Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Avenger: need 2-h weapon suggestions

Discussion in 'Paladin' started by WrathTalon, Aug 31, 2006.

1. WrathTalon

WrathTalon IncGamers Member

Avenger: need 2-h weapon suggestions

Folks, I'm planning on making a 2-handed Avenger for running 8-player Chaos games. (I party mostly with Javazons, Trappers, and Sorcs.)

I intend to max Vengeance, the 3 Resist Aura synergies, and as much in Conviction as needed to bring it up to 25 after plus-skills are factored in.

My provisional gear choices are:
    Head: CoA
    Body: Enigma (hardly ideal:rolleyes: ; but since I run the games, and have to be fully mobile to keep up with the casters, I need the teleport, so I'm stuck with Enigma).
    Gloves: probably Dracs (though something with IAS might be an option if I find I don't need the extra leech to survive without a shield)
    Belt: Verdungo's
    Boots: probably Shadow Dancer (for the 30% FHR as well as FRW).
    Ammy: Mara
    Rings: dual BK
    plus Anni, Torch, six Resist All GCs, and assorted FHR and Vita charms.

If I've done the figures right, this will give me 50% PDR, maxed 85% Resists, and 90% FHR (just enough to hit the break-point for a 4-frame hit recovery), as well as 75% FRW (nice for when mana is burnt and I can't teleport).

Merc: an A1 Rogue merc using Ice bow for some (IM-proof) Holy Freeze and Frost Nova.

The nagging question: what 2-handed weapon should I use? If I were 1-handed, I'd probably go with an eBotDz. But going 2-handed offers such different options...

Should I use an eBotD Ogre Maul? (almost as much damage as a Thunder Maul, but lower str. reqs and slightly faster makes it preferable for me) Or some other eBotD?
    Or an Obedience thresher? (in which case I'd replace the Shadow Dancer with War Travs)
    Or Doom in some polearm?
    Or maybe even Destruction?

Any thoughts appreciated.

2. MayfieldDairy

MayfieldDairy IncGamers Member

one question what is all this 4-frame stuff liek 4-fram fhr and 4-fram zeal wat is that?

3. Bjam

Bjam IncGamers Member

You need IAS and lots of it. I'd go with a edotd GPA or if you are rich and lucky an Eth 3os Tomb Reaver with Zod and 2xShael or 2xIAS/DMG% jewels. Doom would be fun too, but Obediance and Destruction are too slow so I'd stay away. I think that an ebotd GPA is the most versatile...lower requirements, big boost to stats, realtively affordable, and the all important leeching (your setup is severely lacking LL and has no ML at all). You might even want to try using a Vamp Gaze in place of CoA if you are still having leech issues.

One other thing, where are you getting CBF? You may need to swap in a Ravenfrost.

MayfieldDairy : It's considered impolite to ask questions in someone elses thread; especially if you haven't at least offered some help in return. It's best to start your own thread or PM the author. There is lots of information on what you are asking, but to sum it up very quickly, frames refer to animation frames in the game and speeding up one's attack or blocking rate reduces the number frames used to graphically represent the action (it's a measure of speed).

4. Asmodeous

Asmodeous IncGamers Member

Grief Eth glorious axe. Built in 50% IAS and a high ed version should be punching out 370-870 roughly damage range. Too lazy to look up the IAS table atm, but from memory, you only need another 50 odd IAS for a decent attack speed. Low dex req means more Vitality too.

I'd suggest changing your set up thusly;

String instead of Verdungo's, raven frost/BKWB, War travs instead of shadow and some IAS gloves, crafted or something instead of Drac's.

If your worried about survival, chuck a reapers on your merc. Works for my level 87 two handed avenger and he baal runs.

5. soul killer

soul killer Banned

Why dont you get a Grief Zwiehander or Eth Oath?
    Both have good dmg and good speed.

6. yiuman

yiuman IncGamers Member

Unfortunately the +damage doesn't work with Vengance - only normal ED. Therefore I'd go with an eBOTD GPA or GT.

An eBOTDGT would hit 11 frames naturally and need extra 40IAS for a 10 frame attach and at eBOTDGPA would hit 12 frames naturally, need an extra 26IAS for an 11 frame attack and 78IAS for a 10 frame attack.

I'd suggest an eBOTDGT and get the extra 40IAS with the IK Gloves + Boots and/or Belt and a 15 IAS jewel in your helm. Or sigons gloves/boots and an upped goldwrap. A treachery dusk shroud would work except you want to have Enigma (a Naj's puzzler on switch or an amulet with charges could solve the teleport problem for you though....). If you really want to keep dracs as your gloves, you could get the required IAS from two IAS jewels in CoA and goldwrap.

I've always wanted to make a 2-handed Avenger, unfortunatly I've never had the equipment. Let me know how it goes!

7. Bjam

Bjam IncGamers Member

yiuman offers some sage advice. If you choose to use an eBOTDGT, another way to get 40IAS would be IAS jewels in CoA and Upped Bloodfists. The Bloodfists also give 40 life and 30% FHR, so you could use War Travs instead of Shadow Dancers, for stats, damage, and MF too.

Nos Coil is a better belt choice than Goldwrap IMO, because it gives much needed LL and +15 to strength, in addition to 10% IAS.

8. nex

nex IncGamers Member

I'm sure you meant Oath, not Grief. Oath has 50 IAS and +dmg from Grief doesn't work with Vengeance.

Asmo = nub (just kidding :wink3: )

9. yiuman

yiuman IncGamers Member

Thanks for the kind words. One thing to note, is that if you have an act1 merc with faith, the IAS you'll need is considerably smaller. For example, with a lvl 14 fanat from faith, any 0 speed or better BOTD would hit 10frames with no extra IAS needed. A 10 speed weapon would still only need 3IAS.

I was also thinking, you could go with an upped ribcracker.

Ribcracker
    zod
    etheral (cannot be repaired)
    Stalagmite
    2handed damage 480-707 (I hope I calculated the eth bonus properly)
    Base Weapon Speed: [0]
    300% Enhanced Damage
    Adds 30-65 Damage
    +50% Damage To Undead
    50% Chance Of Crushing Blow
    50% Increased Attack Speed
    50% Faster Hit Recovery
    +100% Enhanced Defense
    +100 Defense
    +15 To Dexterity
    Indestructable

(The above is a perfect upped eth example - I don't have one)

You'd need **%IAS to reach 10 frames or 36IAS to get 11 frames (or no IAS if you have a faith merc). If its non-eth you could shael or 40/15 it, but an eth-upped-zod-ribcracker would do alot more damage.

Plus a paladin using a staff has that cool original diablo:hellfire vibe.

10. niner

niner IncGamers Member

Why 2 handed? Would seem better to be a blocker/herder with a shield+ conviction. youre gonna get Imed alot and die constantly one would imagine. Also your gonna run out of mana constantly with the mana draining wraiths.

11. yiuman

yiuman IncGamers Member

Thats easy: 2handed=more damage. No points in holy shield means more in vengance synergies=even more damage.
    As to IM, Id think a low phys damage, high elemental damage setup on switch (eg gimmershred/barnars star/famine + tiamats rebuke/dream(would be even better with a dream helm as well)) would be just the job - if you use gimmers, you could even throw them for extra safety. That or stay out of Chaos Sanctury/WSK.

Thats what Insight mercs/blue pots are for!