Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

asking ik barbs

Discussion in 'Barbarian' started by Superhal, Mar 18, 2004.

1. Superhal

Superhal IncGamers Member

asking ik barbs

for those of you who have tried using the ik set for a while, what were your biggest problems?

If you could, what was your general skill point allocation and where would you change it?

as you can guess, i'm making one too. of the 5 sockets available, 3 are used, the others are going to try and address any weaknesses. i also didn't allocate all my skillpoints yet either.

2. TitanCentaur

TitanCentaur Banned

I have a HC level 84 IK barb. His weakness is the same as all other melee weakness, that is mana burn physical immue ghost. It take me a long time to clear level that has these little creatures. Other wise IK is pretty fun to play and very versatile. He's a fast boss killer also. Skill allocation is the same as describe in other thread, standard WW barb build.

3. WackenOpenAir

WackenOpenAir IncGamers Member

i must admit it has been a while since i have been playing my barbs. been busy with sorc, necro, pala....

Well i have just now build an IK barb. he was finished tonight (finished being lvl 76 and wearing IK)

He is a berserker barb.

The worst problem i have with IK is by far the survivability. I use warcry of course with berserk. but it still is a problem when facing bosses or champions.
    Also, since the belt is taken, it is hard to get lightning absorb. I kinda feel this barb NEEDS a whisp projector badly.

For the survivability, i think extra damage reduction from the runes would be the way to go (besides that whisp projector). Those are insanely expensive though....

I am too used to the other classes now that can play much faster and easier than a barb though. The IK berserker certainly can play trough hell, but just not as fast. care is needed with him. I thought about playing concentrate, but i like the magic damage too much for that i think, at least now i can battle IM and PI's.

My skills are:

20 berzerk
    20 BO
    20 shout
    10 warcry
    1 mace mastery
    1 inc speed
    1 natural resist

I now use an echoing amulet which makes warcry lvl 19. But he should be using highlords IMO. In the following levels i will add to warcry a bit to make him play more comfortably. Another 10 levels of vitality and less chance to be hit should help him a lot as well.
    Since i have other chars for MFing, i dont think i will care to do any mf on this barb, i will see what to socket in armor and helm precisely, if none else maybe prubies, i dont need to worry about ruining anything now with the unsocket recipe...

4. Superhal

i added up some stuff from all the items plus the set bonuses:

def: 2249
    ar: 550 + lvl 5 enchant
    war cries: +5
    masteries: +5
    combat skills: +7
    damage reduce: 20%
    lightning res: 121
    PR: 50
    cr: 90
    fr: 90
    str: 45
    dex: 20
    life: 194

that's some pretty huge holes in defense.

5. Xiamet

Xiamet IncGamers Member

This is why you max Shout, and have a point or 2 in Ironskin.

Also...if you go with the build that's best suited for the set, i.e: a WW'er, you'll probably get better results than say, a Zerker or a Conc, who do much better with a shield setup.

Damage and defense can be shored up with sc's.

-X

6. Superhal

found out some interesting things:
    the lowest res is poison, +50. 5 nat res, raised to 10 with set skill bonuses, is 54. + 30 from quests is 184. the set with even less nat res gives max res.

the elemental damage on the maul is enough to kill some of the weaker phys immunes, much like the old fire arrow for zons.

phys damage on the maul is very low. with 450 str + set, i'm only getting 5k-6k damage per attack (conc, zerk or ww.) however, each point of phys results in 13 after all the multipliers. with an 880 damage maul, i'm doing 11k zerk, 9k the rest.

overall, i'm pretty satisified, i suppose. i think i'm going to throw a vulpine jewel into the armor. other than mana drain mobs, he can handle just about everything (up to q1 a5 hell so far.)

i ended up maxxing shout for the zerk bonus. worked out pretty well. it helps me from getting hit during ww, and zerk gets a nice bonus.

7. squigipapa

squigipapa IncGamers Member

I have an IK barb, now lvl 85, I have NO, surviveablity problems what so ever!! I have roughly 4k life, (after BO) max shout, max BO, and because I've been trying out different builds, my conc and ww are now at lvl 26 each, (counting the +skiss from items) 1 pt in zerk, 1 nat res, 1 iron skin etc. I finished soloing hell the day before yesterday, (this was with only 3 players in the game) took baal's minions out in no time, then baal, only pot I drank was 1 mana pot when baal emptied my mana. I've died once so far, this was when I was around lvl 30 and in normal CS, I was IM'd and used conc instead of zerk and was killed instantly. I'm doing upper 6k dmg, (conc) upper 5k dmg with ww. I used to cautiously play this barb, but the last couple of runs (baal) I've been just diving in head first and killing anything that moves. The only time I use caution is when there are oblivioun knights around to IM me. So to awnser your question, the only weakness my IK barb has is being cursed. I just started building my hardcore IK barb last night, he's now lvl 16.

8. Holla

Holla Banned

i have problems with leech and also with 4 k life i still use life pots

~*ITEMS*~
    Ik set (40/15 max's in Armor and helm + 40/15 ias's in maul)
    Rings- Raven/Bk (5%ll)
    Ammy- Highlords
    Charms- 16x 290's/19-19-9 anni

The following is what i have WITHOUT items
    ~*Skills*~
    20 mace mas
    20 ww
    20 shout
    20 bo
    10 Ironskin
    1 nat res

~*Stats*~
    Stg-168
    Vit-317
    Dex-Base

~*Misc*~
    Life-1435
    Mana-96
    Resists -68 (hell)

Ok Now here is what i have WITH items on

~*Skills*~
    29 mace mas
    31 ww
    30 shout
    30 bo
    19 Ironskin
    10 nat res

~*Stats*~
    Stg-232
    Vit-336
    Dex-79

~*Misc*~
    Whirl Damage:Without charms - 5k/With 10 k
    Life- 3900

Hope This Helps!
    Mana-333
    Resists MAX (hell)

UHH I CHECKED GLOVES AND NOTICED THERE WAS NO MANA STEAL OR LIFE STEAL !!! I THINK I GOT 1.09 ik belt

9. PumpShot

PumpShot IncGamers Member

How can you have mana problems with an ik build? You've got 10% on the gloves alone. That should keep your globe full most of the time. Make sure that you're not noticing this mana problem while trying to kill monsters that you can't leech off. Otherwise, it's your AR that's your problem cause you're just not hitting anything.

10. Deepfriedspam

Deepfriedspam IncGamers Member

My IK Barb is currently 80, in act 5 hell. He is a semi-titan build, STR after bonuses is around 350, Vit currently about 110. life is almost 2k after BO. WW and BO are max, Shout near max, as is MM. Even in full 8 player games, unless i run into mana burn i do fine. Then, I have to switch to conc or zerk depending on how easily the monster is hitting. with charms, the only unmaxxed res is cold, working on that now, lol. Current using 2 ravenfrosts and a Crescent Moon ammy, 13% ML on the ammy. I have to say this is the best and most survivable character i have in hell, next to my skellimancer. Definitely more fun and active than the skellimancer though. 2 Shaels in the maul, so i hit the 2nd WW breakpoint, fun stuff. :yep:

11. Superhal

i'm going to try an ith (15% damage taken to mana) in the armor and try to find some phys immunes. :)

12. Superhal

ith is kind of lame. it seems, to me, that mana is added back before the drain, so it doesn't help at all.

13. sahlakh

sahlakh IncGamers Member

I have lvl 91 IK WW Barb on Europe HCL and he's doing pretty good, one of the best and most efficent melee build I've tried in 1.10. I'm not afraid of Souls or whatsoever, but I'd whirl much in the middle of fana enhanced minion of destruction pack (I've tried that a few times, OUCH!).

Also, the physical dmg of IK maul is pretty high:

+200% dmg to undead
    +250% dmg to demons

14. Krime

Krime IncGamers Member

1st: There are 3 WW breakpoints for 2-handed weapons: -10 ; -30 ; -60 ;

2nd: As the maul has an inherent ias bonus of 40%, that last shael you put in is wasted, since ogre mauls have a base speed of 0. Unsocket it, and put a 40% ED jewel in the other socket, unless you need extra ias for concentrate though.

cya, Krime

15. Liessa Wyrmbane

Liessa Wyrmbane IncGamers Member

Ogre Mauls have a base speed of 10, though.

16. adamfgt78

adamfgt78 IncGamers Member

According to the Arreat Summit, Ogre Maul has a base speed of 10. That means you'll need 70 wias to hit the last break point.

17. Superhal

some minor points:

ogre maul base = 10, last ww bp is -60, -40 inherent, so +30 needed.

all blunts have +50% ed to undead, so ik maul is actually
    +50 vs undead inherent
    +200 undead
    +200 demons

18. squigipapa

squigipapa IncGamers Member

You've got yourself a .09 pair of gloves there. Problem is that it's hard to trade for a pair of 1.10 gloves cause they look exactly the same (same durability etc.) I had a .09 pair up until last week (when I horked a pair of .10's in the pit) so before I found the .10's the only leech I had was from a rare amulet, 7% mana, 6% life I believe. and I had no problems with leech, now I changed amulets and only have the 10% from gloves and I'm doing fine with it.
    If you whirl, make sure you have an additional 30% IAS on the maul, (more hits == more leach) other than that, I don't know what I can say, I mean last night I was mana drained almost empty, and used concentrate for like 2 or 3 hits to fill my mana ball, so with 10% or so leech you shoulden't have a problem. Use an amulet, ring or both if you need to, until you find a pair of .10 gloves.

Sorry, I just noticed you said your dmg was 5k without charms 10k with, I'm assuming you have a bunch of 290's (5000 dmg worth) so just remember you won't leech off of your total dmg, only your total physical dmg. You really don't need all thoes poison charms (if that's what your using) you have enough psn dmg on the maul to prevent healing and do a bit of dmg, If you are using a lot of poison charms, try removing them and killing a bit, you shoulden't notice much decrease in your killing power and then you could replace thoes charms with more useful ones like vita etc.