Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Artisans and Multiplayer

Discussion in 'Diablo 3 General Discussion' started by GoldenBird, Aug 22, 2010.

1. GoldenBird

GoldenBird IncGamers Member

Artisans and Multiplayer

As great as the artisan system works, the only flaw is that I don't see how it's going to work in multiplayer.

There are 4 different "levels", if I remember correctly. So far the max amount of players is 4. They also mentioned that there will be 5 different artisans. How, then, is that going to work out? They said that the artisans "follow" you around, and so you would have your individual blacksmith or mystic or whatever. So, in theory, it's possible to have 20 different artisans in a town. Is that not a little ridiculous?

Okay, so maybe you could solve the problem, or maybe I'm wrong, and the artisan can be shared by the other players, so there's only 5 artisans and they just "follow" everyone. However, we still have the different "levels" of mastery. It was shown in Jay's video that the graphics for the artisan's work area will change as they "level up." So then how would they deal with that? That means that if people have a different level of mastery on their artisan then it's possible to have yet again 20 artisans. To me, that sounds a bit ridiculous.

Anyhow, how exactly is that going to be dealt with. Will there be an area for artisans in every town? Will we see 4 of every artisan in town? Do you think they will change the system?

The most logical thing I can think of is to simply omit the fact that the graphics change for each "level." Then everyone can just share the artisans (but of course their recipes will remain specific to them).

2. sinter

sinter IncGamers Member

Re: Artisans and Multiplayer

There will be only 3 artisans - The Blacksmith, The Jeweler and The Mystic. Yes they will follow u around and will set up their shops in every town you go to.

Blizzard can handle the multyplayer issue (if its an issue at all) in a number of ways. We probably wont see every player''s artisans in the town because the space is limited. One way is for everyone to see the artisans of the person who created the game but they wont be able to make him craft items. Or mbe the artisan will craft items for everyone but the fee will be higher and the game creator will get part of the gold. Or mbe everyone will be able to see only their own artisan which shouldn't be a big problem since they are always found in the same place.

3. Apocalypse

Apocalypse IncGamers Member

i think the word "follow" is being over used. cain "followed" you in D2 i assume it will be the same situation here. the artisans will all be set up in the same spot each game and most likely they will use the hosts graphics(like how if the host never saved cain he was not in town) but each player will only have access to the recipe/skills/level of "their" artisan.

4. sirroman

sirroman IncGamers Member

We can't be sure yet if there's gonna be 3 or 5. (What, they changed it in less then a week? the same week they announced the artisans? Cuh-razy!)

5. Occulus cant be ethereal

Occulus cant be ethereal IncGamers Member

I thought when the artisans are in town, they are in the same spot and the graphics the players see are their own artisans (graphics).

6. konfeta

konfeta IncGamers Member

7. NotaBot

NotaBot IncGamers Member

It seems likely that the artisans will be at the town of every act, there will be only 1 complete set of artisans, and they will appear to you as the level you have them at. other players artisans will appear to them at the appropriate level of advancement.

8. GoldenBird

GoldenBird IncGamers Member

I do believe that the announcement said that there will be 5 in the end (if all goes as planned) but at the moment only 3 have been developed. I could be wrong though.

I thought of this, but I'm wondering if they would go to the trouble of doing so.

As everyone suggesting that it would be the host's artisans' graphics, I guess that would make sense too. Imo it sort of makes the whole graphic thing pointless though.

9. konfeta

konfeta IncGamers Member

Why wouldn't they? If they are doing it to entire zones in WoW, doing it in D3 is technically so much simpler.

10. Killafornia

Killafornia IncGamers Member

In the blizzcon 09 Q&A they said they weren't going to do phasing in d3, until after release if they find a good reason because it would be too time consuming to add it to the current engine. Although this may be the opportunity they where looking for since it would be so small scale. Although I like the idea of sharing the host's artisans better. It would potentially allow you temporary access to some nice recipes you haven't found yet.

11. konfeta

konfeta IncGamers Member

Really? That's a shame.

12. sinter

sinter IncGamers Member

Guess i was listening more carefully to Jay. Bashiok just confirmed that there will be only 3 artisans and the confusion probably came from each artisan having 5 upgrade levels. ;)

13. djfriesen

djfriesen IncGamers Member

why can't each player see his or her own graphical version of the respective artisan. i suspect they will occupy the same "tile" for everyone (like cain was always in the same general area in each act's town). so, in each town, there will be a place for a blacksmith, a mystic, and a jeweler. depending on the advancement of the individual's artisans, that is how each player can interact with them. so player 1 sees his level 2 blacksmith and has access to the recipes he has unlocked, while player 2 sees her level 3 blacksmith, occupying the same space as player 1's smith. i can't imagine character-specific graphics will be a problem, and this would be the simplest solution, i would think. am i missing something?

14. Leugi

Leugi IncGamers Member

Just for the sake of this thread. There's a Bashiok post here:

[BLUE="http://forums.battle.net/thread.html?sid=3000&topicId=26560499014&forumId=12007&postId=265582597960#4"]You will see and interact with your own caravan while in a multiplayer game.

That doesn't stop someone from crafting something from their upgraded artisan and trading it to you, of course. [/BLUE]

So yeah, we only see our own caravan...

15. blackbisket

blackbisket IncGamers Member

So does this mean each will see there own upgraded Artisans graphics.

16. Mad Mantis

Mad Mantis D2/3 Necromancer & Witch Doctor Moderator

Yes, it does mean that.

17. blackbisket

blackbisket IncGamers Member

Thx for the quote:smug:

Thx for the further clear up:thumbup: