Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Automated Phone Systems Suck!

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by giantpinkbunnyhead, Mar 30, 2004.

1. giantpinkbunnyhead

giantpinkbunnyhead IncGamers Member

Automated Phone Systems Suck!

Have you ever placed a phone call to some company, only to find yourself listening to some pre-recorded answering system that tries to help you but fails? I hate those things! When I call a place, lets say Alaska Airlines, I know exactly what it is I wish to ask. But can I just speak to a real person? NO!! Instead, I have to listen to this slow voice drone on and on about my six or seven options, none of which apply to me. So I sit there, wondering which option to select, when the message repeats. Or better yet, hangs up on me because I did not choose an option.

Or how about the ones which are obviously a computer voice, that asks you to "say" your request. Maybe I'm just insecure, but I don't like the idea of talking to an inanimate object, especially over the phone, that intends to understand what I want. "If you want to talk to accounting, say 'accounting'. " Yeah right. Can't I just push #1 or something? Do I really have to talk to a computer to get to a live person? Am I the only one who misses the days when a good old-fashioned human answered the phone?

either way, I find these automated systems insulting, helpless, and stupid. If a business is so burdened by having to offer basic customer service such as live people answering the phones, perhaps they should re-think their business strategy. Even when I try my best to let the automated phone system help me, I can never find the answer to my questions, and in the end I've wasted an hour pressing buttons on my phone and listening to an endless loop of synthetic human voice, while in the process, never finding that magic option that puts me through to a live person.

The system that put me over the edge, and encouraged me to write this, is the one I encountered tonight trying to contact somebody at Bank of America. The number was 1-800-432-1000. If you want to see what a super-duper-way-too-friendly computer voice sounds like, give it a call and follow a few of the prompts! It made me want to puke. Ugh!

2. Canadia142

Canadia142 Banned

Yeah I hate them, a lot.

3. DrunkPotHead

DrunkPotHead IncGamers Member

Threaten to sue! Or better yet, actually sue! It's the american way.

4. Loboleal

Loboleal IncGamers Member

I hate them too, but I have to work with them. :(
    I have to get a new job :rant:

5. masterazn

masterazn Banned

for this press1
    for that press2
    etc...and in the end, you find yourself back to the same set of numbers

6. zodiac66

zodiac66 IncGamers Member

I used to work for an international company and they refused to use an automated system. It turns customers off. I hate it when I have to enter my phone number or whatever account number the company needs only to be asked for it again by the human when I finally am able to speak with one.