Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Assasin: Ghost-the GUIDE

Discussion in 'Assassin' started by tl998, Feb 29, 2004.

1. tl998

tl998 Banned

Sorry for the horrible formatting. It looked totally differently on WordPad. Any tips would be appreciated for later versions! This is my first guide ever so bear with me!

All comments are welcome. Tell me what you liked, and tell me what I can improve on!

2. Naliworld

Naliworld IncGamers Member

Nice guide...I have concerns over how much damage only 20 LS + 20 DS (perhaps a few in CBS) can do in 4+ player Hell games, but you have practical experience with the build, so I'll differ to your judgement.

My suggestions:

1) Divert a few points in SM into CBS instead, if the player can afford the safety reduction.

2) Why not an Act 3/5 Merc, or Act 2 Defiance merc?

3) Possibly get 1 pt. in BFury and a high elemental damage weapon on your weapon switch(eg. Gimmershred/'Famine') to speed up the killing of LIs or LI/PIs.

4) Helm suggestion: +3 Trap circlet, if the player can afford the safety reduction.

3. tl998

tl998 Banned

Yes, the beauty of this build is that you can be flexible. If you feel safe enough, go ahead and switch out of some of points from defensive skills such as SM into CBS for synergy. As for worrying about killing speed in multiplayer hell games, this build isn't designed to solo hell in multiplayer games. You should be partied there are too many players in the game. The flexibility extends to equipment choices as well. If you already have enough defensive mods from elsewhere, you can use a +3 to traps circlet. I just personally think RockStopper is too good of an item to pass up.

About BFury, isn't the chance ot hit dependant on Attack Rating? You probably won't be able to hit anything since your attack rating will likely be extremely low. This build calls for a very low dex investment. Remember, I was able to solo hell ancients, even with their immunities. However, sicne I have no experience with Bfury, I will defer to other peoples' judgement.

I have no experience of act3 mercs in 1.10, but I suppose they can be ok. I'm worried about the damage an act3 merc can provide, since merc damage is fairly important to this build. Act 5 mercs should work fine, but I just like act 2 mercs better if I want an extra tank because of the aura. And Defiance merc is worthless because a Ghost does not rely on a high DEF rating. Most likely you won't invest enough str to wear a high enough def armor to make a Defiance merc worthwhile. Holy freeze, however, makes it even harder for you to get swarmed, seeing how the enemies are chilled. I stil love my act 1 merc tho :) Hannah has been a faithful companion from day 1.

Thanks for the quick stickying, Naliworld :)

4. dolphin0765

dolphin0765 IncGamers Member

Nice guild, Really nice guild. I will probably try one for my own.

I have some suggestion here.

I think an Act5 merc will be great for this build too. I currently have a high level trappasin and my barb merc is actually killing for me pretty fast. Holy freeze will blow up the corpses for my DS, so I don't really recommand him to be with a trappasin.

It's just my suggestion. Correct me if I am wrong :)

Thanks for putting up a great guild like this and keep up the nice work.

Dolphin

5. tl998

tl998 Banned

You're correct in that HF will shatter some corpses and slow down your killing speed. However, slowing down monsters is another added defense against being swarmed. In the end it's up to you whether or not the extra defensive benefits outweight the offensive penalties. Glad to hear you're going to make a Ghost :)

6. Naliworld

Naliworld IncGamers Member

Hm....good point. It won't be too much of an issue with Fleshripper(or a similarly Eth'd weapon) + CoS, though.

7. Beatboxer

Beatboxer Member

Umm, your build is "copyrighted" to you?:confused:
    Did you go and get this done legally? I'm confused...

Sounds like you had fun with your character.:bow:

8. tl998

tl998 Banned

No, this guide is copyrighted to me :) This is so people don't go around posting my guide and then saying they wrote it themselves.

Naliworld: I don't even have a fleshripper myself. I don't know how hard it is to get one, but if I've been playing for months still haven't found even one, chances are a lot of people won't have one. I'd hate to base anything in my build on a single item that's hard to get. However, if you've already got a fleshripper, then give it a try and tell me if it works...

9. Ragnarok-

Ragnarok- IncGamers Member

tl, this guide is amazing, the ghost seems like a machine, but this wouldn't work for pvp would it? I mean, it's simply not powerful enough... *not to mention CoS wouldn't work... most ppl have mh nowadays neways*

10. tl998

tl998 Banned

Rag: Thanks for the compliment first of all :) The ghost is a machine, but a fun one.

PVP? Not a chance in the underworld. Thsi build is just designed for you to sruvive whatever surprise attack awaits, and give you the tools to control the crowd and turn the tide of battle or to run if you're completely out-gunned. That said, the damage levels of PVP are just too ridiculous. Depending on your gear, you might be able to survive one hit if someone tries to PK you. Use that time to quit out.

11. HardyZ

HardyZ IncGamers Member

nice guide tl988! :thumbsup:

concerning the merc, as Dolphin mentionned, the holy freeze merc might not be the best choice, as you have way less corpses for your ds.
    But as you said, safety is important, so why not going with a defiance merc? pretty defensive as well, won't shatter corpses on killing, and it has one advantage over holy freeze: it protects you the same way from any monster on the screen, even those hard-hitting ranged attackers that might be out of your merc's holy freeze's range.
    (it can be hired in normal, too)

apart from that, good work! :winner:

H.

12. tl998

tl998 Banned

There is one main reason why I would not go with a DEFIANCE mercenary. The reason is that in order for Defiance aura to help a lot, you must already have a significant DEF in the first place. For example if the Defiance aura gives you a 150% boost to DEF, then with 800 base DEF, you'll only get a 1200 DEF boost, as opposed to say if your base DEF is 2000, then you'd get a 3000 DEF boost. With this build, I don't think you'd be wearing heavy armor or stuff with a lot of defense anyways. My defense was a bit below 800 at end game. To get lots of DEF you'd usually need either heavy armor, or some ridiculously expensive runeword which most people can't afford. Besies, heavy armor slows you down and without BoS, you don't want to be slowed down.

That said, if you can by SOME method get a LOT of DEF, then by all means you can try a Defiance merc. I just don't see it happening though. You want your str as low as possible so you can pump vitality, and heavy equipment requires a lot of strength.

Again, thank you everyone who have provided feedback.

13. prion

prion IncGamers Member

i agree to a point, still any def boost will lower your chance to be hit, also your CoS boosts def too.
    Personally I think I would use an A1 or A5 merc just to be different. Defiance and HF are pretty much THE mercs in this patch, and it gets kinda old.
    This is a nice guide, I don't think I will make one but only becuase I have so many other things I want to do...

14. Metroid_01

Metroid_01 IncGamers Member

This is a pretty solid build. My favorite class is the assassin so i do know a few things bout em. i cannot stress enough though, with the low damage of this build, Death Sentry is an absolute must. as soon as enemies begin to die, you must put those out because otherwise things become very risky. i felt you did not stress the usefulness of death sentry enough here, and it is not to be overlooked. oh also blade fury is definitely worth the 1 pt. it does a % of your damage, making 1 more than enough, and it does a bit of extra damage to the Light immune enemies. also blade shield..... excellent skill to use, also does a % of your damage and it can give you just a bit of an edge on enemies that get too close. if you have knockback on something (hint: nef rune ^^) your blade shield will knockback enemies upon contact, same with fury. THESE SKILLS WILL TRANSFER A PERCENT OF FINAL DAMAGE AND ALL MODS. when i say this i mean, knockback, open wounds, crushing blow (fury can leech!). these skills are amazing. the nice thing is if you do 200 damage with just your claws but you do 500 with charms and junk, your blade skills will take their damage from the 500 not the 200!
    as im typing this i had a though, cleglaws gloves are excellent for an asn that wants to use these blades. it slows and has knockback...very useful eh?
    well thats all i had to say on this guide. otherwise i believe it is absolutely perfect.

15. tl998

tl998 Banned

You are right. Death Sentry is very important, which is why 20 points is invested into it. Incidentally, my shadow like to cast DS quite a bit, especially when I forget to do it.

I still can't see blade fury as a viable skill for the kind of equipment I chose. With very little in dexterity invested, I really have no way in Hell of hitting anything. Plus, both my main weapons and my switch weapons do really, really low damage. I do like 80 damage with my claws. If I wanted to shop for claws that did higher damage, that'll raise the str and dex requirement, which means a lot less life.

I have never used Blade Sentinel, so I can't vouch for its usefullness. However, If it is NOT dependant on AR, and mods like KNOCKBACK do transfer, then it may be worth it to invest one point in it just to be able to knock the enemy back! CClegaw's gloves are absolutely perfect for this if you don't mind slightly slower trap laying or if you alreayd have enough mana.

Thanks for the suggestions.

16. d33pthought

d33pthought IncGamers Member

Grab something with Ignore Target Defense and Blade Fury will hit almost every time..it just depends on how good you can aim the thing. If by some miracle, you get a hold of a runeword or item that has this mod, Blade Fury will be nearly indispensable. Blade Shield is also a good 1pt. backup too.

Great build, though. I've been looking for a 'stealthier' assassin variant for a while, and this one looks pretty nifty.

17. tl998

tl998 Banned

Well if you can find a claw with +3 traps, ITD, and does good damage and doesn't rquire ridiculous str/dex, then you lend it to me and i'll test it out ;)

EDIT: And ITD doesn't work on Champions and bosses right? In Hell there are a LOT of those things.

18. d33pthought

actually, I think it does work on champions and uniques..not sure about bosses, though. Anyways, I don't know of a claw that has all those mods except for Natalya's Mark (which violates your policy of cheapy-gear-ness, which is totally cool by me), but Nat's Mark as ITD, insane damage, and is only made better by the rest of the set...too bad you need to be 79 to use it, though.

I'm working on my own Ghost, and I've found the oft-overlooked Heart Carver (a rondel that gives +4 to a barb's find skills and grim ward but also has 35% deadly strike and ITD and decent damage). It's actually working rather well with Blade Fury.

19. tl998

tl998 Banned

You sure it works on Champions/Ghostly/Berserker monsters? If it does, then maybe...just maybe BF deserves a look. But still...if you're wearing Heart Carver, then I'm assuming it's on switch with a shield, and your primary setup is still C/C with +3 traps on each? If you do this, then you don't get a prebuffed Fade and Shadow. It's a tradeoff you'll have to consider.

Good to hear anotehr Ghost is being built! Keep the BF testing up, I'll be very interested in how BF does in Hell. I made it thru without it, but who knows...

20. d33pthought

I don't have those claws yet..I'm only level 22 now, but I'll be working on that. I expect to be roughly level 40-ish by tonight. The ghost's really a support build till you get your traps pumped, but fade has DEFINITELY been usefull. I've built other assassins and I always noticed that glaring lack of resistances. Not so with this one.

The good thing about BF is, that while most people are after high damage, you hit so fast with this skill that even a modest weapon like the coldkill hatchet would do wonders. Oddly enough, when you select Blade Fury, it doesn't list an Attack Rating in the character screen...maybe it's 95% chance to hit already? Or is the real number hidden?