Auras to use with Vengeance

Status
Not open for further replies.

CygnusRising

Diabloii.Net Member
Auras to use with Vengeance

Let me start this off with a little disclaimer: I DO NOT WANT TO MAKE A F***ING HAMMERDIN! I DON'T CARE ABOUT THEM! IF ALL YOU'RE HERE FOR IS TO SAY "LOL HAMMERDINS R SOOOO MUCH BETTER!!1111" LEAVE. LEAVE NOW.

[/cruisecontrol]

Alright, so I wanted to make a Vengeance paladin. My overall build is going to be going for massive damage, so my current skill setup is

Sacrifice - 1 pt
Zeal - 1 pt
Might - 1 pt
Vengeance - 20 pts
Resist Fire - 20 pts
Resist Cold - 20 pts
Resist Lightning - 20 pts
Fanticism OR Conviction - 20pts

Other prereqs for Fanticism (1 pt each): Blessed Aim, Concentration.
Other prereqs for Conviction (1 pt each): Holy Fire, Holy Freeze, Thorns, Sanctuary.

Now, the question becomes: Which aura to use. The obvious choices are Fanaticism and Conviction, but which one?

The real question is if Fanaticism buffs your damage before or after you use Vengeance. If it buffs before Vengeance, the damage output would be astronomically higher than if I had Conviction.
Example said:
100 base damage * 373% (level 20 Fanaticism) * Vengeance % (184%*3 + 200%*3) = Holy ****.
not to mention the IAS.

Now, the thing about Conviction is that it reduces all three of the resistances that Vengeance hits with, meaning -125% at level 20, and times 3, so at level 20, 375% more damage. Also considering that it breaks resists is nice, even though it only operates at 1/5th efficiency. However, because I'm hitting with three elements, resist break isn't quite as big a deal.

Help me out guys.

Ed from Russia

Diabloii.Net Member
Re: Auras to use with Vengeance

i never tried it, but I believe that 20 pt Vengeance is too mana-intensive to work. Better keep it at 1 pt, and possibly keep Zeal as a 2nd attack (for day-to-day monster slaying). Conviction is the best aura - it lowers defense and resists.

It's important to use good equipment for this, e.g. Doom and Dream.

(sorry not enough time to get detailed)

Nimbostratus

Diabloii.Net Member

Fanaticism will only enhance the physical portion of the attack. It would help with leeching and attack speed, but doesn't help elemental damage at all. And keep in mind that Conviction also lower enemy defense, so AR is a non-issue.

Sentarius

Diabloii.Net Member

It's fine to go to 20 pts in Vengeance, just don't do it until other skills and especially Conviction are already maxed. And yes, you will need a lot of mana leech, and you might also consider using Redemption as a mana battery.

mephiztophelez

Diabloii.Net Member

gogo conviction.

i'd also suggest a point or two in holy shield. smite can be handy at times.

paul leung

Diabloii.Net Member

Keep Veng At A Lower Lvl Than Max Level And Put Points Into Holy-fire/freeze/shock.that Way You Have A Slightly Lower Damage But You Solve The Mana Problem.or Use Insight Mecr.
Conviction Is Way Better Than Fana.

Rane-

Diabloii.Net Member

All off-weapon Enhanced Damage (ie fortitude, fanatisicm) is applied to the physical damage only after vengeance. Only (and all) +Min/Max damage aids the base number that Vengeance is concerned with. This is why things like a eBotD zerker, ebotd thunder maul, war travs, +max dmg jewels, +min dmg rings are all popular Avenger items.

Because of this Conviction obviously wins hands down, you simply get far more bang for your buck. You get more kdamage per attack, you hit basically guaranteed, and you don't attack too fast allowing you to keep mana up.

Status
Not open for further replies.