Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Assassin from scratch to uber killer

Discussion in 'Assassin' started by Sgraffite, Oct 21, 2006.

1. Sgraffite

Sgraffite IncGamers Member

Assassin from scratch to uber killer

I haven't played Diablo 2 since it's release except to help a real life friend do the ubers about a year ago. I just started again about 2 weeks ago and have done a lot of reading since then to catch up.

I found some Shadow Dancer Boots the other night:
    +95% Enhanced Defense
    +2 To Shadow Disciplines
    +30% Faster Run/Walk
    +30% Faster Hit Recovery
    +25 To Dexterity
    Requirements -20%

I looked them up on the summit an noticed that I got a pretty good roll on them. I didn't/don't know a whole lot about assassin's so I decided to do some research on them. Anyways I was thinking of making a Dragon Talon/Blade Fury/Venom/Fade assassin that is able to kill the ubers and maybe pvp a bit.

So far i have found these items that may be helpful:
    Dracul's Grasp w/15 str and 9% LL
    Mara's 24 all res
    Fleshripper nice mods for a unique.
    3x Ravenfrost best I think is 19dex 249AR, though one is 20 dex with less AR.
    Soj woot!
    2x Tgod's
    4x Stormshields geez these are a dime a dozen considering they are elite.
    Guillame's Face
    2x Gore Riders
    Only high runes I have found so far are Pul, Um, and Gul.

For final items I was thinking (not too expensively) to use:
    Dracul's Grasp
    Mara's/Metalgrid (MG for AR and resists)
    Fleshripper I'd like Last Wish but the runes make my eyes hurt, would save points in fade though.
    Ravenfrost & ?
    Tgod's
    Stormshield Socketed with pdiamond
    Guillame's Face/CoA/Kira's Socketed with um/res all jewel
    Upped Gore Riders Shadow Dancers for pvp most likely.
    Overstack resists some with charms I have found.

Armor I'm still deciding between Fort/CoH/Duress in no particular order.

I haven't traded yet since I hate trading in game and waiting, there are probably trade forums that would be much more time efficient?

This won't be the best build for pvp but I'm more concerned with having fun and being able to kill the ubers with this guy :) Anyways am I way off here or on the right track?

2. FrostBurn

FrostBurn IncGamers Member

For someone who hasn't played D2 since release, I must congratulate you on your gear selection and skill choices. If only everyone took the time to read the guides and absorb information...:rolleyes:

I'm no assassin expert, but I would say that some of the most important things to have for Uber-hunting are Life Tap, Crushing Blow, and resistances.

Treachery is a great armour for 'sins.
    Shael + Thul + Lem
    5% Chance To Cast Level 15 Fade When Struck
    25% Chance To Cast level 15 Venom On Striking
    +2 To Assassin Skills
    +45% Increased Attack Speed
    +20% Faster Hit Recovery
    Cold Resist +30%
    50% Extra Gold From Monsters

In case you didn't know, Fade has a hidden PDR% bonus of 1% per level. For the slvl 15 Fade on Treachery, that equates to 15% PDR. Add that to SS's 35% PDR, and you reach the cap of 50% PDR. And if you do use Treachery, you save yourself skill points from not having to pump Fade.

DTalon gives four kicks at slvl 18 and five kicks at slvl 24. If you know how many +skills you'll have on your end-game gear, you can then decide how many hard points to spend to get to either slvl 18 or slvl 24. Somewhere in-between will only give you more AR and slightly more kick damage.

Blade Fury is kept at only 1 hard point by most players. At 20 points, you get less than 100 extra damage per blade, and many consider the extra 19 points spent as not worth the returns. BF relies mostly on CB and other damage mods.

There is no cap on CB, but the 50% that you will have is very adequate, especially with DTalon.

Have a look at the IAS tables (stickied) for the amount of IAS you need to reach a 3 frame kick.

With those spare skill points that you will have, how about a maxed Shadow Master as an extra tank?

And yes, it is probably better to trade in the trade forums here, rather than 'live' on the realms. Traders here tend to be more stable and less erratic as well.

3. Sgraffite

Hmm... I'll have to rethink this now as I forgot to include IAS, doh! It seems I will have a lot of skill points to spend so I don't mind maxing Dragon Talon even if it's just fro the AR bonus. I thought about using Treachery but I didn't want to lose the resists from CoH/Duress/Fort or the damage bonuses from Fort/CoH. I really like how Fort is kind of a jack of all trades, it has a wildcard damage bonus which would help kicks and BF nicely... The damage reduction on CoH is wasted with Fade so I guess that doesn't even count as a bonus. CoH does have skills however but I think fort's damage would have a much greater effect.

PB Last Wish would solve a lot of problems for me however I'd like to be able to fight the ubers this century.

Not maxing Blade Fury is a good point, I guess I assumed it would be a lot better if I maxed it, but that will save me a lot of points.

I may have to assign utility points to mods for comparison and see what the best setup would be...

4. JanusJones

JanusJones IncGamers Member

PB Last Wish will go a long way towards giving you the CB you need for Ubers, but you *could* do it with Duress, Guillaume's, and Dracul's - though the CB would only be about 50%. Remember you can use any other big CB weapon to supplement, however - try something cheap like Rixot's or Crushflange if you really want to shock people. Alternatively, Black makes an excellent choice if you don't want to go for shock factor - 40% CB is very tight.

Skip Treachery. It won't help you much. Your best bet would be a setup something like this:

Duress
    Stormshield
    Guillaume's
    Dracul's
    CB Weapon (Rixot's, Crushflange, Strength, Black, etc.)
    Shadowdancers
    IK Belt (resists, strength)
    Mara's (or Cat's Eye/Highlord's if you need the IAS)
    Ravensfrost
    Rare ring

5. Sgraffite

Well I went all out and used a Superior Phase Blade and made Last Wish, it ended up with 382% enhanced damage and 64% crushing blow :cool: Now I need to level Obfuscate some more!

[​IMG]

6. wizAdept

wizAdept IncGamers Member

Nice find on the boots. Those are GG.
    Dancers are more for pvp kickers but with what items you have to work with it easily works out for your build as well.

Also since you can hit 99% cb with your LW/guillaumes, switch armor for something else instead of duress.
    If you are making this a fade based build because of the LW proc, make sure to have enough ias for at least 8/3 kicks, 7/3 if you can do it without sacrificing too much but that doesn't look that way. Keep at least one item that procs OW (draculs) on for the ubers.

7. Sgraffite

What IAS would I need for 8/3 kicks? I see the table shows 46% to get 7/3 kicks which I think I'd have to sacrifice a lot of resists to get.

I'm thinking of either going for Fort or CoH, probably CoH for the resists since it looks like I'll need them.

Also why doesn't anyone recommend Lava Gouts for the ubers? They have 20% IAS, 24% fire resist and 2% chance to cast level 10 enchant, which would give a nice AR boost.

8. wizAdept

wizAdept IncGamers Member

Just buff with demon limb and keep draculs cause more frequent lifetap recast is never a bad thing and you need ow for ubers unless you can keep constant venom on them.

for a phase:
    18+ ias for 8/3 kicks, 46+ ias for 7/3.

I like using enigma as the main choice of armor on my pvm/uberkiller kicksin at all times for the mobility, if you need resists sure CoH will work as well.

9. Sgraffite

Well I played around with gear choices for much longer than I should have and here is what I came up with:

Code:
                Skill   CR  FR  LR  PR  FHR DS  CB  OW  IAS Str Dex
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    CoH         2       65  65  65  65  0   0   0   0   0   20  0
    Highlord's  1       0   0   35  0   0   33  0   0   20  0   0
    CoA         1       50  50  50  50  30  0   0   0   30  15  0
    Last Wish   0       0   0   0   0   0   0   64  0   0   0   0
    S/S (Um)    0       82  47  22  22  0   0   0   0   0   30  0
    Dracul's    0       0   0   0   0   0   0   0   25  0   15  0
    Shadow Danc 0       0   0   0   0   30  0   0   0   0   0   25
    TGods       0       0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0   20  0
    RavenFrost  0       0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0   19
    Torch       3       20  20  20  20  0   0   0   0   0   18  18
    Anni        1       10  10  10  10  0   0   0   0   0   10  10
    --------------------------------------------------------------
    Total       8       227 192 202 167 60  33  64  25  50  128 72
    This gives 50%IAS and 7/3 kick sequence without BoS, very near maxed resists without fade active and an adequate amount of crushing blow.
    For items I don't have stats were assumed to be the worst possible. I don't have an Annihilus or CoA yet. The CoA I plan on socketing with 2 15 IAS/1x all resists jewels. I have one 15/13all jewel now for it. Finding a 2 socket CoA may prove difficult, although the damage reduction on it doesn't matter to me. Another option if I find out I don't need open wounds I could wear bloodfists to hit the 86% FHR breakpoint. I may keep an Enigma around for mobility as well. Finally there is only one ring listed, so whatever I may be lacking when the other gear is finalized i'm hoping this ring can compensate, possibly all resists/poison resist/mana leech.

10. hydrahydra

hydrahydra IncGamers Member

i have a question... right now i have a kicker sin but i cannot seem to do enough dmg to the ubers

i'd get them to like 10% but they seem to heal faster than i do dmg... any reason for this?

i have 24 DT with +skill max venom shadowmaster etc.

also using shadowdancer... haveabout 7-8k ar ithink

11. hydrahydra

yeah wtf ive been trying to kill ubers for an hour now... they are not ****ing dying

12. Quietus

Quietus IncGamers Member

If you're having problems with the ubers, get some open wounds. Once they're bleeding, they aren't healing. Makes life happy.

13. hydrahydra

oh OW does the trick!?!?

god i wish i'd known that lol

anyways whats a good piece of armor with OW besides gore? :p

14. Sgraffite

Try Dracul's

15. Funguspower

Funguspower IncGamers Member

My own setup consists of this:

Beast ba
    Storm um
    CoH
    Credendum belt
    Mara 27
    Raven 20/233
    Rare ring: 7 allres/15 dex/39 life/6x AR
    Upped gores (200% ones, wee!, i play non ladder :p)
    Dracul's Gloves
    Guillame's face.

Beast ba gives 8/3/3/3 kicks on it's own, and also has Prevent monster heal, and OW. I get 70% CB on this setup, and about 14k AR. 1,4k kick dmg/kick and 1,3k venom.

With fade she has (with a few sc's included) over 300 stacked res, and still 8/3 kicks so Meph falls over in under 30 seconds. For the other ubers, just switch to BoS. She has 43% dr then, but if I die, it's just because lifetap didnt go off... Her tank is fine :p

Diablo is a bit longer but he too is just a matter of time.

Baal is my only problem, as I haven't got any Mana leech in my setup, so i get manaburned all the time (this gets REALLY annoying after a while) and have to gobble down a lot of mana pots. He can't kill me, but he pisses me off incredibly :p

/fung

16. Sgraffite

Well I have reevaluated my setup as finding a legit CoA seems overly difficult, and all the ones up for trade seem to be dupes. I've switched the helm to Guillame's Face and I must say I like how it looks better than a crown :smiley:

I've chosen to socket two 15% IAS/ 15 to all resist jewels into the armor, one into the shield and one into the helm. (Assuming I can find another, I only have a 15/13 currently)

Code:
                Skill   CR  FR  LR  PR  FHR DS  CB  OW  IAS Str Dex
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    CoH         2       65  65  65  65  0   0   0   0   0   20  0
    Highlord's  1       0   0   35  0   0   33  0   0   20  0   0
    GFace(15/15)0       15  15  15  15  30  15  35  0   15  15  0
    Last Wish   0       0   0   0   0   0   0   64  0   0   0   0
    S/S(15/15)  0       75  40  15  15  0   0   0   0   15  30  0
    Dracul's    0       0   0   0   0   0   0   0   25  0   15  0
    Shadow Danc 0       0   0   0   0   30  0   0   0   0   0   25
    TGods       0       0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0   20  0
    RavenFrost  0       0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0   0   19
    Torch       3       20  20  20  20  0   0   0   0   0   18  18
    Anni        1       10  10  10  10  0   0   0   0   0   10  10
    --------------------------------------------------------------
    Total       7       185 150 160 125 60  48  99  25  50  128 72
    This setup gives 7/3 kicks without BoS, 99% crushing blow, 48% deadly strike (for blade fury), 25% open wounds, dual lifetap sources, and 60 fhr (26 away from desired breakpoint).

I still don't have an annihilus or highlord's oe CoH but I will get them eventually. This setup looks like it will be able to kill bosses pretty quickly :cool:

17. Von Lazuli

Von Lazuli IncGamers Member

That is indeed a nice setup. (And I likes the way you have set it out).

However, I have a question. Why the Tgods? Going across your chart, it only offers 20str, I would suggest swapping it for an Open Wounds belt. If you get lucky you can get 24 of your 26 desired FHR, extra Open Wounds, and some more resists (and even get back that 20 strength if you get really really lucky...)

Oh... and don't use a 15/15 jewel in your gear... use a straight 15ias one and then trade the all resist/ias jewel to me! My sin needs... :grin:

Laz

18. Silent Shaddow

Silent Shaddow IncGamers Member

ok so thats a nice set, dont 4 get ur res charms, i would suggest considering a different amu for a source of res ^^
    also consider the crendulem belt or dungos>tgods iirc
    ull prob want more than u got atm...
    if u can afford lastwish then u can afford cta so get 1!
    now for my little bit of wierdness....:prop:
    lawbringer, a very cheap and awesome weapon for clearing up around the bosses, it offers

[FONT=arial,helvetica][SIZE=-1]20% Chance To Cast Level 15 Decrepify On Striking
    Level 16-18 Sanctuary Aura When Equipped (varies)
    -50% Target Defense
    Adds 150-210 Fire Damage
    Adds 130-180 Cold Damage
    7% Life Stolen Per Hit
    Slain Monsters Rest In Peace
    +200-250 Defense Vs. Missile (varies)
    +10 To Dexterity
    75% Extra Gold From Monsters[/SIZE][/FONT]

and for amn lem ko the - target defence, decrepify and sanctuary turn any ANY undead moster into a joke (2hit kill on that ob knght boss b4 dia ^^)... mephi has a nasty habit of raising alot :rolleyes: also it works wonders phys immunes
    i my self have a uber kicker and have been amazing plzed with this weapon....:flip:also nvr underestimate wizzy ^^

my advice is 2 make sure that u have a varity of options open when u enter uber trist... ive taken wizzy, jade talons, lawbringer, doom, black even embrassingly cta when i 4got my switch ^^ its always fun when ur in a game of smiters and they mess it up so no1 can get through the portal... out comes lawbringer =-) nobody wants 2 waste keys...

19. Sgraffite

Code:
    Why the Tgods?
    Well the chart doesn't show everything. I like Tgods because it makes you immune to gloams and lightning in general. It actually heals you a small amount when you have 85 lightning resist. I don't really need the strength from it. That is a good point about the open wound sbelt however, I haven't really looked at the crafted items yet but I will definitely have to!

Code:
    dont 4 get ur res charms, i would suggest considering a different amu for a source of res
    I kind of need the IAS on that ammy, and the deadly strike doesn't hurt for balde fury either. I figured if I need resists then I can always make it up through charms, where IAS you must get it on your gear. I've thought it over a lot and if I use an ammy without IAS I am pretty much forced to use IAS gloves and not Dracul's. I haven't forgotten about resist charms, I think I have 3 5 all res sc's, a 4 all res sc, and a 6 all res lc that i have found so far :smiley:

Code:
    if u can afford lastwish then u can afford cta so get 1!
    I figured CTA was a given so I didn't list it, who doesn't want 50% more life and mana?? I just started playing like 3 weeks ago so I'm still saving up for anni and CTA however.

That's a good idea to use lawbringer to clear the portal if it gets swarmed, I'll have to get one of those!

I also plan on the second ring being used for resists if I need them.

Thanks for the input!

20. SoAmazing

SoAmazing IncGamers Member

"Fade has a hidden PDR%"

wtf?