Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Australian style tomatoes

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by buttershug, May 19, 2008.

1. buttershug

buttershug IncGamers Member

Australian style tomatoes

I thought I would try growing stuff on my balcony.
    I figure I have a south facing balcony so why not try some tomatoes.

So I go to Dollarama and buy some two for a dollar seeds packets and some soil. I also bought some seeds at Crappy Tire.

And I bought some other stuff to try. Some radishs, basil, thyme, peas, beans, lettuce, cuccumbers watermelon, and pumpkins. Ok ok so maybe I got carried away. And I also bought some cactus seeds which is an important step on the way to the Austrailian tomatoes.

I started the vegtables a couple of weeks ago but the cactus said to use sandy soil which I and Dollarama didn't have. No I don't plan on eating the cacti. The package also said "start early". I thought "Say what?". Start early, what does that mean? You would start them indoors and keep them indoors so you could start them anytime. I figure it means start when you are like 10 years old or something.

Anyways I do a search to find a gardening store near me and find one. I go to one and find a bag of soil for catus and succulents. I also buy an orchid which has nothing to do with the Austrailian tomatoes. There was also a hot clerk partially showing some smallish but succlent melons. Also nothing to do with the Austrailian tomatoes.

Whilst I was there I saw a kit for growing tomatoes upside down. I didn't even bother to ask how much it was.

I came home and googled "growing upside down tomatoes".

Then I cut up a pop bottle and put a cloth in it and cut a hole in that. I bent up some wire hangers to make a stand. I put a cut straw in it and put a tomato seedling into it.

Here is one link

http://www.gardenwiseonline.ca/gw/container-gardening/2007/05/01/grow-tomatoes-upside-down

Has anyone tried this before?
    I think I will try a few and maybe try some peas this way as well.

Maybe I should get in touch with Dutch and see if his Dave has balcony gardening tips. I wouldn't want anything falling off, the super is four floors below mine.

Or maybe Johnny will have some ideas.

2. Dondrei

Dondrei IncGamers Member

Re: Australian style tomatoes

Wow, tomatoes really will grow anywhere.

Now if you could just figure out a way to make them drop bear-proof... I suggest howitzers.

3. Sokar Rostau

Sokar Rostau IncGamers Member

WTF are Australian tomotoes? Is this like the Outback Steakhouse where it's called Australian but has nothing whatsoever to do with Australia?

4. Holysinner

Holysinner IncGamers Member

Heh, they're grown Australian style 'cause they grow down under. Or upside down. Whatever. I'm sure Butters has a better punchline, but I didn't want to leave you hanging. :laughing:

Last edited: May 19, 2008
  5. Dondrei

Dondrei IncGamers Member

Hey Sokar, even I got it.

6. BobCox2

BobCox2 IncGamers Member

Apparently you can get Australian Tomato seeds at Crappy Tire in the Center of Known Civilization
    Learn something new every day. Thanks Butters.