Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Avenger & Medusa's Gaze

Discussion in 'Paladin' started by royalesse, Feb 20, 2004.

1. royalesse

royalesse IncGamers Member

Avenger & Medusa's Gaze

Has anyone tried Medusa's Gaze for an Avenger? I'd have to go rummaging for resists so I'm wondering if It's worth it?

Thnx

2. Loboleal

Loboleal IncGamers Member

Heavy shield type: Movement penalty
    219 str req: Huge str requeriment
    54% CTB: Decent blocking
    5-9% ll: An Avenger does little physical damage so doesn't leech too much
    +40-80% CR: Nice cold resist but lacks the others.

IMHO, isn't worth for any Paladin. And I say more: Every paladin should wear a Paladin Shield.
    Check all pally shields dropped in Hell dificulty. As soon as you got one with 35+ resist, socket it, put 4 perfect diamonds on it and all your resist problems will be solved.

3. royalesse

Hehe... I guess I wasn't being clear...

I noticed that on Medusa's Gaze there's a 10% chance a level 7 lower resist when struck:
    Lvl 7 lower resist: lowers resistance an additional 51%, duration 32 seconds, radius 8.6 yards.

I figured with Holy sheild maxed it's a decent sheild and that extra -51% enemy resist will help me take out crowds and bosses quicker. The downside is that with pally shields it's easy to get 100+ resist all on them (assuming sockets and such).

Before I try the extra strength investment I was wondering if anyone else tried it? I guess it might be a little over kill with maxed conviction and maybe I should try it on my SnowTrooper or on a Tesladin?

edit: O btw.... thnx for the reply Loboleal

4. alainpp66

alainpp66 IncGamers Member

I used it on my FC WB...

Sorry to say it's better in theory than in practice. The Str investment is just too much and it leaves your life too low... This means you can't tank as well and actually get the LR cast.

It Might be worthwhile if used with a different aura(as you said)... but definitely wouldn't be with conviction. Get a few more +Skills(For Conviction and Vengeance) and you'll make up for it and will survive much better.

5. Syphilis

Syphilis IncGamers Member

with a -150% resist all at Slvl 25 conviction, you really don't neet the LR thing.

BTW, 10% is low. it will trigger once every each 10 received blows.

6. royalesse

Hehe... I guess i was just getting greedy with the lower resists... Although I hear cold Immunes have insane resists so the Gaze would good there... but I guess I give up a lot for 20% of the sanctuary population.

Alainpp66... I appreciate the heads up with the Fire Claws. The lack of Holy shield really hampers the Gaze.

On the brightside I'll probably try it on my snow trooper since immunes tick me off. I have extra Hel runes and that will bring the str req down to 176. Then I also have a set of IK gloves and Belt which gives about 45 more strength. So I only have to worry about 131 str pts.

As far as the chance to cast it's pretty high for PvM. It should trigger at least once per mob. That shouldn't be too bad with Max block from Holy Shield. It's definitely not a good thing for PvP. If someone gets 10 pot shots at you you're pretty much dead.

I'll probably toy with it on an Avenger just for kicks and then move it to a Tesladin.... I'd like to use it on my snow trooper but I think -51% isn't enough to break cold immunes.

7. iceball_aarf

iceball_aarf IncGamers Member

Just wanted to note that the 10% includes those times when you do block the attack... so it will activate pretty often indeed...

8. Syphilis

Syphilis IncGamers Member

even if it triggers often, it is useless because you will barely gain some benefit from it.

it useless on an immunity as it gives you -10resist in the best situation.
    for other elements, in most cases, it gives you nothing as monsters yet have -100 resists.

9. Evanta

Evanta IncGamers Member

Think it might be much better for a tesladin/frostdin