Latest Diablo 3 News
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Assassin help

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by ChaosStar0, Apr 8, 2018.

1. ChaosStar0

ChaosStar0 Diabloii.Net Member

Hello, I just joined because I have a question to ask. I just reinstalled Diablo 2 and am running an untwinked DClaw Assassin with no traps. I'm having trouble deciding if I want to use Cobra Strike or Venom on this build. I'm not very far in, I just rescued Deckard Cain on Normal.

2. maxicek

maxicek Moderator Single Player

3. ChaosStar0

*Respectfully* I already looked at that build and it uses traps, which I am not using. I am also using Shadow Master. My question stands Cobra Strike or Venom.

4. PhineasB

PhineasB Diabloii.Net Member

That's a really good guide. I'd go with venom for the long term; I've not found cobra useful.

Welcome to the SPF; hope you stick around. Post an intro thread and join some of the tourneys or challenges!

5. maxicek

maxicek Moderator Single Player

There is a no trap variant listed too.
    I have 20 Assassin Matriarchs and have not used Cobra Strike ever.

I think you will struggle with damage. You are going to need to find some very good claws.

6. ChaosStar0

*Respectfully* Please check your guide again. Every Variant has some form of Trap in it, whether it's Lightning Sentry, Blade Fury, or Death Sentry. All three of them are in the Trap skill tree.

7. mir

mir Diabloii.Net Member

I would go fo venom. Without traps you will need every bit of damage, especially elemental, you can get.

Cobra strike usually used for LL&ML, few points will be enough at the beginning. You can try to max this skill after you finish with the main skills.

8. Shuffleblast

Shuffleblast Diabloii.Net Member

Cobra strike isn't that great. When using 2 claws, I personally enjoy
    20 dragon claw
    20 claw mastery
    20 death sentry
    and then you can go for whatever, like for example
    20 venom
    and then whatever. With a bit of cheap gear + reaper's toll on merc it's quite viable and fun on /p3.

Assassin without death sentry sucks though...

9. drmalawi

drmalawi Diabloii.Net Member

@Shuffleblast they don't suck, but they are not just as fast at clearing. They can still be fun and also more challenging to play.

10. Shuffleblast

@drmalawi I don't think playing one is challenging though. There's not much to think about when you just single target chop down one monster after another. Or maybe you can go for some funky complicated martial arts build instead, but I can't imagine how long one cowrun on /p5 would take, 20 min maybe? Any bigger pack would be a chore without death sentry.

Back in 1.09 my highest char was a 97 phoenix strike/dragon claw/wake of inferno assa... My contribution per cowrun was about 20 dead cows. :/

11. drmalawi

What I like about this forum is that it is different from other D2 forums in that sense that "we" support and show appreciation for non-meta non-cookie cutter type of builds, used skills and items. And what is considered a challenge is of course subjective.

Why don't we just all play Blizz sorcs 24/7? Everything else sucks in comparison?...

If someone for instance wants to play necro without Amp dmg and Corspe Explosion, I fully support it and would try my best to give options and ideas for that person.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2018
    maxicek and T72on1 like this.
  12. Shuffleblast

Fair enough, but such a build... I don't know. I've leveled a similar assa to lvl 90 on sp hc:

20 dragon claw
    20 claw mastery
    20 shadow master
    20 death sentry

full natalya's set
    bartuc's
    highlord's
    reaper's, etc

The problem is that once you go down that route with dragon claw as your main attack and no death sentry, using any ability other than dragon claw is a waste. That's even more the case if you actually use good gear instead of me trying to put nat's set to use.

Now if that's ok and even desired... great. Just giving up a warning that:
    - you have no aoe without death sentry = poor exp gains
    - when using dragon claw, any other attack is a waste in terms of damage, so the fastest way to play is to use that one button
    - shadow master does no dmg either

This can be either fun or frustrating depending on the perspective (frustrating for me).

Oh btw, my new project is a poison creeper summoner druid.

13. PhineasB

PhineasB Diabloii.Net Member

Data point #2,742,891 that what is fun/challenging to one person on the SPF sounds absolutely dreadful to another SPFer . . . :p

T72on1 and Shuffleblast like this.
  14. drmalawi

I guess one can use Blades of Ice for some extra crowd control of monsters that are not cold immune. If one go untwinked, I guess Shadow killers are not gonna be available (they have high level req anyway) for that chance to proc frost nova.