ATMA stash error! Please can anyone help me? :(

Lauren27

Diabloii.Net Member
Hey guys, so I've been using ATMA V and I'm now getting an error when I try to open my .d2x stash file. it says bad file size (0) unable to load stash file. I have all my gems runes set and unique items stored in it. Does anyone know how to recover this stash? I tried to contact the atma @Hotmail but the email I sent came back unable to send bc it was an unknown user name.. I'm dying here. Really hope there's someone out there that can help me! Thanks!

Lauren27

Diabloii.Net Member
I haven't tried that since it's a stash I created within atma would it even transfer to gomule? I'm giving it shot though for sure. thank you!

Shask

Diabloii.Net Member
Hi Lauren27. If you need to recover any items you may have lost in your ATMA stash due to file corruption, you should be able to find backups of the stash file at C:\Users\(Your User Name)\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\(ATMA's installation location).

Lauren27

Diabloii.Net Member
I didn't have auto backup on :( would that make a difference? I'm thinking if it's because there are too many items couldn't I somehow delete a few so it's not overloaded and would open? I just don't know how to view the items within the stash from the computer end or how to delete them... arggg!!!

pharphis

Diabloii.Net Site Pal
I doubt it's from too many items but without ANY backups you're likely screwed. I'd make a copy of the file anyway just in case you mess it up further, and then try to open it in gomule. They will open in gomule fine unless it's a much older version of the game

Lauren27

Diabloii.Net Member
I doubt it's from too many items but without ANY backups you're likely screwed. I'd make a copy of the file anyway just in case you mess it up further, and then try to open it in gomule. They will open in gomule fine unless it's a much older version of the game
Thankyou! I'm trying to open it in go mule but my computer had gone insane and is not responding!!! omgoshh

Shask

Diabloii.Net Member
Auto-backup doesn't prevent file corruption from happening but is a good way to restore what you had in the event of ATMA corrupting a stash.

As far as I know, the whole stash file gets irreparably corrupted by ATMA. I don't believe it can be fixed.

Perhaps someone else knows something that can get your items back, but I don't think that's likely. I'm sorry to say this but it seems you've lost your items.

If you're playing Diablo II version 1.10 or greater, I highly recommend you use GoMule instead, which is not only far easier to use than ATMA, it also won't corrupt your stashes. If you're playing in an earlier Diablo II version and have to use ATMA (and I pity you if you do), then make sure to have the auto-backup selection enabled, with the number of backups allowed set to 20.

Lauren27

Diabloii.Net Member
I'm using 1.13 and just had to restart the computer lol. I just wish there was some way to delete all the items I aquired the day it crashed maybe then it would open back up. What gets me is I'm not even online so how could I have picked up something corrupted???

Shask

Diabloii.Net Member
Did you recently get an essence off an act boss and put it in the stash?

I haven't used ATMA with a version of D2 that has essences, but I've read that can cause problems because ATMA's development preceded the existence of essences.

pharphis

Diabloii.Net Site Pal
I was never able to even open a character in ATMA that had an essence, so that seems unlikely (though there is a fix for this, I never got it to work and moved to gomule instead)

Shask

Diabloii.Net Member
I am curious to see if trying to open it in GoMule could do something positive. When I had ATMA corruptions, it was with v1.07 stashes, which don't seem to open in GoMule even if they aren't corrupted.

If you didn't manually set the file to save somewhere other than ATMA's installation location, I think you should be able to find it at:

C:\Users\(Your User Name)\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\(ATMA's installation location).

(To see the AppData folder you'll need to activate "Show hidden files, folders...".)

Another thing: You can search for the exact name of your file in the search bar (I think Win10 still has that? if you have it) and it should show your stash.d2x in the results. If you see, you can right-click it and go to its folder location.

Last edited: