Latest Diablo 3 News
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

At what point did the meaning of "GG" change? if

Discussion in 'Diablo 2 Community Forum' started by jread, Aug 27, 2010.

1. jread

jread Diabloii.Net Member

At what point did the meaning of "GG" change?

I know I am old and out of the loop, but last time I played D2 ('05 sometime) people weren't using this term except in duels to say "good game". However, sometime within the past 5-years this has become used for EVERYTHING, and as an adjective no less.... "GG sword, GG Baal Run, GG dueler, etc." Why in the hell does everyone say that now? And does it actually still mean "Good Game", because if so then that makes absolutely no sense whatsoever.

It's getting to be on the same level of annoyance as classics like, "WUG".

2. crawlingdeadman

crawlingdeadman Diabloii.Net Member

Re: At what point did the meaning of "GG" change?

GG thread.

3. ffejrxx

ffejrxx Diabloii.Net Member

gg cdm

in every other game, gg = good game
    in d2 gg = im retarded and do not know how to type anything else
    fyi, its been like that for over 5 years

4. michaeljay

michaeljay Diabloii.Net Member

The acronym's etymology is solid proof that people are lemmings and do not understand what they are even saying. GG usually does mean good game, and then for some reason, perhaps laziness, it began to mean Godly Gear. And now it's used as a preface to anything that is good. I don't think it means good game anymore in the D2 climate; I've not seen it used that way in a long time.

It's like other popular catchphrases, such as "for all intensive purposes." Of course that phrase makes no sense, and it's used just because people misheard the original phrase, and then this whole misunderstanding snowballs so you get to the point where everyone's saying it because they know it applies to a particular point in their conversation, even though they don't know what the literal words mean.

5. jread

I see.... how depressing.

The level of idiocy seen in D2 is quite stunning. I thought it was bad 10-years ago when I first started playing, but it seems to be even worse now. I used to refuse to trade with anyone who said, "WUG" in the trade window.

6. michaeljay

michaeljay Diabloii.Net Member

You'd think that, over time, the mean age of a D2 player would rise, and therefore you'd see less of the WUG GG lingo. You grow out of it. Presumably.

Maybe D2's a gateway drug, the game that parents buy for their middle-schoolers in the bargain bin. Maybe?

7. IncubatorJones

IncubatorJones Diabloii.Net Member

I like the idiots in bnet. They amuse me

8. Laarz

Laarz Diabloii.Net Member

I say let the lemmings rush their way to the cliff,i will forever fight my way against the tide by typing full words instead of abbreviating them:alright:

9. Noodle

Noodle Moderator

I always live by the maxim, "Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice."

10. Leopold Stotch

Leopold Stotch Diabloii.Net Member

i've always known it as "good game" because of spending time with you guys and Mara. what else would it be used for?

and forgive me, but what is "WUG" ? i don't play D2, so... can someone fill me in please? :(

11. jread

I means, "What you got?" It has been spammed by idiots in D2 trade games for as long as I can remember.

12. Leopold Stotch

okay. thanks. :)

13. Gwenzors

Gwenzors Diabloii.Net Member

Wait, GG means "Godly Gear"? Here I thought it meant "Gosu Godly" (which is equally ludicrous) or is that from another game?

14. Leopold Stotch

hahaha, that's what we are talking about! :) we thought it meant "good game" but apparently it also means "Godly Gear" and now "Gosu Godly". i've used it as "good game" when talking to other ppl about their gaming and stuff. example:

Friend: Aw, i totally kicked Nazi zombie arse! It was awesome!
    Me: gg!

something to that extent. or simply playing a game with someone and they beat me, "gg."

15. Greizer

Greizer Diabloii.Net Member

Why is a cat called a cat, and not a mnyrghumzzzz? The reason is historical, and arbitrary. Words gain their (de facto) legitimacy by convention and nothing else; any utterance can be made to mean anything, if enough people want to make it so (and 'infect' the rest by force of practicality/'peer pressure').

So, gg means roughly... "Better than godly"; "godly godly", perhaps. See? Makes perfect sense! Even the gods consider it godly! :jig: According to Greek legend at least, the gods have their own gods, and those may have theirs, and so on... So from now on (when I start to play again in D3), my gear will be "ggg", which means ofc "godly godly godly"! Although it goes against established Diablo tradition to have acronyms that are longer than two letters... Takes so many frames to type the damn things! Oh well, gotta run along now, before I catch the D2 fever again. *casts Burst of Speed* *flashes Vigor on* *gives Merc Faith bow* *puts Charge on left click* Seeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee you in D threeeeeeeeeeeee............................ :jig::jig::jig::jig::jig::jig::jig::spam::spam::spam::spam::spam:

16. droid

droid Diabloii.Net Member

For what its worth, I still use and see other people use GG for "good game", you just have to judge from context. If you just finished a good Baal run, everyone will pretty much understand when you say "gg all" that you're not complimenting everyone's gear...

And, not to defend the overuse of the other meaning of GG by idiots, but at least in D2 you do have the problem of very short game names, so if you're trying to advertise an item in a FT game, every character counts...you might not be able to fit "godly rare circlet4HR" where you could fit "gg rare circlet4HR"

17. Killafornia

Killafornia Diabloii.Net Member

Don't listen to these other people. GG still means good game. When someone says I've got a GG hdin it means that their hdin is so good you'll be forced to GG. Which in competitive terms good game means you are going to surrender because your defeat is inevitable. If you want an example of this just watch any competitive game that gets casted over youtube like Starcraft 1 or 2.

18. BobCox2

BobCox2 Diabloii.Net Member

I still think it means Good Game

19. Crimsonharvest

Crimsonharvest Diabloii.Net Member

I don't know, but what if you can't fit "godly" in the room title, I guess gg would work. Oh, and I hate it when I say Hi and the other guy says wug. :bored:

20. Greizer

Greizer Diabloii.Net Member

It means "good game" too, of course. Words can mean many things at the same time, e.g. AP = Armor Piercing AND Action Points. It can be confusing at times, sure, but mostly not since you can deduce the meaning based on context. I'm sure that when someone says they have a gg CoA they don't mean that their gear is sentient and telepathically helps their dueling... Although if they do, I guess you better run for it! :scratchchin: