Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

asking an intriguing question to probe you intellects ifra

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by GrnEggsNHam, Feb 11, 2004.

1. GrnEggsNHam

GrnEggsNHam IncGamers Member

asking an intriguing question to probe you intellects

Guy A: Hell yea I just ****ed 3 girls this week
    Guy B: Woah nice, you are like a super smooth lady killer
    Guy B: **** yea
    Guy C: Damn super pimp and shiz
    Guy D: At the same time?

argument: Why don't guys B and C call guy A a man-slut or a whore? If we replaced the "guy A" with "girl A" the responses would be much different and most likely involve everyone calling her loose or a slut. My question to you is why is this?

PS. sometimes even my randomness surprises me, I started pondering this when I was eating 2 double deckers(a type of taco from Taco Bell) alone in the cafeteria place. I guess it is true college does make you think?

2. Dredd

Dredd D3 Off Topic Moderator

If girl A came up to me and said, "Hell yea I just ****ed 3 girls this week" I wouldn't call her a slut, I would call her my dream.

3. My_Immortal6

My_Immortal6 IncGamers Member

I think anyone who has sex with more then one person at a time is a slut.

4. Dredd

I totally resent that. I am not a slut, I just have a LOT of love to share! :rant:

5. Anakha1

Anakha1 Banned

I'd call him a moron, but that's me. I hate braggarts who talk about women that way.

Anyways, it's a social norm. Guys get social status for seducing women, women are supposed to be faithful to one guy. Yes it's not fair and it's stupid, but most double standards are.

Immortal: What if I have sex with them in quick succession but not at the same time?

6. giantpinkbunnyhead

giantpinkbunnyhead IncGamers Member

Some time ago, we had a HUGE thread on this very question. As usual, we didn't reach any conclusions, people held the same opinions, and a few enemies were made.

But as far as your argument goes, you're right... it sure is imbalanced. I wonder if it has to do with men typically wanting females who "haven't been around the block" while they themselves wouldn't have a problem doing as many women as they could. But what do I know, I'm 26 and have only had two girlfriends thus far.

7. LunarSolaris

LunarSolaris IncGamers Member

It's because there is a gender double standard for men and women in this society and it balances in favor of one sex or the other in different situations.

In your example, the double standard favors men when it comes to sex and relationships. It's an offshoot of a patriarchal society and is generally the same in most westernized countries.

In another example, women have more leway to express themselves fashionwise. For example, a woman can dawn a pair of boxers and be considered "sexy", yet a man trying on Vicky's secrets is labeled a "freak" or "pervert".

The world is full of double standards I'm afraid to say...

8. giantpinkbunnyhead

WHOA I never thought about that! Dang, now I wish my g/f wore boxers. But in all fairness she DOES look better in Vicky's secrets... OK I take the boxers remark back.

9. Anakha1

Anakha1 Banned

I'm sure she does look better than you in Victoria's secrets. How long did it take you to notice that? :D

10. LunarSolaris

Not to derail the conversation at hand... but... if this thing of Victoria's IS, in fact, a "secret", then why does she have so many blasted stores selling it?!?!?!?

11. giantpinkbunnyhead

Are you implying that I don't have a shapely figure? How brutish! I'll have you know that thong was quite comfy.

12. Dredd

You can't possibly be serious. What is there to possibly fight about? It's nothing more than a typical sexist double-standard.

From my experience, situations such as the one presented in the original post were common in high-school -- and usually just coming from the mouth of a braggart who was lying anyway.

Women are just as sexually active as men, but they are typically active with fewer partners -- and they also are typically less vocal about it (there are exceptions aplenty I'm sure). I think that women who are vocal about their sexual activity is something of a taboo here in the states, but that is slowly changing.

Honestly, no one should be calling anybody a slut ...

13. giantpinkbunnyhead

It's like that fishing commercial, with a dad and his 8-year old son:

Son: Dad, THIS is your secret fishing hole? (100's of people present)
    Father: Sure.... ask anybody!

14. Savage

Savage IncGamers Member

Traditionally:

A guy gets a girl to have sex with him.

A girl lets the guy have sex with her.

So, if a guy has a lot of sex he's smooth and if a girl has a lot of sex she's easy.

Stupid, really.

15. giantpinkbunnyhead

The tension arose, if I remember correctly, over some of the posters using the term "slut" while the other half got mad at the first half for using such a derogatory term, and then they started bashing each other.

16. LunarSolaris

Although I must admit that a few of the more recent debates have been pretty decent and level-headed. The current debate on *** marriage seems to be going pretty well from what I can see right now. Some emotions have flared a little, but it's largely been very civil - and that's pretty impressive in my book.

17. GrnEggsNHam

GrnEggsNHam IncGamers Member

The reason women are not as vocal about it as men is because they would be looked down upon thus being called a whore and such. Men vocalize this because they are praised. Anyways this happens because society tells us this as we are growing up. I just wanted to make it obvious how long we have to go before equality between men and women is actually obtained.

18. CaptJoe213

CaptJoe213 IncGamers Member

bah, the bragging guy was most likely lying. Even if he wasn't, there's no reason to call him any names at all really, his lack of respect for his own sex life is enough of an insult for him. Where I'm from, a man that talks about how much he's 'scoring' gets labelled as one of those 'empty cans rattle the most'. He would be the butt of jokes around here, the more he bragged, the more he would be considered a virgin.

Do people really go around braggin about how many chicks they've been with? I've never ran into a single guy like that in my life. Maybe we're just private people down here, I dunno.

19. Anakha1

Anakha1 Banned

I have. And it almost always sets my ******** detector off at its highest alert level.

20. Steel_Avatar

Steel_Avatar IncGamers Member

It's not really a probe of our intellects so much as an acknowledgement of two things:

1.) There is a double standard. Has been for a while.

2.) Guys who actually say this are either A.) Lying through their teeth or B.) Incredibly crude.