Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

As Long As Blizzard does not make it Pay To Play Like WOW

Discussion in 'Diablo 3 General Discussion' started by Sphinxman, Apr 14, 2008.

1. Sphinxman

Sphinxman IncGamers Member

As Long As Blizzard does not make it Pay To Play Like WOW

As Long As Blizzard does not make it Pay To Play Like WOW.:shocked:

2. TheOgre

TheOgre IncGamers Member

Re: As Long As Blizzard does not make it Pay To Play Like WOW

mhm! When i pay for a game in the store it shuld be mine to play with as much as i like!

3. Kryyn

Kryyn IncGamers Member

I'd stick with D2 if they did that. We can always make our own servers and mods if Battlenet drops D2 in a few years.

A usermade expansion would be easy to make, you just need knowledge in editing and some free time.

-Sorry if talking about mods is illegal on this site, I'm unaware of the attitude towards them here.-

4. Copilot

Copilot IncGamers Member

Mods aren't illegal but private servers are, mods are single player and tcp/ip only.

Obviously its going to be pay per month, just like all MMOs. Or else how would they make money, thats all really blizzard cares about in the long run.

5. mince pies

mince pies IncGamers Member

Wouldn't really bother me. By the time DIII does come out (and I know it will) I'll be working and will be able to afford the monthly fees

6. Davio

Davio IncGamers Member

By the time DIII comes out, I'll probably have grandchildren who want to play Hello Kitty Island Adventure when they come over.

7. Merick

Merick IncGamers Member

Most people would count GW and D2 (no fee) as MMOs. It doesn't just have to mean games where there's a big field where hundreds of people camp spawn points.

8. aishilee

aishilee IncGamers Member

I don't mind p2p. But if its P2p, we should expect very strict gaming environment. As in .. no hacks, frequent updates, no exploitation of anything.. and .. and .. hmm.

well anyway its time to upgrade my com. ..i am still running on 512ram. and some weak graphic card. doubt it will support anymore games. my c&c3 is still in my stash ..

i mean shelf.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2008
  9. Klapios

Klapios IncGamers Member

WOW, I'm going to be a lone voice but I HOPE its pay to play, the overall quality of the game will be SO much better.

10. Dextro

Dextro IncGamers Member

that's the point of monthly payments. you're paying for server status, frequent patches, no dupes or hack, etc.

so many people complain about monthly fees and yet also complain about dupes and the such

WoW is 15 dollars a month...that's 50 cents a day? why complain?

11. aishilee

aishilee IncGamers Member

YEs. I would p2p for that matter. But b2p is not that bad of an idea too.

I don't Like the idea of F2p but with those in game Cashshop. lol/ those are a ripp off.

12. mince pies

mince pies IncGamers Member

Well technically DII is an MMORPG then isn't it? Because it's an online multiplayer game and it's a role-playing game.

13. Kingsniper

Kingsniper IncGamers Member

Well say most d2 players have been playing 5 yrs thats 60 months which is 900 dollars now im british but converting that to pounds means thats one effing expensive game :)

blizzard games as we know are addictive people have died from WoW and if a D3 came out we would be playing it for the same ammount of time .. atleast 3+ years and im sorry i have better things to do with 900$

ban p2p tbh :wave:

14. Thyiad

Thyiad Moderator Single Player, D2 Assassin, Barbarian

I wouldn't pay a monthly fee for a game. I can't justify the cost when I have a mortgage and bills to pay.

HOWEVER ... I played WoW a little and it was obvious where the fee went. Regular - if large - updates, scheduled upgrades/downtime and non-existant lag. I'm in the UK and I played in the Australian/New Zealand servers with an average ping of 150. No that wasn't a typo and check that distance people. Additionally, the largest ping I ever saw was 350. Figures a lot of bnetters would envy playing on their local server.

15. Merick

Merick IncGamers Member

That is way off. I remember when Diablo 2 first came out. Everyone seemed to be playing it. By the time I bought it 4 months later, none of them played anymore. A percent will buy a game, hate it immediately, and never play it again. A larger percent will play a few characters say "that was fun" and never play again. The people on this forum are a very small minority, people who have been playing for years. I bet only about 5% of everyone who has ever bought D2 has played it within the last 3 months.

Guild Wars has also managed to be profitable by releasing a new campaign about every 8 months.

16. raishi

raishi IncGamers Member

diablo is not a mmorpg...its missing the massive part...only 8 people in a single game...for it to be mmo there should be closer to 1k...

17. Kripps

Kripps IncGamers Member

Erm... I'm not sure what world you live in but what companies would develop a game and not make ANY profit from it? You're being silly by saying Blizzard only cares about money because who ****ing doesnt?

18. raishi

raishi IncGamers Member

Not unless Blizzard scraps the SP mode...which would greatly aggrivate alot of people...

And P2P isn't exactly a cash crop...because it means there must be a large team to maintain and monitor and another team to continue to debug and develope new stuff to keep people immersed in the game...and all those people get paychecks...very large paychecks...so for a monthly wow fee of 15 that maybe pays for 1 hour of work for one of those people...whom also need to be available 24/7 to maintain support...so 24/day 30ish/month that is $900 per person assuming they are only getting 15/hour...which as a game developer or IT staff of the caliber that Blizzard hires is almost insulting...likely they are getting 20ish...and who knows how many staff are being used to maintain all their servers all the time...135 mil a year from those subscriptions, with a staff that is making between 100 and 200k per year...67.5 employees paychecks, not counting the bill for their benfits...that sounds close to the ammount of people to maintain that many servers 24/7 and maintain and develope the soft ware...so this "cash cow" has a large ammount of it going right back out into the company's employee's paychecks and other maintenence costs...not to mention a large number of the users are probably running off of trial accounts which are free...

Granted they are more then likely still making some income off the subscriptions...but it isn't as massive as it seems...