Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Auradin Boots Question

Discussion in 'Paladin' started by gibsonSG, Aug 28, 2006.

1. gibsonSG

gibsonSG IncGamers Member

Auradin Boots Question

If you recall my earlier thread, I have not actually yet made the dreamdin I'm planning out. I'm gathering all the gear before I actually do so, and I have a question or two about what boots would be best for an auradin. I was talking with a friend about whether or not to use gore riders or sandstrom treks. He basically said the 'treks were better because my damage was "mainly elemental." I don't see how, because it's not like any of those mods are adding drastically to my elemental damage or anything. The gore riders, on the other hand, help what would be a somewhat-lower-than-normal physical damage with all of those mods. I was trying to explain to him how with, crushing blow, for example, it's a factor that's independent of damage. In other words, I could be doing 1 damage per hit, but with crushing blow it's irrelevent because it takes away a % of a monsters hit-points, not a calculated amount of damage based upon your weapon/mods. So yeah...which is it - gore riders or treks? (I'm leaning towards gore riders, because I feel they will better support my physical damage other than giving me some extra strength/vitality/poison resist)

Thanks!

2. chien

chien IncGamers Member

One vote to Gore here :)

Chien

3. psych

psych IncGamers Member

Another vote for gores!

4. Veilside

Veilside IncGamers Member

Gores are definitely the better option.

5. TheBhoy

TheBhoy IncGamers Member

Here here for gores

6. TheBhoy

TheBhoy IncGamers Member

Here here for gores

7. niner

niner IncGamers Member

Gores if you boss hunting.

I prefer War Travs for the added dmg + the mf. If you are killing lot of monsters then good mf makes it worth it.

Treks if you need the poison res.

8. gibsonSG

Yeah, war travelers were my other option. But still; I was definately wondering what the guy I was talking to was smoking...I'd take the gore riders any day because those mods are just absolutely sick for physical damage. Also, I assume by "boss hunting" you mean "Ubers." Someone else told me that you need a "really expensive" smiter to handle the ubers, but after reading that 1 point smiter guide, it looks like it really doesn't take that much. My Auradin build will have the following, so I'm sure it'll be more than enough to take on the ubers (especially considering that Auradins have resists out the ***)...

20 Resist Lightning
    20 Conviction
    20 Holy Shield
    20 Zeal
    20 Sacrifice

So...hybrid zeal/smiter with holy shock from dual Dreams. Is there anywhere that calculates the type of damage this does with full synergies and conviction and whatnot? Everything I've read about the builds doesn't say anything about how much damage is actually done (though I'm assuming it's quite a bit...especially in the elemental range; hence the gore riders to help the less-strong physical damage).

9. chien

chien IncGamers Member

The damage done to monster will be different since monsters get different resist(immune) to light. It should be easy to calculate the damage against 0 resist monster,though.

A quick chekc with some skill calculator:
    for level 30 HS with max light resist:

Lightning Damage: 1-5671 to your attack
    Lightning Damage: 3-945 pulse damage

Chien

10. Veilside

IMO you should max the other HS synergy instead of sacrifice.

11. chien

chien IncGamers Member

I would say, it depends. Max salvation only give a bit more light damage (4% per level?). Lots ppl think it dosen't worth 20 pt.

Chien

12. Veilside

I use a stormlash on my char and have about 50% cb and ds so i prefer having more light damage than physical damage.

13. psych

psych IncGamers Member

The guy was using his boots for defensive modifiers, while gores are the offense boots. I prefer killing faster and getting some fhr on charms or so, but he chose different.

I also chose to max salvation to make optimal use of the dreams. I use a stormlash as well btw.

14. gibsonSG

...you get plenty of FHR in itself from the dual DREAMs (I think I have 50% total on mine; 24% and 26%). I don't think the bonus you get from salvation boosts the damage enough to warrant an extra 20 points there that could be better used to either diversify my move set, or add synergy to my physical damage. Salvation gives like 4% to holy shock damage, while sacrifice gives me 12% damage to physical damage per level. However, is it still worth just sinking one point into Salvation for a small bonus as well as the ability to help party members in desparate situations?

15. Veilside

Bear in mind though that you aren't using a physical damage enhancing aura that physical synergy won't add anywhere near as much damage as the lightning synergy due to your having a very high level conviction.

16. gibsonSG

...yeah, but if I can attain a Faith or Beast runeword for a mercenary, it helps quite a bit. Which leads to this: mercenary for an auradin? Some people say do the act one mercenary and give her a Faith, but could you not also so an act 2 or act 5 mercenary and give him a beast with fanatacism? I've never really played with an act one mercenary so I don't know how well she does. I'd assume she'd provide range support, as I'd be "tha tank" with my melee structured build...rather than me being the caster and having the mercenary tank (as is with my sorceress). And if I use the act one mercenary, which is better - cold or fire?

Thanks.

17. Veilside

Beast can only be made in axes and scepters so no mercenary can use it.
    Personally i very strongly dislike having to rely on mercs to have an effective char but that's just my own personal preference.

18. niner

niner IncGamers Member

Act1 Rogue cold merc with dragon,dream and faith great bow makes a very sexy tri-elemental merc with max res(80% on lightning),Fana aura,HF+HS auras,that casts hydras and re-animates.

I wrote a guide on this build here.
    http://forums.diabloii.net/showthread.php?t=414604

Theres some follow-ups in the thread with some stats and other details if you read it through.

19. psych

psych IncGamers Member

I use faith a1 merc (not sure cold or fire) and I recommend it. I swing at 5fpa without here and at 4 fpa with her around. So I don't depend on her, but she is a nice addition and can kill on her own.

20. chien

chien IncGamers Member

+1 to Faith Act1 merc :)

Chien