Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Atma, GoMule, Win8.1 and v1.13d disagree

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by Avallach, Oct 30, 2015.

1. Avallach

Avallach IncGamers Member

Hi all, after many years away, I felt like playing D2 again and downloaded it from Bliz. It comes with 1.13d now. Installed Atma for v1.13c since that is all I see available. It seems the two don't like each other. Atma loads a char the first time and lets me move items into a stash but upon closing I get an error that it failed to create a backup. According to Atma, the item is in an external stash and removed from the char but when I load up D2, the item is still on the char. After a S&E and reopening in Atma, the char file is out of sync with the D2 save. Atma thinks the item is not in the inventory and gets stuck on this save.

So I tried GoMule for the first time. I can move items into an external stash but saving again causes a failed back up. This time it says it can't create the GoMule backup folder in the D2 save folder. So I created that manually and that stopped the error but now nothing happens after moving an item out. Reopening the char in GoMule or D2 still has the item in its original place.

With both of these, I'm unable to move any item from the stash to the char. So I figured it might be due to 1.13d and tried downgrading to 1.13c through various google searches. Unfortunately none of these seems to work and the downgrade never actually happens.

Everything has been reinstalled multiple times. Tried running in admin mode and making sure I was in compatibility mode with Win7.

Does anyone have any tips that might get these to work together? I haven't done the Win10 upgrade yet, seems my SSD's aren't updating their drivers but if that is a suggestion, I may go about the upgrade. I'd rather not though, everything else works and I hate messing with the environment as a whole, usually takes awhile to get back to working status.

2. logoutzero

logoutzero IncGamers Member

Sounds like you need to move your save files out of the "Digital Store" folder.

3. kestegs

kestegs D3 Monk Moderator

Generally you run as compatibility with Windows xp service pack 3, although maybe it's 2. (I'm running as 3)

Gomule should work fine with 1.13d just as it is, I wouldn't expect that's the problem.

Where do you have Diablo installed?

4. felixbavaria

felixbavaria IncGamers Member

This is most likely due to Diablo II being installed in the programs folder, which is somehow write-protected in Windows 7 and above, and most (older) programs can't handle it properly. I've installed it in C:\Users\Felix\Diablo II and it works perfectly (Windows 8.1). You probably also want compatibility mode with Windows XP, as kestegs said, since that's the Windows that D2 was developed for.

thefranklin and BlizzBallerSorc like this.
  5. Avallach

I reinstalled to my C:\Users\me folder and the game runs. Moved my old save files to that save folder but they did not show up in the char screen so I made a new one. Played for a bit and exited. Loaded up Atma but it couldn't see the char. So I reinstalled Atma from Program Files to my User folder and tried again. Still no char. Remember the compatibility mode issue so I restarted D2 in Win XP SP2 but the char I had just made was gone so I made a new one. This one is sticking around in the char screen but there is no save file to be found. The save folder is empty. I think a gloam got into my machine and said nope, no D2 for you.

6. kestegs

kestegs D3 Monk Moderator

Probably is stored in user data or something like that. Run a system search for the new character you made and see where it is.

I always install straight to the C: drive, and not under a user, as that seems to sometimes complicate things.

7. Avallach

I found them living in deep in AppData. Atma is behaving with them now too! Thank you so much for all the help guys!

kestegs likes this.
  8. kanonfutter

kanonfutter IncGamers Member

You can point to your save directory in the system registry in HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Blizzard Entertainment\Diablo II. Mine points to dropbox, which it has done for the last two a three rigs I've owned.

/creeps back under a rock

9. thefranklin

thefranklin IncGamers Member

Nice one working with dropbox! I didn't know you could change the save location that easily. I was disappointed when windows live mesh stopped working where I could sync specific folders across different computers.