias to reach a 12 frame attack on a paladin. All of the paladin skills are not reliant on weapon speed like a barbs whirlwind.

10. Liliel

Liliel IncGamers Member

Famine Champion Sword would be nice if you could get it.