Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Auction Houses - No thank you.

Discussion in 'Diablo 3 General Discussion' started by commonhumans, Jun 28, 2009.

1. commonhumans

commonhumans IncGamers Member

Auction Houses - No thank you.

I've seen a lot of chat around the forums about people wanting auction houses.

WHY?

That tears at the core of what Diablo is. Trading within Diablo is love/hate relationship and you all know it. Adding in an auction house would take all of that away.

As annoying as it is, I love making a game saying what a need and hoping people show up that have SOMETHING that you can use, its like a giant shopping spree. On an auction house you take out all of the surprise because you have this item and then the only way you are going to trade it is if someone else has X gold or X item or X whatever. I mean i suppose you could set it up to where people could leave you offers and you can leave a wish list... but with person to person trading you can see multiple offers up front and then you get instant gratification.

And I mean where would this auction house go? Would it be in the chat lobby? Or in your first town? Last town? Hell mode only? It just doesn't fit to me. I just think that putting an auction house in will make trading to easy and then like in World of Warcraft now EVERY Joe Schmoe will be able to have the best gear with really having to work at it. I just don't want to lose what i think one of the best parts of D2 is... the trading. Its a way to see new things and meet new people.

If an auction house shows up in D3 its going to be a MAJOR turn off for me. I don't think it will stop me from playing but it will surely kill the replay value for me. I know it.

2. Risingred

Risingred IncGamers Member

Re: Auction Houses - No thank you.

For me, in FF Online and in WoW, I had the most fun in the auction house. Easily.

The auction house is a great tool to add value to gold, or whatever a set currency would be. It doesn't kill trading. Even in WoW, you'll see straight-up trades, even during dungeon runs and stuff.

It's intuitive. It doesn't require just sitting around doing nothing but waiting. You don't have to be at the computer to use it.

So every joe shmoe will have the best gear without having to work for it? Then how the heck are they getting "money" for it? Do they just get handed money to buy things in the auction house?

You most certainly do not get instant gratification using the trade system in D2. Quite the opposite, especially later in your character's life when you're looking for something specific. At an AH, you can just browse for it. If someone has it, and they aren't in lobby, you obviously won't get a reply from them. And then you may not have something they want anyway. We need a set currency. That's why HR are traded.

I don't know how they would do it. They actually don't seem to be too keen on the idea, if one of those blizzcast things from JW were any indication, but this is the highest on my list of wishes for D3. It's just plain fun. It's great for me, because I like playing a set market, taking advantage of good times to sell items, good times to buy them, finding that kind of pattern and making tons of money in the game. :D
    I suppose it could be in the lobby. I don't see why it would have to be in the game or why it would need a pre-requisite. You either have money or you don't, know what I mean?

Trading will never die, and an AH wouldn't kill it. I have yet to see any kind of remotely valid arguement against it, and you even admit that the trading in D2 was annoying.
    If an auction house doesn't show up in D3 it's going to be a turn-off for me, the opposite of you. However, it would definitely not stop me from playing and would not kill replay value.

I don't care if they make the weapons out of rainbows and sunshine and it takes place in candy land. I would still be slapping down money on a pre-order and waiting impatiently as I am now.

3. satheron

satheron IncGamers Member

Your description of the old trading system in diablo 2 seems kinda romanticized and it really is hiding the true nature of what, and how the trading system really was.

When I play today trading can be really bothersome, I have something that everyone tells me is worth 2 high runes. Whatever the value of a high rune is. I go to trade by making a game, and sitting in it for 2 hours waiting for someone to come.

99% of everyone that does enter leaves instantly upon an offer they don't like, they don't question it. They don't haggle like they have the freedom to..they just say "bye". *So and so has left the game diablo's minions become weaker.*

So something everyone tells me is worth 2 high runes I give up and trade for 1, because the biggest haggle return I get is "Not worth, bye." and if they even say that much its pretty amazing.

Then when I go to use high runes to buy the same item, people want 2..even upwards of 3. When I put in just one, the same offer that everyone else would only except when I was on the other side of the trade. I get the same *exit game* response.

Yes it is a fun system, if someone wants to trade x item for y item there should be an easy method to do it. There isn't any reason why a game whose core foundation is the items you can trade should have only ONE trading method.. Really the more methods blizzard provides us the better..

be it free trading like in d2....an auction house...player set up shops like in some online rpgs..

Unless of course your against a free market economy then I understand your desire to suppress trading.

4. paperkut

paperkut IncGamers Member

I know that when some people said they wanted an 'auction house' they were simply giving a name to an alternative game mode with no combat and increased number of players allowed to join. Especially now that the number of players per game is going to decrease, this would allow more person to person interaction rather than less.

5. Risingred

So, as the poster above described, you consider dropping out of a game without saying anything when you don't like an offer a "person to person interaction"?

As for precisely what I mean when I say auction house, I mean a system similar to this:

WoW: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v88/blackbard/ah-big.jpg

WHO: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v88/blackbard/warahkn1.jpg

We even had one in UO. Player-made. We wanted a system like this very badly, but we settled for having actual auctions:

[​IMG]

6. paperkut

paperkut IncGamers Member

You're right. They should have to write you a kind paragraph explaining why they don't want to accept your offer and then they can leave. haha, only kidding. I'm just saying more people in the game means more chances to haggle before the game fills up and your stuck with 5 annoying noobs asking for free stuff and a bot advertising some 'amazing' sale.

I like the WOW and WHO auction ideas a lot. I would love to see something like this in D3. It'd make life easier for sellers and buyers. As for the UO setting up shops....If they were included WITH the other type you mentioned it'd be ok. But I don't like the idea of having to go shop to shop looking for a specific item. I don't even like going to malls in real life. I've never played any of these games so if I'm misunderstanding how they work exactly I apologize.

7. Fox VII

Fox VII IncGamers Member

I would be in favor of any kind of automated trading system that allowed one to trade, while killing monsters or even being offline. I think "power traders" will be unhappy with an auction house, because having one will drive down their profits, but who cares! :whistling:

8. ThomasJ

ThomasJ IncGamers Member

Agreed. Defeats the purpose of a hacknslash rpg when you have an auction house. I can see maybe a person inventory store like Aion and FFXI has(which they call a bazaar) where you can sell itms from within your own inventory. I find it much more fun to find my own loot rather than have someone do it for me and buy it off an auction house.

9. Risingred

I think I remember how the bazaar functioned...it was basically an auction house that you could open up anywhere. That was nice. The interface for it could have been better, though.
    I don't see how you can differentiate this from an auction house. It is the same exact function.

So you first say that an auction house of some sort is okay but then you say it isn't.

It was different in UO. That kind of thing would not be transferrable to a non-MMO. In UO, you had player housing where you could buy plans for a house and plop it down somewhere in the gameworld and run vendors from the house if you wanted to. The world was persistent instead of instanced like D3 so it wouldn't work. I thought it was neat though, you'd have entire player-made cities based around PVP and trading.

So for those of you who don't want an AH in D3: What kind of improvements to the trading system would you suggest?

10. BigKevSexyMan

BigKevSexyMan IncGamers Member

Damn you ThomasJ. I was gonna suggest something like that......but I do have some add-ons to the bazaar idea.

First thing, instead of displaying items for X gold, just display this item for trade. That way you can still keep the offers interesting and "like a shopping spree."

Second, allow players to search through everyone's bazaar through a database. Even if they're not online and you want the "Daggar of Eternal Fire," you can message them that you want to trade for that item and present your own bazaar, and hope you have something s/he wants.

I'd much rather have a bazaar rather than an auction house. Bazaar is much truer to D2, but still makes way for the ease of access that an AH has.

11. noticks

noticks IncGamers Member

AH and item deliveries by "email" in game. Yeah! I want to play the game not waste my time haggling. (Not that much haggling occurs as mentioned before.)

12. BigKevSexyMan

BigKevSexyMan IncGamers Member

Well, you have to remember that duping has pretty much destroyed the real d2 market. Hopefully d3 won't have any duping bugs in it.

Does anyone remember how the market was in d2 before duping began?

13. Mav451

Mav451 IncGamers Member

While I agree, I can't really say it "destroyed" the D2 market. Blizz is fully aware of dupes, and yet they went right ahead and encouraged it with the ridiculous patch 1.10 runewords. Does anyone really believe that more than a handful of people would have these w/o duping? Why even entice users with the runewords in the first place?

I mean, not to get totally X-files here about conspiracy theories, but it is a strange game that Blizzard is playing here.

14. Kiroptus

Kiroptus IncGamers Member

Nah, all conspiracy teories about blizzard being in charge of the dupes sites to earn money from it never really made any sense unless blizzard is extremely kleptomaniac as the money generated by that act is really really small compared to what the resources that they have.

The 1.10 runewords and "SOJs sold to merchants" thing are just bad decisions applied to Diablo 2. Just like a lot of their decisions.

15. Telzen

Telzen IncGamers Member

+1 for having Auction Houses

16. WNxZerker

WNxZerker IncGamers Member

Auction houses, yes, and no.
    Trade houses yes.

someone comes up to the trade vendor and says, I want to put this up for trade, please show this to everyone who comes through here, and tell me what they would like to swap for it.

you hand over your item and anyone can look through the storehouse and see whats on offer, when they find something they like they offer an item or collection of items (like 40 pgems for your pul) and at the end of the viewing period you say yes or no to the trades offered to you.

it's just like the current trade games, "Show", "WuW?" "these for it?" "ok" except you don't have to wait around and you can ignore low offers without being rude, and can take the highest bid without having to track the bidder down (Afk bid games)

it's a blind auction for items, no gold involved and you had to work for the items your trading just like the one selling them.
    and best thing, you can still work your profit margins.

17. kavlor

kavlor IncGamers Member

The actual trade channels could be replaced with a billboard,you have a character(letter,number) limit and put up your trade and while ever your logged on it will stay there this would both replace the channel spamming and the making of games to attract a buyer.I think this would be more realistic than an auction house(Im pro auction house but I just dont see it happening).

18. Risingred

IIRC, pgems were the currency of choice.

19. Terenas

Terenas IncGamers Member

This. It is also true that D3 is not a MMORPG like WoW but quite honestly I think that having a good AH system could really be refreshing. To me, trading almost never was fun, even if I could pull off a very good trade (either the buyer had ISTs/HRs to burn or was in a hurry).
    I am generally happy with whatever method decreases the time I spend on the game not playing. AH is one (and as I stated in another thread, Blizzard knows how to implement an AH) - to be seen if other methods will suit the game better.

Back to lurk

20. sbn

sbn IncGamers Member

I never considered online trading to be anything but an aggravating experience. The worst experience was always the "WUG" reply when someone had an item you wanted. They are of course not actually asking you what you have, but more precisely what insane item(s) are you willing to offer for their worthless junk.

But, the absolute worst scenario is wasting time away waiting around, only to have someone come in to YOUR trade game to steal away a trade. After a while I realized there are people that will simply never make their own trade game, but rather rely on going in to another person's game to take away their buyer. I even made a game limiting for 4 people, and managed to get 4 schmucks in all trading the same item I was trying to trade.

If I never have to do another online trade, I will be happy as hell. In fact even here can be aggravating when someone lists items with no idea what they want in return. I know many seem to think this is exactly what this game should be, but is it really? I thought the ability to trade items was merely a sub-feature of the game. I thought the point of this was a hack-n-slash your way to Hell game where you pick up items along the way to use. Anything that will take me away from dealing with idiot online trades is a certain +1 for me.