Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Assertion failure

Discussion in 'Diablo 2 Patch Bug Reports & Suggestions' started by teksyn, Mar 24, 2005.

1. teksyn

teksyn IncGamers Member

Assertion failure

Tried a search for this and found only stuff relating to ATMA.

I'm not running any third party programs, maphack, or any of that junk. I did just recently install, and uninstall limewire. WinMX has been somewhat unreliable as of late due to the fact of dummy accounts hosting fake files and not being able to download them.

Anyway, I run Diablo, go to Bnet and start a game as normal. About a minute later is freezes and gives me this error:

Assertion Failure
    Expression : ValidCelContext(pCelContext)

Is it time to reinstall D2?

Any help or ideas would be appreciated!

Thanks!
    :cool:

*EDIT* Seems to only happen when I hit the TAB key to bring up the map.
    This has happened before, but it only happened a couple of times.

2. RTB

RTB IncGamers Member

I'd try reinstalling.

because this sounds like a graphic corruption to me.

3. GIR

GIR Banned

The only thing I've ever heard of causing this error is the use of MapHack. It happens when you use it, leave the game and exit D2, thus turning it off, then re-entering the same game and trying to bring up the map again without the MapHack on. For whatever reason it causes an error that makes the game shut down.

I'm not saying it's the only possible answer to your problem, however, it's the only one I've ever heard of, and even if there were others, I'd guess I'm right, especially since you say it only happens when you press the Tab button to bring up the map.

Be *real* sure you're not using MapHack, and it's unlikely you'll come across this problem anymore.

4. Orphan

Orphan IncGamers Member

It's also a known problem with D2Jsp that your game will crash when hitting tab. I don't know if there's a fix (and, to be honest, I don't really care), but if your using D2Jsp, you should probably stop.

5. teksyn

teksyn IncGamers Member

Well I reinstalled D2 and it works fine now. I think perhaps the graphics were getting corrupted or something. When doing /fps I noticed that the text had verticle missing lines through it. Nope, no maphack here.

Thanks for the help.

-tek