Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Assassin Sword/Shield build?

Discussion in 'Assassin' started by Ossar, Mar 27, 2004.

1. Ossar

Ossar IncGamers Member

Assassin Sword/Shield build?

Is there any viable assa build that utilizes sword/shield? Looks kinda cool! Fully armored and a huge shield/sword =)

Maybe something built around the passion rune word. Socket in some fast sword, phase or cryptic? Load up on crushing blow and go zealing. Not the best but enough to make people wonder =)

Maybe only using cheap rune words is a task worthy of me. Defining cheap, passion, sanctuary...

2. Zero-unit

Zero-unit IncGamers Member

In the beggining of the patch i had such an idea as this (And Assassins do look cool with swords!) however my damage had suffered very much and so has my Attack Rating. I dont think they're viable versus most anything.

[email protected]~

3. zei_incarnate

zei_incarnate IncGamers Member

Well you could always make a kicker and pick a sword for its looks/mods rather than its damage.

4. Ossar

Ossar IncGamers Member

Not even when using passion rune word, might merc and loads of crushing blow?

Maybe Gore Riders, Rattlecage and Guillames Face? That would put me in the 70-80% (not sure) Crushing blow. Then it doesn't really matter how much damage I do, so maybe exchange the might merc for at HF?

5. Zero-unit

Zero-unit IncGamers Member

It just doesn't compare to that of an Assassin using a claw versus any thing.

[email protected]~

6. Ossar

Ossar IncGamers Member

My aim wasn't to make a one-hit-killer assassin. Just a char that looks cool without being smacked in hell! And zeal is kinda original (kinda, not completely)

7. Zarhrezz

Zarhrezz IncGamers Member

I'm building a kicksin who will eventually use Azurewrath with Stormshield. Add some Fade, Guardian Angel and Thundergod's Vigor and you have 90/90/95/90 resist, 50% PDR and 75% 3 frame block...should tank pretty well. And Azurewrath easilly allows for 7/2/2/2/... Talon. I don't plan on much CB, but there will be over 50% OW and 250-500 cold and magic damage plus venom is rather nice elemental damage.

8. Ossar

Ossar IncGamers Member

Already built a Dtalon sin. You should exchange Storm for a sancturay and fade for BoS IMHO. No PDR? Just use draculs, then you don't need any. You'll be leeching like crazy.

9. BIGeyedBUG

BIGeyedBUG IncGamers Member

Another thing to consider if your going for looks is a falchion/tulwar/hydraedge. They're the closest thing to a katana in the game.

Too bad they only get two sockets max.

10. Ossar

Ossar IncGamers Member

They're too slow. Phase or Cryptic is IMO the only alternatives.

11. Zarhrezz

Why give up 50% PDR for no gain in attack speed from BoS nor better resists or faster blocking from Sanctuary? BoS only means that there's no Shael needed in Azurewrath. So it's losing 50% PDR to gain a free socket in Azurewrath. I can't think of anything to socket that would justify that.

12. Ossar

Ossar IncGamers Member

You're right about the BoS/Azurewrath but the resists are far better on sanctuary. As for blocking, the 20 dex on sanctuary will help alot.

13. GenXCub

GenXCub IncGamers Member

An interesting build would be:

20 Tiger
    20 Phoenix
    20 Claws of Thunder
    20 Dragon Tail

Your main weapon would be a Crescent Moon runeword phaseblade (-35% enemy lightning resists and Ignores Target Defense).

If you could dig up +10 martial arts skills, the lightning damage from phoenix strike, on top of the kick damage is 3-5544 damage to each target, and that's not counting the -lightning resist. the Claws of Thunder would only be for a synergy since it requires a claw to build up charges.

14. Ossar

Ossar IncGamers Member

Don't think this would work. It's not always you can manage getting the second charge on Phoenix. And I don't think the -35% res would apply to Chaos Lightning. Correct me if I'm wrong.

15. Indemaijinj

Indemaijinj IncGamers Member

As far as I know the -resist mods work on all attacks that originates from YOU.

It is only if they originate for a minion or a trap that they don't work.

16. Ossar

Ossar IncGamers Member

Nice, maybe this is worth a though. :thumbsup:

The downside is just that you really can't combine tiger/Dtail with PS. You will end up using just one of them except if you encounter immunities.

Though really good idea to use crescent moon with PS. To bad you can't use swords with CoT =/ Would be easier to get that lightning damage every time.

EDIT: Just thought of one thing! I'm a proud owner of a crescent moon phase blade and I have a lvl 80 PS-assassin. Gonna try this and I'll get back to y'all with results!

17. Fafner

Fafner IncGamers Member

Or you could use a Phase Blade, Shael x2, Eth x4. I use this and stormshield on switch for my PS/TS/Dtail assassin when things get hairy and I need to hit (against bosses or immunes) I'm thinking about trying to correct this with claws by pumping CM, in theory it might help a little. I still have a decent D-tail/TS with this, I lose leach, but hit 9 times out of 10. I can time the meteor really well if I use regular attack to release as well (I like D-tail for the knockback to keep the mob off my back, darn merc with his reapers toll unCoSing the mobs).

I have a question as well, why does a decrepified monster suffer more damage when hit with D-tail splash? I thought decrep was physical resistance and therefore only applicable to the monster that gets kicked.

18. GenXCub

GenXCub IncGamers Member

The splash damage is dependent on how much physical damage you do to the main target. Was the main target decrepified? That would be the only thing I could think of.

19. Zarhrezz

Sure the resists are better, but gear setup with Umed Stormshield already maxes out my resists at the start of Hell, thus no point in a high resist all shield. 20 Dex is nice of course, but for a kicksin +30 Str is alot nicer. Besides, Stormshield with Guardian Angel maxes block at a rather low dex, actually so low that the dex needed for Azurewrath is higher than the dex for max block.

20. Sigus

Sigus IncGamers Member

As far as I can tell you need too much AR. The damage can be off set by using tiger strike.

If you uber rich and can get the best sword ever you could socket a jah:p