Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

At home/online secondary schooling

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Shaigon, Apr 20, 2008.

1. Shaigon

Shaigon IncGamers Member

At home/online secondary schooling

By secondary school I'm talking post high school of course.

Is a diploma/certificate from a school that offers this worthless in the real world?

I'm talking about receiving your work via mail/taking your tests and exams online, etc. You do all the work from home and receive your marks via the student website.

I'm basically just wondering if a diploma/certificate from such a school would be recognized in todays work force.

2. krischan

krischan Europe Trade Moderator

Re: At home/online secondary schooling

I doubt it because you could let somebody else do it for you. IMO it needs at least your physical presence and a proof of your identity when doing tests or exams. Also, you need it to be done by a respected institution, else it would be similar to e.g. buying a doctor title from a corrupt official of a dubious country.

But perhaps there is a way of ensuring that over the internet, who knows...

3. Carino

Carino IncGamers Member

A lot of time with online courses when it comes to exam time you have to go to a specified exam center and show identification. With essay's and what not it doesn't matter, just like regular university.

4. AeroJonesy

AeroJonesy IncGamers Member

I don't think it's worthless, but there's definitely a stigma attached to online degrees that they aren't "real".

5. {KOW}Spazed

{KOW}Spazed Banned

I have to agree with AJ, I go to a lot of job fairs at my school and one of the things the companies always talk about is how my school is accelerated, but not 'fake' like online degrees. Accreditation is important, but being able to prove that it was you who did all the work honestly(IE, not having someone else do it or using notes/books on tests) goes a long way.

6. BobCox

BobCox IncGamers Member

On-line coursework is only as good as the certificates it gets you, some can be OK but you can't get the whole Education that way.
    Wife ran off two young CSULB girls that were going to be Social workers "helping people" when she had to pause the interview to deal with a Meth Addict HIV Clients Delusional emergency's.
    Now they both want to switch majors.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2008
  7. Shaigon

Shaigon IncGamers Member

Alright well lets make an example here.

I take an auto mechanic trade through a school that ships you your work, and when I'm finished I go to wherever to write my final exam.

I get my certificate saying I completed course XXX.

Now, would I be able to say start as an apprentice to get some hands on experience? Considering I've already got the knowledge from the course, I would now only need hands on experience.

Would they treat this certificate the same as say one from a local college?

I'm kind of confused.

8. AeroJonesy

I think it really depends on what field you are in, and the specific employer that is looking at hiring you.

9. Dondrei

Dondrei IncGamers Member

My wife's done a few correspondence courses, I get the impression it's much harder to learn like that and they tend to be more poorly taught.

10. kobold

kobold Banned

I think that it depends on the course/school/setup. I completed an H.B.Com from here last fall. While the work done from home could have been completed by others (a portion of the marks earned that way counted for final marks), there were supervised exams, with picture ID required.

The way that it is viewed by employers would be too varied to be able to make a blanket statement. There is such a variety of courses offered, some legit, others not so much.

As Dondrei said, learning in that sort of environment required a different mindset from when I was in university. There were also issues regarding the level of help available. I took the approach very early on in the online learning process to rely pretty much only on myself (students could unofficially collaborate on things), and I found it worked well.

11. Bortaz

Bortaz Banned

Most universities in the US offer "Online courses", especially during summer semesters. I've taken a few, as part of my M.Ed and recently in my RN program. I hate them, though, because I lack the motivation to do the work if it's not enforced by class attendance.

12. Shaigon

Shaigon IncGamers Member

I'm not an unmotivated person, if I'm paying for something it's going to get done.

Obviously I'd be doing the work myself, theres no point in having someone else do the work for me, getting my certificate/diploma, and not knowing a damned thing about it.

I'm more or less looking at the Trades section, but I'm just not sure how you can do a Trade from home.

Basically I want to know if I can do Trade "X" from home, and start as an apprentice..because I'd already have the "book" knowledge, and just need some real experience.

13. buttershug

buttershug IncGamers Member

Around here secondary school is high school.
    After high school is post secondary.

14. Yaboosh

Yaboosh IncGamers Member

Ask various companies that hire for the trade you are thinking about.

15. AeroJonesy

I'd imagine it's tougher for trades because those require hands-on experience moreso than other areas of study.

16. Shaigon

Shaigon IncGamers Member

That's what I'm trying to say.

Wouldn't doing an apprenticeship give you the hands on experience?

17. Yaboosh

Yaboosh IncGamers Member

Wouldn't doing an apprenticeship replace the need for schooling?

18. Sokar Rostau

Sokar Rostau IncGamers Member

Fixed it for you.

I have 107 pages of compulsory readings and a 500 word weekly summary based on 25 specified journal articles and book chapters this week... and that's not even a lot for this subject.

If it wasn't the best way to transfer from my current history degree into an archaeology degree, in the best university in the country for the subject, I would have quit after the first week and gone back to campus.

Having said that, we don't seem to be big on distance education here (beyond School of the Air, for remote outback children, which I would assume to be 100% online now). We have one or two fairly well known companies that offer small business courses and the like but most of the online stuff seems to be offered by major universities in proper degrees. There is no equivalent of the University of Phoenix here. Then again, there really isn't that much need for it when everyone can afford to go to university or a trade school.

I can't imagine that doing a trade by correspondence would be of any practical use to anyone - trades are about doing, not reading. That's why I doubt an employer would be eager to hire people with that kind of qualification.

Some subjects are suited to online, or other form of correspondence, courses, others really aren't..