Latest Diablo 3 News
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Artisans = Everyone Loves 'em!

Discussion in 'Diablo 3 General Discussion' started by Flux, Aug 26, 2010.

1. Flux

Flux Administrator

Artisans = Everyone Loves 'em!

Okay, not everyone, but we've run a lot of votes on D3 features, and this is by far the most agreement we've ever seen, pro or con.

http://diablo.incgamers.com/blog/comments/vote-how-do-you-feel-about-artisans/
    The vote has only been up for a day, and the percentages may change a bit, but damn! That's almost 92% who either love or like, and less than 2% who definitely do not like. I don't think we could ask about any other game feature that would get that level of support. Hell, asking which if you guys were going to buy Diablo 3 would get a lower level of support.

I communicated the vote totals to Bashiok, who replied as expected:

thank god for that. we base our merit reviews on the diii.net poll approvals.

What, you thought he was only sarcastic in forum posts?

It occurred to me that this would be a perfect quote for the site header. Just scrape clear the evidence of sarcasm, and it's golden!

2. Mad Mantis

Mad Mantis D2/3 Necromancer & Witch Doctor Moderator

Re: Artisans = Everyone Loves 'em!

There's not a lot to not like about them. They take the crafting from D2 and expand on it in a pretty logical way.

3. blackbisket

blackbisket Diabloii.Net Member

That and they add unique, quests and story to D3!!!

4. permaximum

permaximum Banned

I took that as an insult to diii.net (since 1997) readers.

It definetely shows something as even i liked it a bit. (except a few things like upgrade animation)

5. TheMythe

TheMythe Diablo: IncGamers Member

What's not to like?
    They add more of an RPG-feel because you finally have someone to extensively talk to. Next to all that hack/slashing you need to do.
    I hope there are also rare merchants/artisans outside in the field on remote places such as wizard towers or tribal caves or convents etc...

If they're trying to give this game a worldly feeling (Sanctuary) than it would be best to add alot of main/side quest NPC's.

6. konfeta

konfeta Diabloii.Net Member

You think they will add rainbows and explosions to spice it up even further down the road? They did promise to "improve" the animation!

7. TheMythe

Well, they cannot possibly make it any worse unless they add my little pony unicorns.

Why not upgrade while toon is out of town. No squishy bears needed than just the fact of NOT being there.

8. korialstraz

korialstraz Diabloii.Net Site Pal

Seriously? You liked it a bit, but complain about upgrade animation!?

Did you take a look at SC2 during development? They were refining the graphics almost all the way until release. Heck I believe it was only a couple months or so before release, and they were still making graphical changes to the game! So imo you can't really form an accurate opinion on the artisans upgrade animation, as it's most likely atm only a placeholder animation, or will see improvements later on.

And just so it's said, I'm not out to just bash your opinions on D3 (second time today). =P I just find it weird someone can complain about graphics when all we've seen is footage of very early versions of the game.

9. TheMythe

'Tis true that the polishing happens last in game developland.

10. Moonfrost

Moonfrost Diabloii.Net Member

I think their attempts to create all these gold sinks really show how much they want to create a working economy for D3, with gold as proper currency. I hope the fully upgraded artisans won't look out of place, as they might end up a lot more visually impressive than their surroundings (e.g. New Tristram in Nightmare/Hell).

Don't worry about Permaximum, he likes to complain about most things related to D3 even when doing so makes no sense. :)

11. Pyrohemia

Pyrohemia Diabloii.Net Member

How do you communicate with Bashiok? Do you have a special red phone line to Irvine? Or maybe you project the outline of a troll with a searchlight and he is summoned to the rooftop?

12. permaximum

permaximum Banned

@konfeta

So it will be still "Magic" huh? I hope the 5th character will be able to use that type of magic to fight demons. I imagine i hit the "Magic" skill and Tada ! Just upgraded a rock to a castle !

@korialstraz

Could you show me what graphcial improvements have you seen in the last 2 years? I guess your answer is "No". That wasn't the case for SC2. If all these graphics and animations are placeholders and they will be improved last, then D3 won't be released in the next few years.

BTW when will we criticize the game? When it's released? Isn't it too late?

@Moonfrost

I don't like to complain about D3 in fact. I wish i could have supported it since the beginning... But so far generally speaking, demo players have justified my concerns.

13. Moonfrost

Moonfrost Diabloii.Net Member

Either that or an instant messaging program. ;)

14. Pyrohemia

Pyrohemia Diabloii.Net Member

Umm... Interface: All new several times. Skill effects: Various ones are changed regularly. Blood splatters: Stated as needing improvement. Health globes: Changed. Someone pointed out a few days ago that the barbarians tattoos were back, although I don't know if this is true or whether they were ever gone.

15. permaximum

permaximum Banned

I meant the game's actual look. Because SC2's look had been improved since it's announcement.

Where are the normal maps, diffuse, specular and other effect channels? SC2 has adopted them.

In fact the upgraded animation thing is something else. It's the ill-minded design philosophy like sudden appearence of mounts under your *** from a popular game :)

16. Apocalypse

Apocalypse Diabloii.Net Member

what the plus minus on these polls? how many people do you think always answers the worst answer no matter what? i ask cause to me that number for "do not like" is higher than i would have thought. i see no reason not to like a feature that can be ignored but adds so much to those wanting to participate

17. korialstraz

korialstraz Diabloii.Net Site Pal

Actually I can if I can find the link. It's not major changes, but fine tuning the graphics, which really made a lot of difference imo. For instance a SC2 got a lot of flack for looking too bright. But Blizz eventually came to the point where they could start focusing on fine tuning the graphics after having done a lot of balancing. And they made it a bit more darker and more SC2 themed.

And I'm not saying we shouldn't critizise the game, but at least try and keep in mind that things may/will change later in development. Don't you agree it would be a lot nicer with a feedback like for instance "The artisans seems awesome, but I'm not sure I like the current animation." instead of "I don't like the animation"

18. Doppel

Doppel Banned

This.

You might as well make a poll asking "What do you think about this usable stuff feature" and 90+% will answer "I think usable stuff is awesome", which is kinda obvious as "usable stuff" is a key aspect of the game, naming them "usable stuff" instead of "items" and giving them a magic property more or less won't make much of a difference.

19. theeliminator

theeliminator Well-Known Member

Do you want to watch him build a new shop? Cause that would be fun... yeah build that shop for 10mins as I wait here. Or how about you have some SUVs come in and start to build it...

Actually if you take a look at the first pics of the barb compared to the pics shown last week you can see a marked improvement in detail.

We will get a better Idea of the graphical improvements at blizzcon, where I am sure they will have a new build of the game. Maybe a look into act 3

20. Flux

Flux Administrator

Maybe, but mostly he's just sarcastic about stuffs. As evidenced by most of his public pronouncements.

Seriously though, what better way does Bliz, or anyone, have to judge the popularity of game features than our main page votes? You can get a consensus via forum reading, but forum posters are self-selected, and are by definition a vocal minority.

That's not some aberration; the vocal minority drives the most changes to games and virtually everything else in this world. Obviously anonymous internet polls on a D3 fansite aren't exactly the scientific method idealized, but they're about as representative of the community as anything can be, at this point.