Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Attention Knife and Sword Collectors

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by AeroJonesy, Mar 21, 2004.

1. AeroJonesy

AeroJonesy IncGamers Member

Attention Knife and Sword Collectors

Alright, I know that some of you out there are knife and sword collectors, or at least know what makes some good ones.

I'm looking to buy some decent throwing knives (to actually use, not for display) as well as a sword at some point soon. What kinds of things should I be looking for? And where are good places to look (online, catalog, etc)?

2. Anakha1

Anakha1 Banned

People actually use throwing knives nowadays? For what?

Can't beat my trusty K-bar.

3. cyclotronic

cyclotronic IncGamers Member

Hunting but no need to buy more bullets everytime!

4. AeroJonesy

Entertainment. Rather like target shooting. :grrr:

5. Jigga-Scrooge

Jigga-Scrooge IncGamers Member

kill a bear.

6. maccool

maccool IncGamers Member

You want knives? Go German. Wustoff is a good start.

As for throwing knives, ask the local carny :lol:

7. SomeCanadianGuy

SomeCanadianGuy IncGamers Member

Well, I can't tell you much about knives and swords and whatever that actually serve a purpose... But when it comes to knives, daggers and swords for their looks, I know a few things to watch out for.

When you're looking at a blade, hold it vertically in front of your eyes and follow the blade along the length. The point of that is to check to be sure that there isn't any visible crookedness to the blade itself. Any slight dent could be a sign of weakness in the blade and you don't really want it snapping while your using it.

Grasp your sharp pointy object by the hilt, point it so that it's set up as if you were to slice downwards, and then jiggly it sideways from right to left and back a few times.This will allow you to check to see if the blade and hilt are solidly joined. Another you don't want is trying to pull your knife out of a tree and having the blade stay stuck in the bark and the hilt in your hand...

Uhm... As for prettiness, that really depends on your own personal taste. Personally, I like curving blades. Not the dull, straight edge, but rather the twisting designs that some artists put into them. Like this. And then there's the hilt. You might not think it's very important, but it is. When you grasp your dagger or whatever, the hilt has to feel comfortable in your hand. Not too long, nor too short. It can't be cluttered up with too much ornamentative crap (according to moi, that is). But like I said, personal choice. What you find pretty won't necessarily be what I find pretty in a knife.

One last word of advice: don't go to the fancy medieval shops and such to get your ornamentative daggers or swords. Try the local flea markets. You can often get the exact same thing that you would in the shops for like 25-40 bucks less if you look well enough.

Happy hunting! :howdy:

8. AeroJonesy

Thanks SCG. There's a flea market semi-near my house. I wonder if I could get my mother to go with me. That'd be fun.

Anyway, I'm looking for both some ornamental fantasy-ish type blades I can hang up on my wall and eventually a functional battle ready longsword. Not those ones made out of stainless steel, something made out of spring steel or something. And some fantasy-eque daggers would be cool too, but I'm not exactly swimming in the money here.

9. bigD72

bigD72 IncGamers Member

Wear proper eye protection.
    Or...
    You'll put your eye out!

10. SomeCanadianGuy

Well, neither am I. Work your way up. The smaller fantasyish daggers are the cheaper ones. Swords are more expensive. And if you want something that you can actually use to cleave someone in half, well you're looking at a good few hundred dollars at the very least, if you're lucky. My fancy fantasy daggers cost me around 25-30$ CAD each, except for the one my girlfriend bought me at a shope. That one was something like 80$CAD+tax... Slight difference, if you ask me. Be sure to shop around and pay attention to the quality of the blades and such. If it doesn't feel right in your hand, chances are it isn't properly set or something like that. A good functional dagger should be balanced enough so that you can place the hilt on your palm with the blade hanging in the void and it won't fall off outwards.

11. MagiusTheGrey

MagiusTheGrey IncGamers Member

If you want decent throwing knives, I would look for a designer by the name of Gil Hibben. Last time i saw his knives in a catalogue was in the Great Smoky Mountain Knifeworks catalogue. There should be a website for them, im just too lazy to look it up for you. He makes some pretty decently balanced knives. As far as swords, i personally have no idea.

12. SomeCanadianGuy

Hibben makes some pretty decent stuff. The only problem is that they're designer knives, so you're gonna have to pay an arm and a leg for one, normally. You can possibly find them cheaper if you're lucky enough.

Oh, Aero, try ebay too. If you're not too scared about buying something long, sharp and pointy off the internet, they might be able to get you some cheap stuff. Just have to be extremely careful and read the fine-print closely. Personally, I'd rather be able to see a blade in my hands before I buy it.

13. AeroJonesy

Yeah, I've looked a lot on ebay, actually. It's all different people peddling the same crap. I got some pretty decent looking black throwing knives from there for cheap, but they are more show than function. Oh, they'd work, but if I actually threw them, I'd probably chip off the black paint.

14. SaroDarksbane

SaroDarksbane IncGamers Site Pal

Cold Steel for all your sharp pointy needs. I got my two-handed sword there (They don't have the one I got anymore. It looks kind of like the greatsword they sell now, except shorter and with a sheath). Excellently made. They also sell a video (which they gave me for free when I bought my sword) that shows how tough their products really are. Top of the line for a reasonable price; I'd recommend them any day.

15. AeroJonesy

Saro, those cold steel knives and swords look really sweet. Too bad they're slightly expensive. But man, this knife looks incredibly awesome! :thumbsup:

edit: So is the Peace Keeper II, although it's a factory second.

http://www.coldsteel.com/seconds.html