Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Avenger Help

Discussion in 'Paladin' started by rhettmatic, Jan 31, 2004.

1. rhettmatic

rhettmatic IncGamers Member

Avenger Help

Well my Pally's level 34 and I'm becoming discouraged. Playing in games with lots of people I cant do scheisse for damage. Here are my stats if it helps

Str-**
    Dex-65
    Vit-98
    Ene-15

Skils
    1 Veng
    6 Holy Shield
    3 in Fire, Lightning, & Ice resist
    1 Redemption
    4 Conviction

With conviction (i have 5 in it with items) I'm only doing like 95-200 dmg and take all day to kill just one monster with multiple players. Also, this quickly drains my mana since I have no leech. So my question is, am I doin something wrong? Any tips would be appreciated.

2. rhettmatic

can anyone help?

3. DrSeuss

DrSeuss IncGamers Member

I'm lvl 37, and am still mostly using Zeal for damage, rather than Vengance.
    So far. I have used exclusively Vengance on some occasions, but mostly now it's for boss monsters, as opposed to packs.

You absolutely will need mana leech of some kind. You'll also need a bigger weapon, so that you actually get mana to leech. Also consider more points in the individual resists, rather than in Vengance, to passively increase your damage there, without having to spend more mana to do so.

4. Black_Hunter

Black_Hunter IncGamers Member

I posted earlier this week,i was lvl 3x in the same situation as you guys,using zeal as my main skill like you DrSeuss.

I am now lvl 76 and i can only tell you guys to continue and do no quit,you will eventually be strong. I can kill everything in Throne of Destruction and then baal in Hell by myself in a game alone. When I hell baal run with my friend who has a barb lvl 81 it is even more easy ( in a 2 player game).

I have 0% Mana leech,no meditation,no redemption,no point in energie and i have around 220 mana. I dont drink mana potion often,mostly the one that drops on the ground are enough,i dont have to buy any of them. Only time i have mana problem is when i run into mana draining monster. I only have 1 point in vengeance so it take 4 mana per hit.

I do 1500 avg dmg one handed,add conviction and that amount is doubled.

Having 85% resist all makes the avenger really strong and when you put your resist aura on,your party will have 95% resist in that resist and they will love it.

Being lvl 37 it is ok for you to be weak,if you are still weak at lvl 75 then you must have picked the wrong skill or be fighting with your hand.

5. Snarlin Stef

Snarlin Stef IncGamers Member

why not max vengeance... it only takes 8.7 mana per hit? but does more than twice dmg...

4 mana or 8.7 mana per hit... who cares when you are level 70+ ?

please advise
    stef

6. rhettmatic

Yeah, I'm thinking the same thing, shouldnt I max vengeance and go with around 10 in each resist or max the resists & put 1 (let items to the rest) in vengeance?

7. Black_Hunter

both way are viable,if you put only 1 point in vengeance youll have more spare point to boost the resist aura or holy shield.

8. Snarlin Stef

Snarlin Stef IncGamers Member

the reality is that unless you ahve 25k + defense... defense doesnt matter....

assume that top duellers have at least 10k AR with an ETH rune... OR have godly AR...

having under 10K defense is just same as having no defense.

having 25-10k defense is Ok"

having 25k+ is when defense really starts to matter.

so max holy shield? ehh... dunno if its really worth it... remember that when you run you have zero defe anyways.

having godly defense (25K+) is great but only when you arent running.... so basically you can walk around on the pvp field.... not too efficient if you ask me... i think that defense is great but still over rated.

please advise
    stef

9. Khrys

Khrys IncGamers Member

Gah dammit. I'm a lvl 68 avenger and I'm having horrible trouble leeching back enough mana. My Vengeance is lvl 24 and I'm using Nord's Tenderizer with 9% mana leech. I'm still doing Baal in nightmare and I'm starting to dread Hell with it's even greater leech penalty. Do I need like 15%+ mana leech to keep my globe full?

10. goldenfrog

goldenfrog IncGamers Member

My lvl 82 Avenger has 21% mana leech and that works great, on everything but Hell Baal. Can you leech from him? I dont appear to leech ANY mana from Baal. I have to switch to zeal to kill him. Does Conviction reduce Baals def? I cant hit him very well. My Vegeance damage is 28xx-72xx and kills everything(well everything but bosss and the odd super unique) in 1-3 hits depending on number of chars in game. I maxed conviction, 10 in each resist, 1 in Salvation, 3(so far) Holyshield, now in working on maxing Vengeance. 80/80/90/75 res in hell with +98 extra for that deadly lower res curse/conviction arura. With another pallys clvl 26 conviction on me I have -9/-9/58/75 res :)

11. Black_Hunter

Who told you i was talking about pvp ?

12. weirdbeard

weirdbeard IncGamers Member

but you shouldn't need the resist auras for anything but the synergy bonus, if you've got good enough gear (not uber by anymeans, just good enough). and putting points in vengeance is more effecient at boosting your damage (12% per 2 slvls compared with 10% per 3 skillpoints ( for 1 skill pt in each of the 3 resist auras)). It also gives you a 20% bonus to AR per pt, and increases the chill length, which points into resist cold does not do.
    my advice, max vengeance, get some better mana leech, like at least 15%, then work on the resist auras to boost the damage further

13. Vajar

Vajar IncGamers Member

You really need to utilize mana potions. I have 5% mana leech and I keep about 2 rows just for mana on my belt and never have problems with mana (keep your belt filled from monster drops). +mana per kill helps quite a bit too if you can find some on your equipment (try rare jewels).

If you learn to use mana potions, you can really get by with minimal mana leech on your avenger and practically no mana leech on any other melee characters.

So many people don't really realize how useful mana potions are, even for melee characters.

Also, a tip on Baal. If you use a teleport staff/amulet to teleport right on top of him, his mana burning attack won't hit you (like Diablo's lightning).

14. Fidor

Fidor IncGamers Member

Yeah... I use mana potions too. And no problem with mana.