Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Arioc's Needle

Discussion in 'Barbarian' started by slam, May 23, 2005.

1. slam

slam IncGamers Member

Arioc's Needle

I just found this weapon from hell baal. Is it a good weapon to base a WW barb around? I see it can hit the breakpoint with a Shael. I also have a bonehew but the Arioc's Needle mods are nice. +skills (3 on this one), Ignores targets defense, Poison Damage, and 50% DS.

Anyone had experience using it on a WW barb (or the bone hew)?

2. Generator Of Chaos

Generator Of Chaos IncGamers Member

Dump it in my opinion...or feed Charsi...

Bonehew can have SOME utility... But in PvP, you'll be owned by people with runeword weapons (a.k.a. big majority)

3. slam

slam IncGamers Member

sorry, should have mentioned I don't do pvp so how is it in a pvm capacity?

4. itsPizzarific

itsPizzarific Banned

i dont think he was talking about pvp, and it doesnt sound like he can afford botd gpa or anything.

both can be nice weapons, the chance to cast spear on bonehew doesnt work with ww though. ariocs for the nice ignore def, skills, poison damage and bonehew for raw damage and the 2os.

5. rikstaker

rikstaker IncGamers Member

Needle has more damage potential the bonehew,due to the deadly,+to skill & ITD meaning sureshot hits on normal monsters.Check the PVM section of my ww guide for more info.

Rik

6. Aerath

Aerath IncGamers Member

It's a nice weapon... You can always toss if on a merc if you don't want to use it yourself.

7. batuchka

batuchka IncGamers Member

I like spears and its style points :p The only problem is compared to polearms are its high dex requirements :( Unless you have +dex from gear thats some pts away from vita and could mean less life in hell pvm :( I found an eth mancatcher and just to tempt me it came with 4os hehe Dun have to make uber r/ws with that one just an Oath would do to hit lwwp. Eth Hone Sundan Ghost Spear 3*shael would be a great robo barb weapon with its CB too ..or eth Tomb Reaver *drools*

8. Liliel

Liliel IncGamers Member

What's the ED?

9. Diehard

Diehard IncGamers Member

I think it would be an excellent WW weapon, particularly if you don't have access to the high-end runewords (e.g. BoTD). ITD is highly underrated, definitely one of my favorite mods. Ariocs + Highlords seems like a natural combination (+skills, DS, IAS). Add in some crushing blow and you should have decent killing power. I don't see the stat requirements (155 str, 120 dex) as a huge issue, just design your build with those parameters in mind.

10. Omikron8

Omikron8 IncGamers Member

Shael'ed Arloc's + War Travs (NOT gores) + Highlords + Maxed Mastery + Might Merc + Whirlwind --> Fast rapid hitting low damage whirls, go for it! One problem that may exist is that arloc's needle as a spear has crappy durability? This will wear out fast in constant whirlwind.

11. sorcyone

sorcyone Banned

I've gone the route of Viperfork and Arioc's. Both are painful in Hell. I imagine Bonehew would be similar. The problems are :
    1. The dex req of 120 : Going shieldless you need the extra vitality.
    2. The level req is quite high - 81. There is not much else to use on the way except Hone Sundan.
    3. The durability of spears is low. The constant repairs both irritate you and drain your gold.
    4. The damage sucks. Oath runeword is quite cheap and you can do as much damage 1H with Oath than with either Bonehew or Ariocs. Also Oath can be used from quite a low level with Axes - level 45 with a Small Crescent and is indestructible so no repair hassles.

Between Ariocs and Bonehew - definitely the Bonehew. You can get deadly strike elsewhere. Bonehew has better base damage, PMH and low dex req. Plus there are many other better polearms you can switch to. Spears are quite limited.
    Still both Ariocs and Bonehew have quite short range (Ariocs 4 Bonehew 3). You may as well dual wield range 3 weapons like Butchers or death Cleaver.