Latest Diablo 3 News
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Avenger Questions/Preferences

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by Grishnakh, Jun 18, 2015.

1. Grishnakh

Grishnakh Diabloii.Net Member

Making a Griswold's Avenger, running into a few questions and issues.

1) What are people's thoughts on running Fanaticism with Infinity on the merc vs. running Conviction with a bit more IAS?

2) Crushing blow (or how to get more of it) crafted gloves and gore riders seem like the only options.

3) How do they handle higher player settings in hell?

Not sure how I've played this long and never made one, really looking forward to it.

2. japanzaman

japanzaman Diabloii.Net Member

Definitely Fanaticism with an Infinity on the merc, as that will boost both you and the merc's killing speed. A lvl 12 conviction is sufficient in my opinion if paired with the fanatacism aura- enemy defense will be down by 82% so hitting things should be easy, plus you can always add quite a few facets to make the build more effective.

Getting some blood gloves with IAS, Gore's, and Highlords would be my choice. Maybe socket a Ber if you have one lying around into the weapon for more CB. Verdungo's seems like the only choice for the belt. You'll also need to consider getting some life leech from the gloves as well. If you can hit an acceptable breakpoint without the IAS on the gloves, it is much easier to find a leech CB pair.

Higher player settings in hell will be problematic, as this build is just not as fast as other builds. Vengeance is just not as fast of a killing build, particularly with this gear setup, as other options. I would think that using Zeal with a shock or frost aura would provide better results at higher player settings.

BBS_Agonistes likes this.
  3. mir

mir Diabloii.Net Member

1. It one of those builds that you have the option to use other mercs instead of act2 mercs. The build is less dependent on might or HF aura then other chars, of course with act2 merc you will have more power then with other combinations.

The answer is really depend on your play style, if you don’t care about the damage and speed then get conviction & IAS, if you do then get act2 merc with infinity.

2. I think War traveler boots would benefit you more then gores, I play without CB and my paladin still kill fast enough.

3. You can go up to P3 and still keep the same kill speed. Higher setting start to slow things down.

4. BBS_Agonistes

BBS_Agonistes Diabloii.Net Member

One other option is using A1 Merc with Faith for Fanaticism and then running Conviction yourself, thus making you hit a little harder. For an Avenger, Fanaticism will really only add attack speed; not so much damage for you, so depending on your IAS from gear, lvl 9 Fanaticism might work just as well as level 20+. That said, with the Infinity A2 / Fanaticism set up, your merc will be a ridiculous powerhouse, and an A1 Faith Merc will be pretty wimpy. So probably the Faith set up is worse, though it might make your character more damaging.

What are you going to put in your Gris's Redemption sockets?

Last edited: Jun 18, 2015
    pharphis likes this.
  5. BBS_Agonistes

BBS_Agonistes Diabloii.Net Member

One more idea: given the +skills of the Gris set, you could also do the Infinity set up, but instead of going full 20 pts in Fanaticism, just put minimal points in the aura (it will get +5 from the set IIRC) to get your attack speed where you need it, thus freeing you up to plunge a more points into the Vengeance synergies (res cold, fire, light...). You'll get a ton of damage, still have Conviction, and also get more of that nice little passive boosts to resists.

EDIT: Just checked: you only need 1-2 points in Fanat to reach max attack speed with Gris's set. Even with no other IAS gear, as long as you put at least one ED Jewel of Fervor or Shael in your Griswold's Redemption, one point in Fanaticism (=lvl 6 aura with set) will hit 8 fpa attack. Without any IAS Jewels or Shael's in Gris's Redemption you'll still only need 2 points in Fanaticism to reach 8 fpa.

Either way, putting just one or two points in Fanaticism should enable you to put 20 pts into RL, RC, RF synergies for some pretty serious damage! The only other bonuses for putting more points in Fanat would be AR (you won't need because of Infinity) and a minimal boost to your physical damage for more leech, but you could probably use a Might merc to get the same effect.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2015
  6. Grishnakh

Unsure what I will put in the caddy. Looking at 30+ Ed jewels and a shael. I have one 35 ed/15 ias but I am saving that for when I (dreaming) find an eth tomb reaver.

Edit: typed runes, meant jewels.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2015
  7. bodry

bodry Diabloii.Net Member

Ohm runes?

8. Grishnakh

one possibility. think I'm going with fanavenger, at least a 1 point with skills doing the rest.

9. Naturallog

Naturallog Diabloii.Net Member

I think I would go heavier into fanatacism than just enough to reach 8 FPA. While most of your damage is elemental, the physical component is needed for life/mana leech, and also fanatacism increases damage more per point than vengeance synergies. Resist cold/fire/light each give 10% elemental damage, salvation 6%. Fanatacism is 17% physical damage with some attack rating thrown in for good measure. Plus it buffs your merc.

I'd also pick up a might merc to hold your infinity, since the extra damage can't hurt. Holy freeze wouldn't be bad for a more defensive oriented build, but I don't think paladins need it with how easily they reach 75% block.