Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Avenger Mercenary

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by cade88, Sep 19, 2006.

1. cade88

cade88 IncGamers Member

Avenger Mercenary

So i have been thinking about making an avenger lately in Single Player. Because of the versatility of all the elements and because he would be untwinked and like to kill everything. Now I was wondering what would be the best mercenary for him. Would it be an act 3 cold, fire, or ice, or something like a an act 2 holy freeze note I am going for the most damage and crowd control I can get so I will have a point in conversion for that purpose. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. Arreat_mercenary

Arreat_mercenary IncGamers Member

I'm not an avenger expert, but an act 3 merc will provide you with crowd control............ and not much more. Anc act 2 NM defensive merc will provide crowd control and equipped correctly can kill by itself even crowds of monsters.

IIRC, because of vengeance works, all physical damage gets a conversion to elements, so all damage sources will help, so even an act 2 might merc will prove very helpful, the problem is dealing with crowd control, which is why I think an act 2 freeze merc is a better option.

Also, I think that using conversion is extremely cheesy because of the bug, so I would rather avoid it, but if you want to use it, go for it

Edit: Also, vengeance is very mana intensive, so mana leech is pretty important, and even then mana pots are almost always a must to carry

3. cade88

cade88 IncGamers Member

What bug are you talking about? i have no knowledge of the bug

4. Arreat_mercenary

After the effect of conversion wears off, the monsters is left with only 1 hp left, regardless of what his HP was, so any attack will kill it

5. cade88

cade88 IncGamers Member

yea guess i wont use that then makes it to easy

6. Arreat_mercenary

Not really, not all monsters can be converted and those who can you actually need to exchange hits with it in order for the chance of conversion to be activated (you don't actually need to hit the monsters, just try to hit him), and the percentage of succesion of conversion is nothing high IMO, you may even kill the monsters before you convert him.

To stay in topic I would go for act 2 freeze merc as my top choice, and an act 2 might merc as my second option

7. Hp_Sauce

Hp_Sauce IncGamers Member

I like Prayer mercs, my vote goes for Act 2 Prayer merc. gg rooting for the underdog!

and because of this:

Why not a Prayer merc synergized with an Insight stick for extra fast healing and less need for mana leech?

-hps

8. Milb

Milb IncGamers Member

I didn't think this was true, I was under the impression that Vengeance's damage is calculated off your base damage, so Might, Fanaticism etc only increases your physical damage, not the elemental damage.

A might merc could be useful however just to help with leech, but I would recommend a HF merc.

Milb

Edit: Fixed typo which Hrus quoted! :wink3:

9. Hrus

Hrus IncGamers Member

And you are right. Also I wouldn't say that untwinked Avenger is easier than any other melee build - you need a very good weapon to deal a sufficient damage and the attack itself is slow (compared to zeal, Frenzy, WW, Fury) and interruptible.

10. RTB

RTB IncGamers Member

That bug was supposed to be fixed in 1.10 and worked for Mind Blast too.

11. cade88

cade88 IncGamers Member

I also forgot to mention that this is a hardcore character. yea it's a tough build but most any untwinked build is but it looks like alot of fun to play. And I didn't think it was as totally item dependent as other melee builds for the fact that it incorporates huge elemental damage in the build I am using as opposed to physical damage to kill baddies. As far as leaching goes for mana thats not to big a concern as I will just drink potions. For life leach though i'm sure i can find a suitable enough weapon to get me by for the acts that i'm in at the time and if not i can always make rejuvs. And if the conversion bug is fixed then I will surely use that skill as it will take the critters of my butt and is great for crowd control and i'll have a very good chance of hitting everything with a maxed conviction. Thats why i was thinking about the act 3 mercs. Trying not to use the same thing all of the time even though i know i probably will.

12. Llathias

Llathias Banned

The huge elemantal damage comes directly from the base physical dmg of your weapon, so it is in fact possibly more item dependant than even most other physical dmg builds.

For merc, you might consider a fire rogue. They deal decent dmg on their own, and coupled with your conviction, I assume they'd be a frightening force to recognize.

13. cade88

cade88 IncGamers Member

14. Eric Xanthu

Eric Xanthu IncGamers Member

I use a Holy Freeze mercenary to keep things off my back...last thing you want is to get swarmed by an extra-fast cursed pack. For mana troubles I switch to a cycle of zeal. As for damage...if you go pure self-found, you may have serious damage issues. Not insurmountable, but a definite challenge. Conviction is nice, but it's definitely not on par with sorcs or lightning amazons.

15. Llathias

Llathias Banned

I'm not exactly sure what I'm supposed to be sure about, but that +x% elemental dmg is the x% of your weapon dmg. That is why avengers need high dmg weapons, or why they socket +min/max jewels in their gear, or why some even consider going 2 handed using sick dmg ogre mauls.

16. Hrus

Hrus IncGamers Member

17. AndiDi

AndiDi IncGamers Member

In the TWD tourney I made an Avenger Guardian. He had a Holy Freeze Merc. That worked resonably well for me. He did some nice damage to all things not cold immune. He used Nord's Tenderizer which is an awesome weapon. Especially the freeze is really helpfull.

-Andi