Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Askin for some advice on a javazon :)

Discussion in 'Amazon' started by FanMan, Mar 20, 2004.

1. FanMan

FanMan IncGamers Member

Askin for some advice on a javazon :)

Hey guys, I'm buildin a javazon on ladder. I'm currently thinkin LF, but it's the other skills that have me second guessin myself.

I'm trying to decide whether to go max jab/LF/CS, or PsnJav/PlagJav/LF
    or some combination of those. I'm worried that in hell the immunes would really screw a mostly lighting zon.

Also, I am debating the merc to get. I've had good experience with the defiance merc on my sorc, but I'm thinkin Might would help also, or even an A1 archer. Which would be better for a javazon really (I know this is really a preference but tell me anyways :))

Anyways, any help would be appreciated.

2. royalesse

royalesse IncGamers Member

If you have a good merc set up then you don't need to worry about a 2nd damage. Since your merc can be your 2nd damage.

If you don't have a good set up then I've heard that if you go Plague/poison then you need to go all the way and get Trang gloves and other things to increase your poison damage.

Merc wise I've always heard good things about an Act V merc with a Sazabi's set or an Act 2 Might merc with an Amn, shael, shael Tomb Reaver with Guillame's Face and an Upped Rattlecage.

The Act V merc works well since most Phys Immunes are Undead and will be taken care of by you. The non-phys Immunes are usually crushed by the +318 dam to Demons.

The Act 2 Merc just does a helluva lot of damage, creates extra meat shields, and cripples bosses & champions with the crushing blow.

Edit: Of the two choices I'd go CS/LF/Plague Jav/Poison Jav and get +3 Jav & Spear gloves or craft some +2 Jav & Spear Hit power gloves. I'd use razortail for the pierce and try and get my Pierce to lvl 8~9 with + skills.

3. FanMan

FanMan IncGamers Member

interesting about the a5 merc with sanzabi. But yeah, I've been using a2 mostly and they are definitely a meatshield, but I'm still torn about the might/defiance.

Skillwise, if i get all 4, I know i would have to invest heavily in the poisons for them to be effective. So assuming I put only 23 odd points into passives, this would take 106 skill points. Hmmmmm, could work. I'm lookin at the skills calc and according to that with around 7 +skill, with Plague I would get about 1k dmg a sec for 13 secs. And the CS would get 3-1.5k per boltx8. LF would be around 1.1k hmmmm, and i guess i could rely on the merc and valk for the phy dmg.

Still undecided about the merc heh >< Any other inputs are welcome.

Forgot to ask, does no one like the a1 merc? I could see your valk and you tankin and her pickin guys off. heh :)

Keep forgettin stuff :( Are there any advocates of jab out there vs plague/poison. One advantage that i see is being able to free up around 20 points to play with. Anyways, lets hear your thoughts

4. Holymonkey

Holymonkey IncGamers Member

Jab is a 1-point-wonder IMO. The only advantage of putting extra points into it is the ED, and with this type of build your not going to need to rely on physical dmg. Your merc can take care of the immunes.

5. FanMan

FanMan IncGamers Member

well the thought was that if i were going the jab route, I would have a spear on switch and use that to jab too :-D Dunno if it s really worth it's got looks :-D

So at this point jab is stayin at 1 i think. Psn/Plague/LF/CS looks feasible, still a little doubtful on the merc choice though. I think with this I'mma exclude a1 merc, so it's down to might and defiance. Any help on that would be great. Have javazons who used might feel it helps them alot in killin speed? Do they tank well?

6. royalesse

royalesse IncGamers Member

If I were to pick between Might and Defiance... assuming this is SoftCore I'd choose might / Hardcore: Defiance.

As a Java you don't really need either though... Personally, I'd be thinking Thorns or Holy Freeze. PvM you'll get more damage output from Thorns than you would from Might. You personally wouldn't get hit but you have a Valk and a Decoy that could just get pummelled. You'd need to find a lot of Leech for your merc. If worst comes to worst stick a bunch of Amns or Pskulls in a 6 socketed -20 WSM spear.

Holy Freeze would really help you as a Java. The HF slow the monsters to make your tanks last longer and make it easier to line up shots... best of all it works on cold immune. If you put on a Reapers toll on the Holy Freeze Merc the baddies will be crawling from both HF and Decrepify.

Might will increase your damage but as a Java your damage is mostly elemental so it won't help as much as if you were a strafer, fender, jabber, or multishooter. I feel that Jab is redundant with your merc and if you have a really good 2 handed spear to use for jab then you should just give it to your merc (unless of course it is zon specific).

Furthermore, I don't recommend mixing melee with ranged. Melee requires completely different equipment and stats than Ranged. Ranged is easy to be a glass cannon or a Dexazon. If you try and melee with that char then usually you die in one hit. If you really want physical on weapon switch then I suggest using Multishot or Strafe on a switch bow. Again... it's probably redundant with your merc and your valk though.

I guess it's a good time to explain why I like Charged Strike though... CS you can do with 75% block on a shield also it's possible to get all the bolts to hit the same target (attack on a diagonal vector from the monster). So it makes a good boss / single enemy attack while Plague and LF are group killers. And still... the shield is the most important part of CS there by making it easier to melee without switching equipment.

Defiance... you don't really need with D/A/E and a shield... but heavy D is always good on HC as well as high life.

A1 mercs are good for more elemental damage. Since cold and fire arrows convert physical to elemental they are great for phys immunes. Most people who are advocates of A1 mercs like to either use Kuko or WWS. Kuko for the exploding arrow so it always hits. Kuko is just amazing on an A1 merc and an Melee Enchantress. The enchant damage is counted twice both on the arrow itself and the explosion. WWS people like for the magic arrow (yet another kind of damage), the Deadly strike, and the Amp Damage.

IMO it would be a toss up between the A5 merc and the A2 HF merc. HF just to make aiming easier. The A5 merc because the AI is just so much more aggressive. I believe that the A5 merc has a longer tether as well so he can run off in one direction you can go the other way and he won't back off from the baddies as soon as the A2 merc would. This allows you to pull back, regroup, and line a shot while the barb is going nutzo.

My suggestion is that you can't get an A2 merc until NM anyways so get an A5 merc in norm and try him out. If you don't like the AI then switch him out when you get to A2 NM.

7. ConFusion

ConFusion IncGamers Member

Royalesse has some very good points imho. I'd say a might merc wouldn't help you (personally) much. Since most of your damage will be from lightning fury, the physical dmg can basicly be forgotten (only needed for leech). Might mercs are better capable of surviving because of their extra damage = extra life leech.

Since you probably won't be wearing an 1.5k defense+ armor, defiance won't help you much either.

Holy freeze will slow down monsters, which used to be bad for javazons in 1.09 since you couldn't herd cows to think packs with it. Not sure how that works now in 1.10, the slow is usually quite good for crowd control but also works fine vs bosses.

Thorns would be an interesting approach with your minions, but I doubt it'll work. I wouldn't want to rely on the damage of my enemies anyway.

Blessed aim can be totally forgotten and so can Prayer, it just goes way too slow to be of any use.

Act 1 mercs could work just fine, with a decoy and valk tanking for you. Windforce and Eaglehorn are cheaper then ever, with bowazons being a rarely used class in 1.10. Upgraded WWS could work out fine too. The problem with Act 1 (and act 3) mercs is that they slow down your herding skills (or die while you're herding), should you cow with this javazon.

You might want to read flux' javazon guide, which although made for 1.09, still has some good points for 1.10.

8. FanMan

FanMan IncGamers Member

interesting, I'll be sure to read that guide, thanks for all the inputs guys, appreciate it :)