Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Avenger survivability problems

Discussion in 'Paladin' started by KJunk, Sep 8, 2006.

1. KJunk

KJunk IncGamers Member

Avenger survivability problems

I've recently taken my hardcore level 63 avenger for some nightmare baal runs and I've been surprised at just how many potions I'm having to chug. I've got max block, around 80 to the 3 main resists.. my defense is high enough that melee isn't too much of a problem. There just seems to be so little life leach (even with over 20% from items!), and my resists don't seem to cut it against the spell damage. On the plus side I do seem to liquidate most monsters in one or two swings.

I'm very hesitant to take him into hell difficulty in a few levels because of the survivability problems however. I was really expecting it to be the other way around... lots of survivability from being a paladin but with low damage :p

How do most Avengers cope with the potion habit, and does it get better or worse?

2. Bladewind

Bladewind IncGamers Member

Accept the fact that avengers have little life leech (they do looow physical damage). You will need draculs for lifetap to get back any decent amount of health. I recommend using an Ebotdz as a weapon or an Oath Eth Cryptic Sword (make sure its high ED u will need up to 500+ dmg).

The high physical damage u deal will let u kill even faster and high physical damage will help out in the leech department.

3. Bjam

Bjam IncGamers Member

Kjunk: With the right gear, an Avenger is nearly indestructable. You probably aren't doing enough physical damage for your 20% leech to help you. You should also have some DR% gear, because when you are attacked by groups, you will be getting hit as you pick them off one by one. A Vamp Gaze is a great helm for this build, so I'd recommend using one if you aren't already. You'll need to give a decent breakdown of your gear and your merc so that I can find out what's wrong. As Bladewind said, an ebotd weapon is highly recommended; it's just perfect for an Avenger. If you have a certain budget to work with I'll try to give your best "cost effective" options too.

[EDIT] If you are only level 63, you probably want to level up a bit anyhow. Melee builds really benefit from a few extra levels before entering Hell. I generally do NM Baal runs until at least level 70. You'll have more life, be able to equip better gear, and your merc's survivability will really improve. You might even get a lucky drop or two along the way.

4. Bladewind

Bladewind IncGamers Member

Remember one thing though, although Vengence deals X% elemental damage based off your main weapon's physical damage, it will not work with GRIEF.

Grief's hidden damage mod WILL NOT benefit the Avenger in any way (as in the +damage mod does not work for Vengence) so do not be tempted. By all accounts, Grief is an excellent weapon to use but not for an Avenger.

Life leech problems can be settled with a Lifetap wand or draculs. Since you have zeal as a prereq, do a few fast swings to get lifetap going (your conviction will reduce most monsters def to near nothing anyway) then go back to hitting with Vengence and yes, do use Vamp gaze.

5. KJunk

KJunk IncGamers Member

I guess that's where I'm running into problems then. This character is largely untwinked (by that I mean he has nothing very nice to look forward to, though I did give him some things to help him level). You guys are flinging around the best weapons in the game and I'm still stuck using an Aldur's Rhythm and Steelclash (with P diamond). Also using the sigons belt and boots, magnus skin gloves, goldskin bp, an all resists +1 all skills pally amulet. My rings add some more resists, life and life steal.

Is this a character build that mostly only works with great gear? Also keep in mind I'm playing HC.

6. Bjam

Bjam IncGamers Member

You can do an untwinked Avenger (no rune words with high runes), but you'll need pretty darn good untwinked gear. Avengers need good gear to be fun to play. They can be viable with less, but it will be a struggle. You can just use the whole Gris set or if you go piece by piece, start with the weapon, because you'll need lots of damage and IAS. Oath is in reach, and next best after an ebotd weapon, but if you can't get a Mal, then a Baranar's Star is a nice choice. It will have 70% IAS if Shael'd. You'll need even more IAS to make your attack rate as fast as possible. LoH gloves, Lavagouts, Magnus Skin, or rare/crafted gloves with 20% IAS will really help. You should get more IAS anywhere you can; Treachery (my pick) or the Griswold's with IAS jewels would be very good armors. I don't need to tell you how helpful a HoZ would be, but that's probably not going to drop for you any time soon. Jewelry, belt, and boots are less critical items, so do your best to fill any resist and leech gaps the best you can there.

An Avenger definitely wouldn't be my first pick to play untwinked (very item dependent), so I wish you the very best of luck. You can do it, but you'll need to boost your damage and attack speed.

7. BattleQueen

BattleQueen IncGamers Member

I'd swap that Magnus Skin gloves for Sigon's gauntlets if leech & IAS is still a problem. And btw, did you invest any pts in Sacrifice? You can't leech enough going pure elemental.