Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Assistance with understanding crafting

Discussion in 'Theorycrafting and Statistics' started by eatenbyrobots, Jul 24, 2010.

1. eatenbyrobots

eatenbyrobots IncGamers Member

Assistance with understanding crafting

I have no head for numbers, like most verbally-inclined people, so trying to read the crafting guides is cracking my head in two. I swear I tried!

I'm interested in crafting good, high level 4-affix items, specifically caster boots/belts. I want to know where the best places to farm items are for these things, and also what the optimum character level would be for trying to get, specifically, good resist/stat mods from them while avoiding undesirable mods.

If these things can't be oversimplified, then I may just be out of luck, but thanks in advance if anyone can dumb it down for my math = fail brain.

2. In the name of Zod

In the name of Zod IncGamers Member

Re: Assistance with understanding crafting

You want high level items and a low level character. Get a level 93 character and gamble for the items you want to craft. Give them to a level 1 character to craft. I'm too lazy to lookup the source for this information but I'm sure it was another site anyhow.

3. NASE

NASE IncGamers Member

I see things quite different In the name of Zod.
    I believe you want to use a character of level 69 and buy items from the shops resulting in a item level of 74. If you craft these, you get an ilvl 71 resulting in items that always have 4 affixes. With the potential danger of opening unwanted affixes and without the need to play to very high levels or use different characters.

I believe that's more proficient then what In the name of Zod proposes. heck, I don't even think it's correct. Gambling with a level 93 character will result in items with an ilvl of ** or less. Crafting those with a character of level 1 results roughly in an item of level 44. That's not enough to always get 4 affixes.

P.S. note that this is a slight simplification of the process. What you do here is maximise you chances to get 4 affixes in the assumption that items with less affixes are useless. If you really want to maximise your chance to get certain affixes regardless of how many affixes you end up with, things get more complicated. Though I don't see the point.
    4 affixes is needed for that super craft.

4. DjSlayer

DjSlayer IncGamers Member

If it's only boots and belts youre crafting you dont have to worry about level requirement on the finnished product, only strength requirement. Gloves rings and amulets on the other hand can be rendered useless with high level requirement, and with gloves you can circumvent this by gamble and craft with a lvl 74 character. With amulets it's impossible if you want +2 to class skills, with rings I'm not sure, but seing that the most desirable mods on a ring is lvl 74 (of the titan, +16-20 to strenght) and below and the one mod that can "ruin" the ring is lvl 86 (of the vampire, 6% mana leach) with can up the level requirement on the ring to 95 (iirc) I'd say a lvl 80 character to craft rings would suffice, this way the lowest ilvl you get on the gambled ring would be 76 and the highest would be 85, below the ilvl required to get of the vampire affix.

- D.J.

5. eatenbyrobots

Okay, so, it seems most important that I gamble with a char of a set level, around 69-70 looks good. I assume I craft with the same character and just hope for the best, eh?

6. DjSlayer

DjSlayer IncGamers Member

The magical number would be 74.
    A minor tip is to get the crafter to hell and craft only in hell, you will get your full resell value of the crap crafts, and there will be a lot before you get something worth while.

- D.J.

7. NASE

NASE IncGamers Member

No,

You don't want to gamble them with a character of level 69. You want to buy them from the vendors, just like you buy potions.

If you want to gamble you want to use a character of lvl 74. However, I don't really see the point. It costs much more, you don't know what quality you will have (certainly for belts, this can be annoying) you risk getting rares etc.

I always buy my gloves and belts. If you know who to run (there should be list somewhere) you can do so quite fast. Certainly act 1 vendors (in nightmare) with a cow portal.

8. eatenbyrobots

Given that I've heard people craft for years to no avail, I'm not getting optimistic. I just like to maximize my productivity: runs = tons of jewels + runes. Might as well do something with them.

So, shopping items is the best way to do it. Hit lvl 69 and turn that guy into my artisan, start making belts and boots and what have you.

Would lvl 69 work OK for rings as well, or just boots/belts? I think I saw up there that the +str bonus from rings is attainable at that level.

9. NASE

NASE IncGamers Member

You need to gamble rings. Thus you need a higher level (74) to always get 4 affixes. you can probably use the same character for boots or belts without problems.

10. In the name of Zod

In the name of Zod IncGamers Member

There are certain affix's you can do without. The big +strength's push up the level requirement a lot. You can craft nice gear for your low level characters very effectively using low level chars. There's no need to always go for the absolute top of line crafts. Blood belts with 24FHR, 10%OW, 3%LL plus good life can be found on level 26 crafted belts. You would require a character of around level 30 to craft these and your chances are very very good when compared.

11. BobCox2

BobCox2 IncGamers Member

Superdave had a crafting post somewhere...