Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Artisans for multi-characters?

Discussion in 'Diablo 3 General Discussion' started by blackbisket, Aug 20, 2010.

1. blackbisket

blackbisket IncGamers Member

Artisans for multi-characters?

Hey all it been awhile since my last post. Im sure each character will need all 3 for the skills they provide but I was thinking if ull want to max then for all toons or just max them on ur top guy and be able to use the gear on any guy/girl on ur account?

If anyone has info on this it love to see it or just here thoughts on the subject:thumbup:

2. TheMythe

TheMythe Diablo: IncGamers Member

Re: Artisans for multi-characters?

Plot/quest items should not be made tradable, just like you could not give the Horadric cube away...
    Other than that, sure, mule all you want so you don't have to lose anything. I do hope they set a max. toonnumber and only 1 account per cd-key/registration code!

3. Apocalypse

Apocalypse IncGamers Member

i am guessing many will just focus on 1 characters artisan while many other will level them all. i personally will level each one while giving the really rare recipes to my main character. this of course assumes muleing is easier this time around. not sure i am willing to go through the painfull muleing process we had in d2 all over again

4. Moonfrost

Moonfrost IncGamers Member

Maxing them on one char seems the most sensible approach, as it's probably cheapest that way. For this reason I don't think it'll be as simple as it sounds, especially once crafting specializations are taken into account (i.e. it might be cheaper to have two characters specialize in their own weapon type rather than having one character focus on both).

5. NASE

NASE IncGamers Member

Who says recipes are going to be tradable or even muleable?
    I'm not sure I would implement such an option.

6. Moonfrost

I don't see any real reason to make them bind on account/pick-up. Jay emphasized that he wants crafted items to be a small percentage of people's equipment - the majority of said equipment should be rares/uniques/sets, I assume - so creating draconian rules for something that's a relatively minor feature doesn't seem very reasonable. It's a gold sink first and foremost IMO.

7. Apocalypse

Apocalypse IncGamers Member

BOP is pointless imo, it adds nothing to the game. If the recipe is BOP but the item it crafts is not then why even bother making the scroll BOP? Now if the scroll and item are both bound to your character then there is potential to make a very valuable scroll completely worthless. For instance a wizard picking up a BOP recipe for the best bow in the game which binds on creation. My guess is the recipes will be tradeable for sure

8. Knight_Wolf

Knight_Wolf IncGamers Member

I don't think that will work, as some people have already said .. Artisans do specialize later on at higher levels ... Jay said that while there are separate specialization paths you can switch specialization of the Artisan .. but that means it will take a lot of effort to get a single artisan specialize in everything ... so it makes more sense to have each one of your artisans in every one of your characters games (namely the Blacksmiths here) specialize in one thing (1h swords, shields .. etc etc).

Ex. if you make the Blacksmith in the game you are playing with your Barb specialize in Body Armor he can then supply the other characters with their needs of armor .. but then for example you will need to make the blacksmith of another character (another barb or any other class) to specialize in axes, swords ... etc etc.

9. Deckard Cain

Deckard Cain IncGamers Member

I do recall him saying that you can "fully level all artisans" and that you can "specialize." I do not recall him saying anything about switching specialization.

I am curious if this is possible. Otherwise you may want to fully level the blacksmith on all toons but in a different specialization, and the same for the other 2 artisans.

10. Killafornia

Killafornia IncGamers Member

I plan on taking my barb all the way through the game before I play anything else, and when I do switch to another class it'll probably be easier to funnel all the resources to my barb to get his artisans maxed out if they aren't already.

11. Moonfrost

He did say that specializing in one item type wouldn't lock you out of the others and that you wouldn't lose any recipes (progress) by switching, or something to that effect.

12. Deckard Cain

Deckard Cain IncGamers Member

Very interesting... i wonder if he meant that when you specialize in one thing (axes) you can still make all your old armor sword etc recipes. Or maybe he does truly mean you can switch back and forth as you please. I'd be curious to see a response from bashiok on this topic.

13. konfeta

konfeta IncGamers Member

You can level everything up on every Artisan. It's just that specializations are another way to draw out the power curve on the each Artisan.

You want sexay Axes? Specialize. You want sexy swords on top of that? Level him up some more in another specialization. The idea is that Artisans take a while to fully complete, but you can access high end items of specific variety before fully leveling the Artisan.

14. Moonfrost

Here's the exact quote, taken from the very end of this Q&A clip:

15. Pyrohemia

Pyrohemia IncGamers Member

I think that this is a part of the quest your characters partake in and that the artisans will achieve their maximum level through normal play. I highly doubt that it will require grinding in order to level them up completely. You are already playing one character, you don't need to play 3 more as well. As such I think that they are individual to each player. I also think that in multiplayer you will see the artisans at your characters level not at the level of the host. The caravans appear to have been carefully designed to have the same footprint at each artisan level so that their appearance is merely a 'skin' rather than a part of the level design.

The ability to specialize your artisans is something that will give you a bonus for having multiple leveled artisans. Different characters can specialize their artisans along different paths.

On the divergent topic:

While you will clearly be limited to one account under Bnet 2.0 I sincerely hope that the character limit is very generous. It wouldn't be too hard for blizzard, assuming no realm-unique name requirement, to have such that if you play a character for, say, 10 hours it is kept forever more. Even if someone plays for 20 000 hours making a new character every 10 hours the storage requirements on blizzards part wouldn't be onerous.

16. NASE

NASE IncGamers Member

I seriously doubt that you will have finished the artisans in a single play through. That just isn't diablo. Everything takes huge amounts of time, you don't even level your own character with a single play through.

17. Knight_Wolf

Knight_Wolf IncGamers Member

In the latest interview with Jay (check here --> http://diablo.incgamers.com/blog/comments/jay-wilson-interview-indiablo.de-part-one/ and here http://diablo.incgamers.com/blog/comments/jay-wilson-interview-indiablo.de-part-two/ ) he mentions the artisan specialization thing .. it is different from leveling up and it gives people a good reason to level up all their blacksmiths/mystics .. but i don't think it will affect the jeweler guy.

18. Occulus cant be ethereal

Occulus cant be ethereal IncGamers Member

Yes, moreover when you get your character around game ending level, your artisans will also be around certain levels depending how they are used. I think the amount of time to level all your artisans and have them learn everything will take longer than getting your character to level 99 (or whatever level will be max in D3...I forgot).

At the end of the day it will probably be made easier to have each characters artisan craft stuff exclusively rather than one characters high level artisans supplying all the characters on the account.

19. blackbisket

blackbisket IncGamers Member

First off thanks for all the responses, guys.

Well im hoping I can maje one guy with fully lvled artisans, then just have low lvl ones on the others for the special skills each gives you in the game. I think thats going to be the best way IMO, and I hope it true.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2010
  20. Valorian

Valorian IncGamers Member

It's probably safe to say that because the Artisans are quest-related, and also form an aspect of customization to your toon, that they will not be enabled across the board for all your toons on your account.

The proof is in the specialization that JW mentioned after you've max leveled your artisan.