Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Austin City Limits

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Holysinner, May 11, 2008.

1. Holysinner

Holysinner IncGamers Member

Austin City Limits

Who else watches Austin City Limits on PBS?

It served as my first (or in some cases, first extended) exposure to a lot of artists that I now like – Neko Case, Arcade Fire, and Joan Osborne among others. This week they re-played a show with The Decemberists (heard of but didn’t really know) and Explosions in the Sky (never heard of) and I thoroughly enjoyed it, which is usually the case for me. Sure there are some bands and genres that don’t do it for me, but it’s usually worth checking out just to see.

Any particularly memorable appearances you can think of? For me it would be Ben Harper; Neko Case; and The Pixies reunion.

For those who aren’t familiar with ACL, here’s a list of all the bands that have appeared. It’s yet another product/aspect of which my adopted hometown is justifiably proud.

2. LonghornRob

LonghornRob IncGamers Member

Re: Austin City Limits

ACL Fest rocks. So does South by, though, and it correlates nicely with Spring Break.

The Decemberists are a damn fine band, I must say.

3. Widan

Widan IncGamers Member

Never heard of this show, but the Arcade Fire is one of my favorite bands. What do they air, live sets from concerts these bands play or something? That would be sweet, there's alot of awesome bands on that list.

4. LonghornRob

LonghornRob IncGamers Member

You should see the south by southwest lists. A thousand bands or so show up every year.

5. Widan

Widan IncGamers Member

Right on, so ACL is a music festival and this is footage from it? Checked out some of the Arcade Fire vids, pretty sweet. We never get any good festivals in the Northeast, the closest one to me is probably Bonnaroo in Tennessee which I will hopefully get to one summer.

Edit: Wow the Decemberists singer sounds almost exactly the same live as in the studio crazy (or maybe they just buffed it up for the vid :p) And man I need to watch this show, Arcade Fire and Decemberists both played sets which consisted of pretty much all my favorite songs of theirs.

6. Holysinner

Holysinner IncGamers Member

ACL Fest (started in 2002) is a recent spinoff of the ACL TV broadcast (started in 1971). I have to confess I've never made it to the festival (I'm so ashamed - getting old), though I've been to a lot of SXSW shows. The show is recorded on the UT campus, whereas the festival takes place at Zilker Park (though some sets have been broadcast as segments on the show).

@Widan - I think that if you go to PBS.org and put in your local info, it will show you the schedule that your local station airs ACL. Since I get the station that originated/records/sponsors it, they broadcast it several times throughout the week, it's probably different where you live.

@LHR - which year(s) did you go to the festival? I've got to go sometime, I'll regret it if I end up moving away without ever having been.

Last edited: May 11, 2008